What the heck happened to MacUser??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck happened to MacUser??

I thought that I'd explain my long absence from Civ as of late, especially since I thought I'd have more time after leaving Cub Scouts (well, mostly, I'm no longer Cub Master). I've started a new quest for a Computer Science of some sort!

That's right! The thirst to better understand OS X and UNIX (well that and I just think computers are fun!) has finally pushed me over the edge and I have returned to school for a Masters in Information Services Management or Computer Science (haven't explored the options enough yet)! Currently I have a BS in Chemistry, so 80% of the requirements for an undergraduate CS degree are complete. I just need to start taking CS prereq. for the Masters CS courses. For the quick start I'll start with programming courses at the community college which are transferable to a 4 yr. school and courses that develop skill sets that could be immediately used at work. Currently I'm looking at the Univ. of Missouri at Kansas City (mostly because that's near where I live and I still need to pay the bills and chase the kids). I plan on taking 2 or 3 courses per semester (probably for the rest of my natural live! :P ). I am considering smaller schools like Webster or DeVry, but I'm a bit concerned about having a school pedigree. I work for a large pharmaceutical company that uses NT (soon to which to Win2000 clients) and UNIX servers, Oracle and SQL databases, PERL scripts and is constantly needing competent IS support (especially interfacing analytical instruments to the network and LIMS). I'm hoping to leverage both degrees to make myself more valuable.

Thus far the first course, Programming Fundamentals, was very interesting and completely new to me. I wrote 10 programs in MS Quick Basic and just yesterday the final grades were posted and I earned an "A!" This coming semester I have enrolled in "Concepts of Programming Algorithms/C++" and "Implementing Windows 2000 Client." I've put off taking "Discreet Structures" so that I can still participate in Cub Scouts with my youngest son. I'm feeling pretty good about it all in all. However, my interest in computers has become more academic and work related and less recreational (relative to games anyway). Thus I have been come rather a ghost from the ACS site.

I especially mention this since I have not been much of a Moderator or "webmaster" for quite awhile. My apologies for neglecting those obligations. In regards to that if someone wants to step up to bat and help, if not replace me, please send DanQ, MarkG or myself an e-mail. I'm sure both DanQ and MarkG would be happy to have a more active contributor.

So, anyone else thought of plunging headlong into serious computer geek-dom after playing with OS X or 'nix variants?
    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Who are you and what is OS X?

The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Woah!

MacUser!!!

I'm not much into computers, but good luck all the same. These forums have been pretty quiet, so a helper mod might not be needed. All the spammers are in civ3 general

Welcome back.

Comment

Welcome back MacUser!
        As a sporadic poster myself, I sympathize with the time constraints. It takes me a month or more to finish small map games nowadays.
        I envy your current and future knowledge of programming, especially Mac programming. I guess I'm an advanced beginner with programming. I know some C, C++, and Assembly, but not enough to do anything really useful. Just make simple card games, craps, and stuff like that (given PLENTY of time of course ) Working in semiconductors, I don't do much with the programming aspect of things.
        Good luck with your degree persuits!

Hey Smash,
        OS X (pronounced oh-es-ten) is the newest operating system for Macintosh. It's UNIX based (or at least based on something like UNIX, not sure exactly) and is supposed to be pretty cool.
        MacUser, if I'm not mistaken, is the CivII Mactintosh Forum moderator. Outgoing, apparently.
        -HOWITZER AL-
        -------------------
        Some complain that God put thorns on roses,
        While others rejoice that He put roses among the thorns.

Comment

I like your Location, SMACed!
          -HOWITZER AL-
          -------------------

Comment

People still live in "Texas"?

Comment

Oh ya Texas is great now that they got rid of Dubya
              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Bah

You're on death row, aren't you

Comment

LOL

It might not be a bad idea for another person to be able to do things(no I am not volunteering )

I know some scenario conversions never made it to the d/l section...Henrik has a bunch

Comment

Originally posted by SMACed
                    People still live in "Texas"?
                    Yep, but you have to wear your six-shooter when you ride your horse into town.
                    -HOWITZER AL-
                    -------------------

Comment

(kiss, kiss, hug, hug)

Originally posted by Smash
                      LOL

It might not be a bad idea for another person to be able to do things(no I am not volunteering )
                      But why not? You have spent far more time answering and discussing Civ questions than I have as evidenced by our respective post counts, plus you get your very own ACS, certified, King-O'-Da-Hill TITLE! (toss in some land and your a Gentleman; admit it that would make your wife and mamma proud!) As far as web hacking goes, I guarantee that you know as much and probably more than I did when I offered to help Romulo!! That experience has taught me enough to create a real web site for my former Cub Scout District Training Team and inspired me to deeper geekdom! (pretty soon you'd want to start hacking in UNIX Terminal of OS X!)

In any event, we'll get things rolling around here somehow.

BTW: Howitzer, the heart of OS X is based on a version of UNIX called "FreeBSD 3.2" (BSD = Berkeley Standard Distribution), which was derived from BSD 4.4-Lite. You think Windoze/Mac flame wars are vicious, you should check out 'NIX-geeks arguing about which flavor of UNIX kernel is the best!!
                      "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Who are you and what is OS X?
                        Do you have a mac?
                        Last edited by Wiglaf; August 3, 2001, 23:59.

Comment

Working...
                        X