OS X compatibility ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS X compatibility ???

Has anyone successfully run Alpha Centauri under OS X Classic? I was previously able to run it under OS X beta on a blue G3 350. Now I have a G4 dual 533 and when I try to run AC under Classic, it locks up Classic. I am trying to determine whether there may be a problem with support for my new hardware or if indeed we took a step backward here and Alpha Centauri can no longer run under OS X Classic.

I have some legitimate reason to believe there is a hardware support issue here because the Classic CD that shipped with OS X will not boot my machine, but the original CD that came with the machine will. Also, sound is very flaky on my machine.

Did you run SMAC in a window?

Comment

No I haven't run in window mode. I'm sorry to say, I never figured out how to do that. Could you enlighten me? Have you been able to get AC to work in that mode under Os X? Thanks.

Comment

OK, I finally figured out how to start up in a window. It seems to work OK under Classic, except for sound. It is silent. Of course, I can't get any other games to use sound under Classic either, so this is the problem to get sorted out now. Anybody else having trouble with sound under Classic? Or is it just my configuration?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Wayne on 04-07-2001 04:47 PM
          OK, I finally figured out how to start up in a window. It seems to work OK under Classic, except for sound. It is silent. Of course, I can't get any other games to use sound under Classic either, so this is the problem to get sorted out now. Anybody else having trouble with sound under Classic? Or is it just my configuration?

Under some systems, sound dies in OSX and requires a restart to bring it back up. I've heard that using some SCSI cards will kill sound instantly. This appears to be a bug in OSX that should be addressed in a future update.

Brad
          Brad Oliver
          bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

BTW, SMACX actually seems to run with fewer visual glitches under OSX final (as opposed to public beta). Maybe I've just gotten used to it, but still, I'm pretty happy it runs as well as it does.

*F*
            *flomp*

Comment

Working...
            X