I just played the most bizarre game of Civ 1 ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just played the most bizarre game of Civ 1 ever

I was reminiscing about the original Civ 1 so I started it up again. Parameters: Earth map, 6 civs, Chinese, Emperor, one city challenge.

The Russians destroyed every Civ in Europe and then came demanding tribute. I said scram, preferring to keep my $400. About 1500 BC I feared the Aztecs were going to finish the Colossus first, so I rushed to buy it. To my absolute amazement I could! My treasury read 30,000 gold. From nowhere! And the most bizarre thing: it wouldn't go away. Every time I bought something, anything - a city improvement, a phalanx, a wonder - it reset my gold to 30789.

I know the cheat code to see the world map, and I've seen my fair share of bugs (the super squares at the north pole, the mysterious disappearing histograph, the neverending game, civs restarting on top of my legions, etc.) but I have never, ever seen anything like this in 10 years.
    Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. And perhaps everyone else, too.

Wrong forum!

Edit: Was in the Civ3-General forum, now corrected.
    Last edited by Tuberski; May 7, 2002, 18:16.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I have played Civ2 to death, but the only bug I have ever seen (as far as I remember) was a bug, when starting a new game, the pictures didn't change everytime they had to change, and the messages to years to shift...

...Maybe that's because I played the Amiga version...
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

"super squares at the north pole"?

What are these, I've never heard.
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

What's wrong about posting on a Civ 1 bug in a Civ 1 forum?
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

This was on the Civ3-General forum first, and moved then.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo

I've heard of these, but can't remember what it was about them. Other than you could go from one continent to another by them.
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Any elaborations on that vagueness?
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo

See section 5 of the attached FAQ file...
                  Attached Files

Comment

DaveV: the page cannot be found...?

I might try to find it somewhere on the net...
                    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Strange - I was able to download the file.

Here is the pertinent section (which I should have posted the first time - sorry!):

This problem occurs when your population increases over some number of
                      millions, and the full width of the screen is used. They then get written
                      into that portion of the map screen for some oddball reason. There is an
                      advantage or two to gotten from doing this, although the game becomes a
                      pain to play. Some of the grassland created becomes a mystery terrain type,
                      with 112 food production (113 with irrigation, if you ever get that
                      finished, plus 50% with railroads), 105 production (+50% with railroad) and
                      99 trade (+50% with railroads). It takes forever to build roads/railroads
                      on these squares, and I went back to an old save game where I didn't have
                      this city, as the game developed too many problems to be playable, for me,
                      at the time, although I should be able to have a city size of 1764 (roughly
                      55 size classes per square, as 2 food is required per size).
                      Note: your pollution would be impossible to deal with even two of these
                      squares being utilized, as each produces 99 resources.
                      ---Ron Bense

Comment

Those "super squares" really used to annoy me a lot. It usually messed up and crashed my game when I clicked the cursor on the north pole. Now I at least know why it's happening.

Comment

Super Squares are fun just to see how big your cities can become. Just make sure you save often because crashes are abound. I believe that I had a city over 100 pop heads one time.

Another bug I found one time was that when civ regeneration was on, the replaced civ was given a settler on a one square island. I was exploring the map trying to figure out where everyone else was and saw the settler in my ship. I killed it. When I finally destroyed all civs in the game, that civs still registered having existed. Their death was never registered because they never founded a city. So the game that I had hoped to win with conquest, turned into a boring task of sending up a space ship with no competition. That was probably the worst bug I ever dealt with or at least most frustrating.
                          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                            Super Squares are fun just to see how big your cities can become. Just make sure you save often because crashes are abound. I believe that I had a city over 100 pop heads one time.

Another bug I found one time was that when civ regeneration was on, the replaced civ was given a settler on a one square island. I was exploring the map trying to figure out where everyone else was and saw the settler in my ship. I killed it. When I finally destroyed all civs in the game, that civs still registered having existed. Their death was never registered because they never founded a city. So the game that I had hoped to win with conquest, turned into a boring task of sending up a space ship with no competition. That was probably the worst bug I ever dealt with or at least most frustrating.
                            I had this happen once. So the rest of the game was just fighting those barbarian outbreaks or seeing what happens when you get a goodie hut at Combustion
                            "Dave, if medicine tasted good, I'd be pouring cough syrup on my pancakes." -Jimmy James, Newsradio

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion

Comment

Working...
                            X