No announcement yet.

Early iMacs - what were they thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early iMacs - what were they thinking?

some faults with the initial revision iMacs, most are pre-DV and SE:

1) you need a paperclip to restart the majority of crashes
    2) the power button on the monitor is completely useless
    3) the keyboard takes some getting use to, for no real benefit
    4) the total lack of a floppy drive (what gives?)
    5) the problems with connecting to the internet without an existing account - in reality a first time user would spend at least twenty-thirty minutes trying to get online
    6) expanding (RAM, etc) is much harder than it should be
    7) the cost was too high - even though the unit looked awesome and had a great processor, with the above downsides $1400 is a bit much.
    8) not see-through enough

anyone have a DV or SE that can say if any of these are really fixed, especially dealing with RAM and restarts? I'm pretty sure they are from reading feature lists, but since I haven't really used a newer iMac model personally, I can't be 100% sure.

still, PCs in 1998 weren't any more user friendly in my experiance, and although we are looking at four year old technology here, it shows how much apple has improved over time. can't believe this thing, or any computer, ever needed a paperclip to reboot, though.

i've never once used a paperclip on this thing and i have to restart it somewhat often. i cut the power and restart. where's the paperclip go?

don't have those internet problems

and my monitor power button works

hey, the damn thing'll run civ 3, i'm cool
    Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

the paperclip goes in on the side by the modem port on earlier models. if you don't have a slot for it, odds are you've got a modern version (SE/DV/late revision), which would answer my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
        the paperclip goes in on the side by the modem port on earlier models. if you don't have a slot for it, odds are you've got a modern version (SE/DV/late revision), which would answer my question.
        Dunno if this is applicable, but on all current Macs, holding down the power button for several (10?) seconds will force a hard reboot most of the time.

Brad
        Brad Oliver
        bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

i don't see spot for it and mine is pretty early.

try what bradman said, it's worked for me before i think. but i usually turn the whole thing off and wait 15 seconds for reboot. forgot where i read to do that.....let's the computer stop all its functions so the problem doesn't carry over to the next time. or something

Comment

Re: Early iMacs - what were they thinking?

I've had both the original iMac and an iMac SE 600MHz. So I'm going to answer your questions as best as I can.

1) you need a paperclip to restart the majority of crashes
            True the iMac first came with a pinhole that let you restart the machine. The iMac SE has replaced the pinholes with buttons.

2) the power button on the monitor is completely useless
            The original iMac monitor button is quite functional. The SE's is now the only power button. You can use a key-combo on the keyboard (control+eject), but only when the computer is on.

3) the keyboard takes some getting use to, for no real benefit
            If your a PC user getting use too the Mac command keys is odd. Plus the iMac skimps on the keyboard size and function. The iMac SE has a full-sized Mac keyboard with full functionality. PC users gasp in amazement at the forward delete key.

4) the total lack of a floppy drive (what gives?)
            Lets face it. The floppy is obsolete. All the Mac programs you want to run on the iMac come on CDs. Hey, it even comes with a System startup CD. Only reason for a floppy is backup and you can sign-up for online space, buy a Super Disk, or External HD.

5) the problems with connecting to the internet without an existing account - in reality a first time user would spend at least twenty-thirty minutes trying to get online
            I already have an online account, so I didn't have this problem. I do know that the iMac does let you sign-up with Earthlink if you don't have an account.

6) expanding (RAM, etc) is much harder than it should be
            I agree with you here. The Original iMac is just a modified Power Book. I hear the new iMacs have their RAM in an easier to access location. I've forgotten where though.

7) the cost was too high - even though the unit looked awesome and had a great processor, with the above downsides $1400 is a bit much.
            Macs have always been more expensive. They do have quality parts though, I'd imagine that condensing everything in with a monitor is expensive, and it comes with an Ethernet card which I am happy with. When I got a Cable Modem I just needed to plug it in and I was surfing the net. While my dad's PC had to have a card installed which took time and effort.

8) not see-through enough
            What was there to see? It had a grill that blocked the inside.

anyone have a DV or SE that can say if any of these are really fixed, especially dealing with RAM and restarts? I'm pretty sure they are from reading feature lists, but since I haven't really used a newer iMac model personally, I can't be 100% sure.
            The restarts are much friendlier in the new iMacs. The original didn't recognize most of the new 'tricks' at hardware level, but Apple has ironed out the bugs in newer models.

still, PCs in 1998 weren't any more user friendly in my experience, and although we are looking at four year old technology here, it shows how much apple has improved over time. can't believe this thing, or any computer, ever needed a paperclip to reboot, though.
            Yes, but the paperclip will get you out of a jam. A disk jam that is. A paperclip can be inserted into the pinhole of the drive to force the disk out. Even the iMac SE has a pinhole on the right in the slot-loading drive, though it's hard to see.
            Last edited by wgabrie; November 1, 2001, 14:52.
            Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

So THAT'S where the reset hole is! I've been looking for the damn thing for over a year! Well, thanks for the info.

BTW you forgot to mention the infamous 'puck' mouse.
              Mangez en donc un char

Comment

i like my puck mouse

Comment

Silex, glad I could help. Personally I think the puck mouse is fine after a while, especially since the Pro is $20 too expensive. I stuck with it for a long while and it never caused problems.

Comment

Re: Re: Early iMacs - what were they thinking?

Originally posted by wgabrie
                    I hear the new iMacs have their RAM in an easier to access location. I've forgotten where though.
                    If you flip over a newer iMac, you'll see a little hatch in the back. Pop it off and the RAM slots are right in front of you. Easiest RAM upgrade I've ever done.
                    What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Mary Jane

I think they were high
                      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
                      - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I have the brand new imac... It seems they've learned from past mistakes…
                        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                        Drake Tungsten
                        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                        Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                        X