OS 9.1 bugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS 9.1 bugs?

Have you played SMAX on 9.1 yet? I get weird graphic errors, black areas are white now..
    Steamweasel: will change pbem strategy gaming on the mac. http://steamweasel.sourceforge.net
    --> We still need helpers, contact me ASAP!

No, still running OS 9.0.4.

Comment

The 9.1 installer quit halway through the install twice I'm just waiting until X is released, then I'll reformat my drive and start over clean.
      *flomp*

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by illiria on 01-11-2001 06:35 PM
        Have you played SMAX on 9.1 yet? I get weird graphic errors, black areas are white now..

Yeah, I'm looking into it. For now, I would recommend you either not upgrade to 9.1 if you're big into SMAC, or run SMAC in a window.

I think it's an issue with 256 color support in DrawSprocket under 9.1, so I believe it should look normal if you're using a window, although I haven't had a chance to test that theory yet.
        Brad Oliver
        bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by bradman on 01-12-2001 08:13 AM
          (..) or run SMAC in a window.

Thats what I have been doing quite long now (want to have SoundJam in the background), but the problem still exists.
          Steamweasel: will change pbem strategy gaming on the mac. http://steamweasel.sourceforge.net

Comment

Bummer... Just when I finally decided to upgrade to OS 9.1 from OS 8.6.
            [This message has been edited by -Ashman- (edited January 12, 2001).]

Comment

I just tried replacing the 9.1 DrawSprocket with the old version, and the problem still exists. Forgot to back up my newer DrawSprocket too, so I'm probably in for all kinds of problems now. It looks to me like it's trying to use the Windows palette because all the blacks are coming out white, and vice versa.

Comment

I did a clean install of 9.1 on a new drive partition. I'm getting the same nasty white artifacts that the rest of you have mentioned. Definately something to do with 9.1 and SMAX.

Comment

Regarding SoundJam, I found that I can play iTunes in the background (launch it before starting SMAC!) but at the end of the song it won't advance until I quit SMAC, at which point it will start the next song -- as I launch SMAC again for the next multiplayer game turn

It seems to rip CD's while I'm playing SMAC, too (if set in auto-rip mode, it will eventually eject the CD and accept a new one).

Oh, one more thing about SMAC and iMusic, when I did the "find all my MP3s" at first launch iMusic located all the voiceovers for SMAC/AX. A lot of these are duplicates. Can I delete AC from my hard drive if I have AX installed? Or do I need both?
                  *flomp*

Comment

SoundJam: you can get full multitasking when you run SMAX in windowed mode...so you dont have to quit in order to advance to the next song.
                    btw: is there a way of loading another multiplayer turn without quitting smax?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Flomper on 01-17-2001 02:22 PMOh, one more thing about SMAC and iMusic, when I did the "find all my MP3s" at first launch iMusic located all the voiceovers for SMAC/AX. A lot of these are duplicates. Can I delete AC from my hard drive if I have AX installed? Or do I need both?

You need both, although you can delete duplicate files in the Alpha Centauri directory if you won't be playing Alpha Centauri. Alternatively, you can copy the non-duplicate files in the Alpha Centauri "Data" directory to the SMACX "Add-On Data" folder. You may still need to keep the "Data" folder around but empty - I don't recall the specifics anymore.

Brad
                      Brad Oliver
                      bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by bradman on 01-12-2001 08:13 AMI think it's an issue with 256 color support in DrawSprocket under 9.1, so I believe it should look normal if you're using a window, although I haven't had a chance to test that theory yet.

An update: it's a problem with 256-color support in games that use _all_ 256 colors, specifically those that change the very last color in the palette. Under 9.1, the OS ignores any attempt to change that last color, which is normally white. I've got a workaround in place for windowed mode, but I haven't yet got the DrawSprocket version working right. It shouldn't be too much longer though.

Brad
                        Brad Oliver
                        bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

That is good news. Thanks for the update, Brad!

Comment

Bradman did it again! btw: the new version supports PC vs Mac, but cant load the old save games anymore. So make sure you keep a copy of 1.2 around for the games that are still going on!

Comment

Yea, Brad! I'll download the patch when I get home.

Shoot! I thought this would fix Alien Crossfire as well as the original game.
                              [This message has been edited by Flomper (edited January 25, 2001).]
                              *flomp*

Comment

Working...
                              X