Anyone want to.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want to.....

Guess the release date of the Mac version of Civ 3? I want to be optimistic, but I'm guessing it won't be out any sooner than February. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong....
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

not much progress

january at best. westlake's recent status update was less than encouraging.

Comment

Everyone:

Sometime before April 2002, I hope. The way things are looking, I might use Civ III as an excuse to buy a whole new iMac, rather than bothering to upgrade the OS and hunt down new memory.

According to Apple, OSX.1 requires 128 RAM!!!!!!!! Jesus! My iMac has 160 RAM! Besides that, I'm not sure where to look if I just want to upgrade to 0S9 ... in the long run, it'd probably be better to get OSX, though. Regarding RAM, I don't like having to rip the guts out of my machine in order to install new memory chips (had to do that once to get it to 160 RAM).

One way or another, I am getting Civ III. What I'll do w/my 'puter is another situation.

CYBERAmazon
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I think your iMac should run OS 10.1 fine if it has 160 megs of RAM. My G3 has 192 megs, but the processor is probably slower than yours and OS 10.1 runs great. The only problem I have with X is that it doesn't support the old Mac serial ports, so I can't print or use my peripherals, but your iMac should have USB which is fully supported. You might want to get a second opinion, but I think you're good to go.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Drake:

I like your words of optimism. Yet an OS that takes 128 of my 160 RAM leaves precious little leftover for other programs to use. I suppose I could use Virtual Memory if I became desperate enough. Or add memory if I don't mind seeing my machine's guts spread out on my bed again.

CYBERAmazon
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

I may be wrong, but I don't think OS X ever comes close to using 128 megs of RAM. Isn't the recommended amount of memory for the OS and the applications? I think you would be pleasantly suprised by the memory management system in OS X, the multitasking is excellent. I've had 6+ apps open, plus Classic before and iTunes never even missed a beat. But again don't quote me on this, just telling you my experience.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Drake:

OS plus apps equals 128 RAM recommendation? That's not so bad, but the part of Apple's Web site on was on didn't specify. It just said RAM requirements were 128. Maybe I'll do some more digging around as time (and enthusiasm) permit.

CYBERAmazon

Comment

i think the game will be out in spring at the earliest, but i'm hoping it'll have fewer bugs that our pc brethren catch.

the new news has me convinced i'll have to upgrade to os9
                Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

evidently not, thank God.

Comment

just saw that, although terribly embarrased i am releaved
                    Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CYBERAmazon I like your words of optimism. Yet an OS that takes 128 of my 160 RAM leaves precious little leftover for other programs to use. I suppose I could use Virtual Memory if I became desperate enough.
                      It's important to realize that OSX handles memory totally different from the classic MacOS. VM is always on, and works like it does in Windows or Unix. Applications and games don't have fixed memory sizes that you twiddle with - they take RAM on demand.

The VM in OSX is much more efficient than the classic MacOS - it pages in memory as the apps need it, not based on goofy Finder settings. Classic is a bit of a memory suck though, so if you run it, 128 is probably the minimum to keep your hard drive from thrashing a lot.

Brad
                      Brad Oliver
                      bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

Hey, a civ 3 mac programmer. Care to take a guess on the release date
                        Incidentally, I've heard that some programs don't work on OS X Classic (*coughSMAXcough*). Can anyone confirm or deny this?
                        "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

I think you can get around that by running in OS9 mode. I'm pretty sure OSX can handle all past and present mac software that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Incidentally, I've heard that some programs don't work on OS X Classic (*coughSMAXcough*). Can anyone confirm or deny this?
                            I have not heard that. It seems to work fine for me.

Brad
                            Brad Oliver
                            bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

We wouldn't expect a major release for the Mac to be out in time for the holiday shopping season, now would we? That would be contrary to the Wintel plans for world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X