Mac Port System Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Port System Requirements

Nate Birkholz of MacSoft announced the system requirements for the Mac version of Civ3 on Inside Mac Games:

* MacOS 8.6 or higher or MacOS 10.0.4 or higher
    * 300MHz iMac G3 or better (500MHz preferred)
    * 64M RAM for the classic MacOS (96M preferred), 128M for MacOS X.
    * 500MB Hard disk space (650MB preferred)

Mac Civ3 is currently in beta according to Westlake Interactive's web site.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I can't imagine running this game at 300 but those aren't too,too bad.8.6 is good news.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

how do i know my mhz? about this computer just tells me built in and virtual mb (96, built in)

the two things are seperate right? i don't know that much about computers, just how to use them

good christmas news
      Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Damn, it looks like I won't be playing Civ III for a while yet.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d_dudy
          how do i know my mhz? about this computer just tells me built in and virtual mb (96, built in)

the two things are seperate right? i don't know that much about computers, just how to use them
          Search for "Apple System Profiler". Pull it up and look around, you should find your processor model in there. (it's the mac equiv of dxdiag, more or less)

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf

Search for "Apple System Profiler". Pull it up and look around, you should find your processor model in there. (it's the mac equiv of dxdiag, more or less)
            thanks, found it. seems i have 333mhz, i bet civ3 will be slow. hopefully bradman will tell us how well it runs on differant machines
            Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Can the processor be upgrade? Where can I find a faster one? I can't seem to locate them at apple.com. My CivII game plays fast. I'm hoping it has more to do with the engine because I've got a CTP game that plays like crap (very slow). I believe Macsoft translated them both.
              "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
              I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
              --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Hmm..don't know. PC mobos can be upgraded depending on system, but I'm not sure about macs. Pricewatch doesn't seem to list any, neither does apple, so it's not likely.

Comment

Dojo and Wig: Motherboard upgrade kits have existed in the past. I'd check out a big catalog like MacWorld. You can also call CompUsa. I remember there were some popular upgrades to the G3 when it first came out, and I know there are upgrades to G4, which will no doubt carry MHz upgrades as well. As for whether there are any for your particular model, you'll have to see. I doubt there will be much for iMacs due to their tiny chassis.

In any event, mother board upgrades tend to be expensive, so you might want to consider dumping your current model on EBay and buying a new one Hopefully, I'll be looking at a shiny G5 or titanium powerbook next year

--The doc

Comment

Or go to Low End Mac and look up your Mac model. See if they have a link to a computer upgrade manufacturer.
                    Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

tried to delete

--Trying to delete this--
                      please ignore--denies me permission to delete my message
                      Last edited by Dr. K.; December 20, 2001, 03:58.

Comment

G4 and G5 optimization

Originally posted by MarkG
                        Nate Birkholz of MacSoft announced the system requirements for the Mac version of Civ3 on Inside Mac Games:

* MacOS 8.6 or higher or MacOS 10.0.4 or higher
                        * 300MHz iMac G3 or better (500MHz preferred)
                        Can someone (Nate, Brad, Markos) enlighten us also as to whether there will be G4 optimized code (and G5-optimized, when G5s are phased in)?

Comment

Re: G4 and G5 optimization

Originally posted by Dr. K. Can someone (Nate, Brad, Markos) enlighten us also as to whether there will be G4 optimized code (and G5-optimized, when G5s are phased in)?
                          I'll start with the obvious: I've never seen a G5, so I have no clue on adding G5-optimized code. As for the G4s, there are some optimizations in the rendering, particularly under 10, but nothing that will make a significant difference.

The biggest CPU drain in Civ3 is the AI. It'll be playable on low-end Macs, but what you'll find is that the slower your Mac is, the more time you'll spend waiting in between turns for the computer to move the other civs. Starting with the 1.16 patch (included in the Mac version), there are options to greatly disable a lot of the animations you'd see in other civs to speed the game up, if that becomes a concern.

Brad
                          Brad Oliver
                          bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

Working...
                          X