No announcement yet.

Mac Civ3 news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it doesn't run on 8.5 then I buy a PC.

Thats just the way I feel.8.1 would be a wise decision I beleive.

wise for me anyhow
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Originally posted by Smash

wise for me anyhow
      what's the big damn differance between 8.5 and 8.6 for you? i don't get it, everyone uses 8.6+ now
      Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

wise for me anyhow
        Why a PC? I know if I have to, I'll use Civ III as an excuse to get a new computer, but it would be a Macintosh. Problem is, there are only three places in my entire state that officially support Macs (i.e. licensed by Apple). **sigh** Quality over quantity ...

CYBERAmazon
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

why a pc????

cuz I can get 3 times the machine for half the price.Not to mention availability of stuff to run on it.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Bradman - thanks alot for your clarification regarding Mac OS 8.6, as I know there are alot of people who must have freaked out when it was said that it would only run on OS9 or above. I don't know how that got out there either, as when I emailed Suellen Adams she didn't say anything of the kind to me.

Also one other question, if you are able to respond, even if only vaguely: we're all hearing 'February 2002' as the Mac Civ3 release date; that seems to be the common wisdom. Are you able to at all say if that is correct, or if we will be lucky and get it earlier, or... ???

Thanks alot.

S.

Comment

8.6 is a free update to 8.5, and more importantly, 8.6 allows us to require CarbonLib 1.2.5 which means we can use CarbonEvents, which make the app perform much better under 10 with no performance hits under 8/9.

If you want to buy a PC instead of installing a free upgrade, then by all means go for it.

Brad
              Brad Oliver
              bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by Pods Also one other question, if you are able to respond, even if only vaguely: we're all hearing 'February 2002' as the Mac Civ3 release date; that seems to be the common wisdom. Are you able to at all say if that is correct, or if we will be lucky and get it earlier, or... ???
                Typically, we set aside a month for first playable, a month for alpha, a month for beta and a month for "misc". We're almost to first playable now, so your guess at a GM date is as good as mine, based on that. It could go quicker if it stays as close, code-wise, to SMAC as it has. It could go longer if we run into a ton of bugs during beta, which would not be unusual for a game of this complexity.

So to answer your question, it's too early to say with any accuracy when it'll go GM.

Brad
                Brad Oliver
                bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

Although I have no idea of how scenarios will work, how mp will work (if it is in this version) I would like to know if those are fully compatable between the pc and mac version.

Will I still be able to make scenarios for PC users to play, will I be able to play scenarios made with the PC version?

And if MP is in (or when the patch is released) will I be able to play pbems/normal tcp/ip multiplayer games against PC players?

Thanks for all the answers so far
                  No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

why a pc????

cuz I can get 3 times the machine for half the price.Not to mention availability of stuff to run on it.
                    both computers have their very good uses...if your opinion slants toward a PC, then buy one, but don't argue with anyone about it.

and as brad said, get yourself 8.6, probably from www.apple.com. not a huge change from the looks of things, but gaming evidently takes a hit without it installed.

or just buy OS9 or X.1. running iTunes is the coolest that can't be done on a sub 9.0 system, and 10.1 is probably the best OS I've ever used, (PC or otherwise) especially in terms of stability. at $99 and with some hefty system reqs, you should probably wait it out until later, but always be on the lookout for a price cut. it's really worth it.

Comment

well if that is it..then pc here I come.There is no #$%^ing way I am going to go thru and update everything for 8.6.Browser plug ins alone would take hours.

Comment

Smash, et al.:

Stupid question here: If one upgrades their OS, does one have to reinstall all the software that didn't come w/the machine (i.e. Civ II, MS Word '98)? The question is brought up because you mentioned something about hours needed to simply upgrade browser plug-ins if you went to 8.6.

CYBERAmazon
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

well if that is it..then pc here I come.There is no #$%^ing way I am going to go thru and update everything for 8.6.Browser plug ins alone would take hours.
                          Browser plugins taking hours? Are we talking about the same MacOS 8.6? I didn't have to update any browser plugins for 8.6, and I can't fathom why you would have to.

Anyway, if you want to move to the PC based on preliminary specs from an unfinished Mac port, then I certainly won't try to talk you out of that. You've obviously been giving it consideration long before this, and it seems you'll be much happier switching, so I sincerely wish you the best in your migration.

Brad
                          Brad Oliver
                          bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik Will I still be able to make scenarios for PC users to play, will I be able to play scenarios made with the PC version?

And if MP is in (or when the patch is released) will I be able to play pbems/normal tcp/ip multiplayer games against PC players?
                            The scenarios should be cross-platform. If not, I would classify that as a bug. PBEM should be cross-platform too, as with SMAC.

As for MP, let's wait and see what happens with the PC version. As it stands right now, it's impossible because the PC version uses DirectPlay. That may change, and if it does, then MP games could be compatible. It's my fondest wish that they'll move away from DirectPlay.

Brad
                            Brad Oliver
                            bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

ell if that is it..then pc here I come.There is no #$%^ing way I am going to go thru and update everything for 8.6.Browser plug ins alone would take hours.

the switch to a PC, plugging it in and getting everything set up, would take about ten times as long. I don't see where you got your info from either, as everything remained the same on my system post upgrade. brad's right, though - your logic is a bit on the ridiculous side, making rash statements about reqs that are far from final.

As for MP, that's too bad. I'm not familiar with the ups and downs of Directplay, but I don't understand why a more compatable system couldn't be used, as found in several other games released years ago. Since most of my friends own macs, and SP eats up the majority of my time, this personally isn't a big deal, but I can see where the problem would come in for others.

Comment

Working...
                              X