No announcement yet.

XP Is Terrible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asher, I'd hate to break it to you, but who here makes more sense: the one who says XP never crashes, or the one who says it does once or so a week? Even those news magazines agree with me. I'm hardly "bull****ting"...

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
      Asher, I'd hate to break it to you, but who here makes more sense: the one who says XP never crashes, or the one who says it does once or so a week? Even those news magazines agree with me. I'm hardly "bull****ting"...
      Nobody here's saying it never crashes. I've said mine has never crashed since the time it did with the bad driver in the beta. And my opinion is shared by many, many people, including MichaelTheGreat. There are people I know that have had XP crash on them, but NO ONE has it happen "2-3 times a week". If it's that often, something is seriously wrong.

Which news magazines agree with you that XP crashes "2-3 times a week"? That's what's bull****. If it's that unstable, the problem is with a device driver, not XP itself, that much is patently obvious to anyone who knows what they're talking about.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Which news magazines agree with you that XP crashes "2-3 times a week"?
        I believe it was Time, late last year. Btw, I said it crashed "once or so" a week for me, not "2-3" times.

As for the device drivers causing the problem, somehow I doubt that. The computer I'm on now is pretty well covered with the latest from ATI and only once has XP indicated to me that the Radeon was to blame for a crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
          I believe it was Time, late last year.
          You're going to have to do better than that, Wiggy. Because it's definitely news to me.

As for the device drivers causing the problem, somehow I doubt that. The computer I'm on now is pretty well covered with the latest from ATI and only once has XP indicated to me that the Radeon was to blame for a crash.
          Why would you doubt that? Device drivers cause upwards of 95% of crashes in Windows 2000 and XP. Many of them were rushed by the hardware developers to become available. The reason why that number is so high because, ever since NT 4.0, things like the graphics driver don't pass through the OS first before hitting the harddrive. NT 4.0, 2000, and XP remove that extra layer to get the speed boost. But it also means that if the driver screws up, it takes down your whole OS.

Learn about how modern OSes work, then you can come here and debate with me about how crashes happen and what causes them. I've got far more experience with PCs and computers overall than you do, and you're trying to basically say I'm wrong. That's fine, I expect that from you. Believe what you want, but you're talking out of your ass.

BTW, ATi actually has a horrible reputation for their graphics drivers. Their drivers are, by far, buggier than Nvidia's. Nvidia's drivers are the same for all their video cards, ATi makes new ones each time.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

hehehe..at it again eh?...they should give you your own forum

I'm sorry to hear your crash story but I am still waiting for my first XP crash.I've had tons o stuff going(including notepad) and it hasn't happened yet.I'm sure it will...someday
            I had exactly 2 crashes on my MAC in 3-3 1/2 years.I'd say that is just peachy.

Maybe I am just lucky.Or it could be that I keep my machines maintained and in good order at all times

BTW-I also have an ATI card with no problems.Civ3 ran out of the box-no fiddling.
            AND...so did that game of the century candidate:Survivor:The Interactive Game.Beleive me,to run this "game" without video problems is a minor miracle.
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Working...
            X