new News about the Mac port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new News about the Mac port

Westlake Interactive announced that they are working on three Mac games for Infogrames' MacSoft division: Sid Meier's Civilization III, and Second Edition versions of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. Westlake hopes to keep the development of Civ III in sync with the PC version being developed by Firaxis, despite just barely starting work on the turn-based strategy game. We'll see if they can keep up with good old Sid.

on VE

Are they making it for OS X?

Because from what I understand that is built with a Linux kernel and this could mean a Linux version of Civ III. I can always hope...
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

afaik, OSX is incredibly stable (hasn't crashed on me yet), you can run os9 programs on osx, so they should be porting it to osx.

fyi, I don't use a mac, I use pc of course

Comment

Thanks for the news, man! I'm one of the few with a mac around here.. really appreciate your report, given that you don't own one

Comment

np, I know how fustrating it is for MAC gamers.

Comment

response to tniem

It seems likely (hopeful?) to me that they develop Civ3 as a Carbon application. That way, both MacOS 9 and X users can play.

To clarify a few things: OS X is built off a BSD variant, not Linux. Also, the graphic interface of OS X isn't XWindows, but its own (much more advanced) system. And, a Carbon application is still, basically, an 'old' Macintosh application. So in summary: even if it was an OS X-only app, it still isn't even close to a Linux port.

I'm sure the Linux crowd will demanding a port, though, and Loki will get on it.

Comment

Re: response to tniem

Originally posted by JoeyLemur
              It seems likely (hopeful?) to me that they develop Civ3 as a Carbon application. That way, both MacOS 9 and X users can play.

To clarify a few things: OS X is built off a BSD variant, not Linux. Also, the graphic interface of OS X isn't XWindows, but its own (much more advanced) system. And, a Carbon application is still, basically, an 'old' Macintosh application. So in summary: even if it was an OS X-only app, it still isn't even close to a Linux port.

I'm sure the Linux crowd will demanding a port, though, and Loki will get on it.
              Yeah, but a port from source code written for Free-BSD has GOT to be easier that a port form Windows! From what I understand, even when you start with C++, the Windows API makes life porting an app difficult.

I too am hoping for a "Cocca" port!
              "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Out of curiosity, why is Contradiction in a "guest" status now? In any event, all this code talk is irrelevant. If it can't run on an iMac with 64 gigantic megabytes of RAM, Westlake is evil.

Comment

Muahahah it had better run WELL on my upgraded PowerComputing Powerbase! 112 mb RAM, upgraded G3 card. . . What else do I need???

Oh, and hopefully it'll run on OS 8.5 too. . .
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

try my imac 333 with 64 megs of ram running OS8.6. now that's a serious gaming machine. it's only outclassed by macuser's iMac DV with 300-something megs of RAM running an ungodly operating system.

I'm getting there.

Comment

If it is going to be liked against CarbonLib (likely if it will support both OS8/9 and OSX) it will probably require 8.6 or better. CarbonLib is more fully supported in 8.6 than it is in earlier 8.x OS'es.

OS 8.6 fixes a number of things from 8.5 and is a free upgrade. There's really no good reason not to update to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                        Out of curiosity, why is Contradiction in a "guest" status now? In any event, all this code talk is irrelevant. If it can't run on an iMac with 64 gigantic megabytes of RAM, Westlake is evil.
                        indeed, and it should run on 8.6+

if my thread wasn't first or is irrevealant then i'd like a mod to delete it
                        Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Re: Re: response to tniem

Originally posted by MacUser Yeah, but a port from source code written for Free-BSD has GOT to be easier that a port form Windows! From what I understand, even when you start with C++, the Windows API makes life porting an app difficult.

I too am hoping for a "Cocca" port!
                          We have a Win32 API library written that we use in almost all of our ports, so it's pretty much a non-issue. SMAC was ported to the Mac this way. Aside from that, porting from FreeBSD code would mean that we'd be screwed for a MacOS 8/9 version since that code would have to be replaced.

Cocoa vs. Carbon is a non-issue in games since there's hardly any MacOS GUI involved. Performance between a Carbon game and a Cocoa game is identical.

Brad
                          Brad Oliver
                          bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

Working...
                          X