Slow civ, won't go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow civ, won't go

I have tried to go back and play Civ I, which still haunts my computer. However, I have noticed (and this has been for the last 4/5 years) that the pieces move PAINFULLY slow. This occur when you move a piece from one square to another, it takes about 5 seconds for the "animation" to move the piece to the next square.

It wasn't always like this, in the old days the pieces moved like lightning. But with newer and faster computers, something has happened.

What do I need to do to fix this? I have played around with a few settings, but nothing seems to work.

If you are talking about the DOS-version; I have seen this problem also with my older computer, when i bought a new-at-that-time graphics accelerator.

All it needed was a modified boot disk. I just can't remember what changes were needed... try to play it with sound off - that sometimes helps...
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Hmm, I'm running Win98SE, I have the DOS version of Civ I. What do I need to do to create the proper boot disk? It's easy to create one, but what specific settings do I need for Civ I to be back to normal?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Same problem here.

Also tried running it with a modified bootup for DOS (equal to a boot disk I think) but that won't sort it out. My problem is that a lot of memory gets eaten up by the system before actually being usable for memory intensive matters. It makes DOS games dog slow, possibly to advertise the usageof the windows surface.

Comment

I got it to work at it's former brisk pace by using the "MSDOS for Games with EMS/XMS support" shell in the windows directory. I didn't have to reboot.

It looks like the problem is that Civ 1 doesn't do well running in a window.

Comment

Just get WinCiv, works fine under all Windows-versions.

Comment

Have you tried starting the game with "IBM Sounds"? On my computer (WinXP), the game is unbearably slow with all other sound choices, but runs with acceptable speed with "IBM Sounds".

edit: Sorry, I did not read the thread completely. Now, I'll try using a boot disk myself.

Comment

what shell in what directory?

Comment

Working...
                X