Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wiglaf
    That's one thing I'll miss about it, Wiglaf doesn't have 'mac' anywhere

MacUser, I thought RAM went for a buck a meg? Man, where have I been! Pricewatch really has some compelling deals - half off what my local store wanted. The only problem for me is installing the stuff. Not my favorite thing to do (although it's been a while).
    Don't EVEN worry about the installation of RAM on the recent iMacs. I literally had my (then) 7 year old son open the back door with a quarter, and install a 256 MB DIMM in my iMac DV (400 MHz, I've lost track of the lettering designations). The Rev B (233 MHz) was a bit tricky, and required pulling out the guts a bit, so I had my 11 year old do that one! Both worked without a hitch. So do go for it! you'll be glad you did!

Note: If you want explict instruction with pictures, go to the MacAddict Forums and search the Maximum iMac Forum and search for RAM and/or install, etc.

Edit bad URL
    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
      MacUser, any word on a Civ3 Mac forum? Would Mark go for that? Might be something worth consideration.
      Not to my knowledge, but once the game is released I'll bet they start one as they did for SMAC and CtP.

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Not to my knowledge, but once the game is released I'll bet they start one as they did for SMAC and CtP.

They really should do it now, when mac users have something totally different from PC users to chat about. Potential system reqs, ship dates, etc.

Don't EVEN worry about the installation of RAM on the recent iMacs. I literally had my (then) 7 year old son open the back door with a quarter, and install a 256 MB DIMM in my iMac DV (400 MHz, I've lost track of the lettering designations). The Rev B (233 MHz) was a bit tricky, and required pulling out the guts a bit, so I had my 11 year old do that one! Both worked without a hitch. So do go for it! you'll be glad you did!

Note: If you want explict instruction with pictures, go to the MacAddict Forums and search the Maximum iMac Forum and search for RAM and/or install, etc.
        I'm pretty sure I've got an even tougher process ahead of me. Darnit, I don't have a 15 year old kid yet.

edit/ thanks for the link, I'm on it...

Comment

I have held off upgrading my Mac for 6 years (Performa 6290). I'm ready to go whole hog - totally cut the line to the past and buy the new 17" screen iMac/cube that Jobs will no doubt release before Christmas.

My concern is the compatibility thing. I really enjoy the mods for CivII but I find I am so limited in what I can use. Let's face it, almost all of the mods are made for PC's. I've converted a couple of basic ones, but since I don't have the Gold edition or Fantastic Worlds I am limited in my options.

I want to be sure that I'll be able to use all of the mods for CivIII or I too will be tempted to switch to the dark side.
          "I was a young man with unformed ideas. I threw out queries, suggestions, wondering all the time over everything, and to my astonishment, the ideas took like wildfire. People made a religion of them." - Charles Darwin

Comment

Originally posted by Satis5d
            I really enjoy the mods for CivII but I find I am so limited in what I can use. Let's face it, almost all of the mods are made for PC's. I've converted a couple of basic ones, but since I don't have the Gold edition or Fantastic Worlds I am limited in my options.

I want to be sure that I'll be able to use all of the mods for CivIII or I too will be tempted to switch to the dark side.
            I know what you mean. Fortunately, some community-oriented Mac user designed a scenario converter that I found somewhere. If you keep up to date on patches/expansions, converting shouldn't be too much of a problem.
            "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral

I know what you mean. Fortunately, some community-oriented Mac user designed a scenario converter that I found somewhere. If you keep up to date on patches/expansions, converting shouldn't be too much of a problem.
              There are two conversion AppleScripts on the Civ2-Mac web page, in fact I have an update to the Brian Neese script that I need to post! (surprize, surprize).

As for CivIII, I think that we are all (PC users too) in a wait and see mode to find out what mods are possible and how easy they will be to convert/port across platforms.

Keep the Faith! Just think, you can now claim to be a 'nix geek!

Comment

Working...
              X