bradman: starting positions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bradman: starting positions?

hey, i was wondering, if for some insave reason, firaxis decides not to put real starting positions as an option in a patch can you do that for us?

basically, can you change the game like that, or do you have to make the game exactly like what firaxis made?
    Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Re: bradman: starting positions?

Originally posted by d_dudy
    hey, i was wondering, if for some insave reason, firaxis decides not to put real starting positions as an option in a patch can you do that for us?

basically, can you change the game like that, or do you have to make the game exactly like what firaxis made?
    I don't think I have any leeway to rearchitect the game to make anything other than what would be considered a bugfix or correction to the game logic to clarify an ambiguous situation.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the reference to starting positions. I believe it's possible to assing a fixed starting position in scenarios, but I'm not certain that the editor currently allows you to set this option if that's what you mean.

Brad
    Brad Oliver
    bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

Re: Re: bradman: starting positions?

Originally posted by bradman

I don't think I have any leeway to rearchitect the game to make anything other than what would be considered a bugfix or correction to the game logic to clarify an ambiguous situation.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the reference to starting positions. I believe it's possible to assing a fixed starting position in scenarios, but I'm not certain that the editor currently allows you to set this option if that's what you mean.

Brad
      the people in civ general keep saying that the starting positions on earth are completely random
      Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

I don't think that, outside of a PC patch, westlake would have the power to fix gameplay issues like that on the fly. doesn't firaxis or their publisher limit the power porting companies have?

Comment

Bradman, et al.:

I would not only like to decide the starting location of a civilization, but also the civilization itself. As it stands now, I understand one can only choose a civilization's starting position, but not which civilization will start there.

If there isn't a PC patch for this that is then included in the Macintosh release, it will be a *huge* omission. I really don't want to play on an Earth map with Egypt in North America and the United States in central Asia unless it's by *my* decision via the game editor.

CYBERAmazon
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
            I don't think that, outside of a PC patch, westlake would have the power to fix gameplay issues like that on the fly. doesn't firaxis or their publisher limit the power porting companies have?
            I can't really add to the gameplay, but I can fix issues which are certainly bugs. I patched SMAC well beyond what the PC version was, for example.

Brad
            Brad Oliver
            bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by CYBERAmazon
              I would not only like to decide the starting location of a civilization, but also the civilization itself. As it stands now, I understand one can only choose a civilization's starting position, but not which civilization will start there.
              Are you talking about in the scenario editor or the game itself? Obviously, i have no problems picking a civ in the game.

As for scenarios, the scenario editor isn't complete by any strech. I'm not sure I've seen a "finished" scenario for that matter. The engine itself doesn't appear to have any limitations on what/where a civ starts - I believe this is all a function of the editor.

Brad
              Brad Oliver
              bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

Bradman, it's really very simple. All I wanna do when I get civ 3, is start up a game on a huge world map, choose my civ as the babylonians, and find myself in the Kuwait region. 1000 years later I'd like to find the Indians, to the East. That's about it.
                "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                Drake Tungsten
                "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                Albert Speer

Comment

Are you talking about in the scenario editor or the game itself? Obviously, i have no problems picking a civ in the game.

As for scenarios, the scenario editor isn't complete by any strech. I'm not sure I've seen a "finished" scenario for that matter. The engine itself doesn't appear to have any limitations on what/where a civ starts - I believe this is all a function of the editor.

Brad
                  Bradman:

Hmm ... I was led to understand that, as Civ III is currently set up for the PC, one cannot choose which civilization will start in a pre-determined starting point.

IOW, a person can — via the map/scenario editor (one and the same, or two separate programs?) — put a civ starting point in the British Isles, but not necessarily end up with Britain starting there (as it stands now). Why? Because, as I understand it, the player has no power to assign the actual civ which would start in that selected location.

I think Monolith94 is saying what I'm trying to say, but only more clearly. I want to put the Aztecs in modern-day Mexico, not just a civ starting marker that might end up occupied by, oh, China.

CYBERAmazon
                  "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

The engine itself doesn't appear to have any limitations on what/where a civ starts - I believe this is all a function of the editor.

Brad
                    Something good from reading Mac forums without a Mac.

If this is true I have some reasearch to do...
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                    X