Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOM: Any good halflings beyond slingers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOM: Any good halflings beyond slingers?

My central city is halfling and slingers abound, but is there any point in building up the city more? I cannot remember what halfling units there are beyond that.

I must say that MoM is pretty bad for that one-more-turn syndrome.
    "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
    "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
    - Pekka

Slingers are the top Halfling units available. You should make sure you have a Fighter's Guild so that they start as veterans (or whatever that first experience advancement is called).

You'll want a few Shamans around for purifying corruption and hitting units with missile immunity.
    "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Good point.
      Quick monsters immune to weapons/missiles are tough.

Do you know how to fix these volcanoes that Lo Pan keeps surrounding my city square with?
      - Pekka

Comment

For transforming volcanoes you need the 'change terrain' -spell. Other option is to cast gaia's blessing on that city, and eventually it will be changed to a mountain. These are nature-magic spells.

And I agree about the One-more-turn syndroma.
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

The halfling swordsmen are good because they have 8 figures. Of course you may want to throw a spell or two on them to improve their quality, but properly augmented they can really dish out the damage.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Wasn't it so, that halflings have default -1 swords/figure? Well, not from spearmen, but the rest of them? Thus swordsmen have only 2 swords/fig?

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
              Wasn't it so, that halflings have default -1 swords/figure? Well, not from spearmen, but the rest of them? Thus swordsmen have only 2 swords/fig?
              IIRC you are correct. This is why they benefit so much from heroism and other spells that boost their combat power. You add a few swords to eight figures, which is an enormous increase in power compared to the same spell thrown on a powerful single figure unit.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Actually, in my current game I have one set of elite? (is that the next one above veteran) swordsmen left over from the start and they keep spoiling my fun by killing everything when I thought I had a tough battle on my hands.
                - Pekka

Comment

Matty; Elite halfling swordsmen? The 8 figures have 4 swords, 3 shields, resistance 9!, +10% to hit, and they are lucky (adds 10% to-hit, to-block and resistance)

Thus they have 50% chance to make a hit with them swords... pretty good for a basic unit

Comment

Matty; Elite halfling swordsmen? The 8 figures have 4 swords, 3 shields, resistance 9!, +10% to hit, and they are lucky (adds 10% to-hit, to-block and resistance)
                    Yes. Compared to, say, an orc with 6 figures. they deal: 8 * 4 * 50% against 6 * 5 * 40 %.
                    Thus they hit 4 times where an orc of the same level hits only 3 times... Cast a few +spells on it, and the advantage grows even more.
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Yep. Flame blade & giant strength on those halfling swordsmen... 8*7*50% = 28, orcs only 6*8*40% = 19.2
                      but for gnolls... they have default +2 swords... 6*10*40% = 24.... still less than those halflings...

Comment

In the end the Paladins will ride over anybody yeaah I know they are high leveled units but they are my absolute favourites. Even units from other races in the same rank as the Paladin don't stand a chance. Put the flying spell on them too and you have won the game as they even take out dragons.
                        Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

I've been having a lot of fun with dark elf spearmen in my last couple games. You can build them for 25 shields with no city improvements; they cost no gold for maintenance. Stack a few together to take out easy monsters or neutral cities in the very early going; make the stack bigger, give them adamantium weapons, leadership, enchantments, etc., and you're rolling.

Comment

Galvatron - I agree, that paladins are great (because they are!). But when you get those adamantium paladins with flight, the game becomes a bit boring.

DaveV - I've noticed the same thing about those spearmen. The ranged attack is very effective against many opponents (with only a few shields). Since there are 8 of those spearmen, it gives a surprisingly heavy wallop on elite level. And same goes for barbarian spearmen.

Comment

[hmmm] dark elf spearmen...
                              - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                              X