Mac to PC networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac to PC networking

Hints on getting the Mac and PC versions of SMAC to talk to each other over a simple LAN (no DHCP, just ethernet hubs). I've got MacIPX installed (from Starcraft (tm)), but there doesn't seem to be an option in SMAC to use it. Ideas?

------------------
    May The Source Be With You... Always

no ideas, but im currently involved in a PBEM game with PC users and it worked out fine

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by vaxhacker on 05-12-2000 07:51 PM
      Hints on getting the Mac and PC versions of SMAC to talk to each other over a simple LAN (no DHCP, just ethernet hubs). I've got MacIPX installed (from Starcraft (tm)), but there doesn't seem to be an option in SMAC to use it. Ideas?

SMAC is Mac->Mac only for network games. The PC version used Microsoft's proprietary DirectPlay.

Brad
      Brad Oliver
      bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by bradman on 05-12-2000 11:31 PM
        SMAC is Mac->Mac only for network games. The PC version used Microsoft's proprietary DirectPlay.

Brad

Too bad. I was asking about IPX since there seemed to be an option for it on the Windows version I was attempting to hook up to.

------------------

Comment

Haven't played SMAC, so the previous post is probably right, but there is a more recent version of MacIPX floating around somewhere...the vers. from StarCraft is one or two versions old...

If I can find the files in my archives I'll send em to you
          TheAppleGuy
          ICQ 38916748

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by bradman on 05-12-2000 11:31 PM
            The PC version used Microsoft's proprietary DirectPlay.

Yep. Jason Coleman is a nice guy, but he went to the Dark Side of the Force.

But this leads to another question -- how about Mac vs Linux? Any idea what Loki is doing for network code?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Frankie on 05-19-2000 04:35 PM
              But this leads to another question -- how about Mac vs Linux? Any idea what Loki is doing for network code?

That's a good question - I don't know. I don't believe there is a high-level networking API on Linux like DirectPlay or NetSprocket, so they may take a very different approach.

Brad
              Brad Oliver
              bradman AT pobox DOT com

Comment

Working...
              X