Based on the reaction to the PC version, who here is going to buy Civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Based on the reaction to the PC version, who here is going to buy Civ3

A perusal of the Civ3 general forum will indicate that there is a significant negative reaction to Civ 3. So, considering that and the fact that the reviews appear to be divided, will you get it?
    YES: i will by anything by sid meier
    7.14%
    YES: everyone who doesn't like it is a bloody fool
    14.29%
    YES: it appears to be a decent game
    28.57%
    YES: it looks bad but i'll get it anyway
    7.14%
    NO: I only buy good games
    0.00%
    NO: why play Civ 3 when you can play SMAX multiplayer
    0.00%
    BANANA
    42.86%
    "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Still don't know yet, I'm going to play it on a friend's machine first. Reviews are way too divided for comfort, but it's still very likely I'll pick it up.

Comment

i'm gonna get it, fo sho

did i just say fo sho? well anyway......why the hell is banana winning?
      Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Still fence sitting

I simply haven't decided. I want to see it first. I hope to see a copy at MacWorld SF. If I can mess with it a bit there I will base my decision on that. Else I'll have to try to convince my local Mac only retailer to load it on a machine

Flomp.
        *flomp*

Comment

Westlake can't, on their own power independant from infograms/firaxis, release a demo, can they? I don't think they've done it before...

Comment

hehehe...I don't think a demo will help sell this game.

You really need to decide for yourself.The economy needs a boost so buy the darn thing and then you can see what to hate and what to like.

Nice thing is any mac publisher can say-"Hey,we didn't make the game..we just ported it"
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Originally posted by Smash
              hehehe...I don't think a demo will help sell this game.

You really need to decide for yourself.The economy needs a boost so buy the darn thing and then you can see what to hate and what to like.

Nice thing is any mac publisher can say-"Hey,we didn't make the game..we just ported it"
              didn't the soviets used to encourage people to buy things they didn't need to help the economy? i'd like people to buy civ3 that didn't even have computers. that would be good stuff.

buy on, comrades!

Comment

oh no..you could not be more wrong.Today the capitalist rules.
                You don't buy a game anymore.You invest in it and hope enough money is raised for the game to go to phase 2-the phase where it actually gets finished.
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Smash - is it worth the money? Come on, that'd end it once and for all.

Comment

Admiral, et al.:

When I found out that Civ III would be ported to the Macintosh platform, I said I'd buy it. That hasn't changed, because I made a promise and I stand by it. The burden now rests on the shoulders of Sid Meier, Firaxis, Infogrames and, yes, Westlake/Macsoft. I hope they can live up to the responsibility to put out a good game, one worthy of the Civilization title. So far, Team Sid and Team Infogrames has been less-than-stellar, IMHO. Obvious bugs getting through is a sign of a team not working at its peak performance.

My promise stands. But the reputations of TPTB ride on my promise. I will buy the game, and if it's subpar, reputations will suffer.

CYBERAmazon
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

is it worth it?

depends how rich or poor you may be.If you can only get 1 game in the next 6 months.....tough call.The 1st patch is out next week,providing no new problems arise.We'll know more what direction the game is going and perhaps get some info on the skill level of the programers.The game may improve drastically over the next 6 months.Civ2 had a bunch o patches...although most were for mp issues...MGE was still left with a very hostile AI.

If you have money to spend on some goodies for yourself..then its a decent buy.I only paid the equivalent of $35 US.Unfortunately,that is not considered much money these days.

I'm just wondering how much I will have to pay to get the other half of the game.Most likely there will be expansion packs of some kind.There is potential here....this one game could evolve into several using the one engine.There will also be more and more player created stuff.Its going along pretty good allready on that front considering the tools people were given.

Imagine a Red Front with animated units and strategic resources...bombard ability,air superiority......I get giddy just thinking about.It would be an awful shame to miss something like that.....should it happen.

Comment

Better than civ2? About the same fun factor, but different gameplay? Probably not, since you more or less ruled it out as game of the year. But hey, there's always Empire Earth for you peecee users, right Smash?

I'm really only curious to see if it'd compare well to civ2. That's a great benchmark to judge it by - if yes, then the $35 is well spent, if not, then I could probably stick with MPGE until the price drops.

Comment

Originally posted by Smash
                          oh no..you could not be more wrong.Today the capitalist rules.
                          You don't buy a game anymore.You invest in it and hope enough money is raised for the game to go to phase 2-the phase where it actually gets finished.
                          but instead of investing in a good company with a bright future you try to invest in a bad product with, hopefully, a bright future

is that what you're saying?

edit: typo

Comment

I'll buy it even though the reviews are mixed. If it's good I'll have a new game to play. If not then at least I gave it a fair chance.
                            Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                            X