No announcement yet.

CtpMaps on mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TheThirdJesus I can't really agree with your recommendation to set the PC file extension .sav for CTP in the file exchange control panel. I believe various other PC/Mac cames use that extension. So if a player following your instructions has two games (Civ2 Gold and CTP for instance) and sets .sav for CTP, any Civ2 files he/she decompresses will end up in a CTP format. I would recommend using ResEdit and manually change the file settings to type: CTPg and creator: CTP1. Or at least include a warning that all files with the PC extension .sav will be linked to CTP henceforth if you change the file exchange CP.

To another question, I use ResEdit 2.1.1, no idea whether a newer version exists.

If you reset the file identity either of these ways, the .sav files of the maps will load in CTP.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Caranorn on 03-19-2000 05:42 PM
      TheThirdJesus I can't really agree with your recommendation to set the PC file extension .sav for CTP in the file exchange control panel. I believe various other PC/Mac cames use that extension. So if a player following your instructions has two games (Civ2 Gold and CTP for instance) and sets .sav for CTP, any Civ2 files he/she decompresses will end up in a CTP format. I would recommend using ResEdit and manually change the file settings to type: CTPg and creator: CTP1. Or at least include a warning that all files with the PC extension .sav will be linked to CTP henceforth if you change the file exchange CP.

To another question, I use ResEdit 2.1.1, no idea whether a newer version exists.

If you reset the file identity either of these ways, the .sav files of the maps will load in CTP.

Yes but resedit is a very un-userfriendly app, using the file exchange control panel is the easiest way for new users to do it.

I have yet to see a problem with this myself, and I have many games installed and play commonly (quake 3, starcraft, civ II, etc). I found no file mapping for .sav when I mapped it to civ:CTP, so I doubt any other mac game wll be messed up by this.

If you can show me that this is an issue, I'm sure the instructions can be changed.

------------------
      "God. Root. What is difference?" - www.userfriendly.org

[This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited March 19, 2000).]
      "God. Root. What is difference?" - <A HREF="http://www.userfriendly.org
      " TARGET=_blank>www.userfriendly.org
      </A>

Comment

Actually, if .sav turns out to be a problem, I can change that on my end. I played around with this and the extension can be pretty much whatever you set it for, as well as no extension at all.

If the MAC CtP program already has an extension for saved games, it could be changed to that and then no modifications would be necessary.

------------------
        Don,
        CtPMaps at Apolyton
        Don,
        CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Skorpion59:

Don't change anything about the PC extension, it really makes little difference for the Mac. Until recently, .??? had no effect whatsoever on how the Macintosh recognised a file's origins. Now, we can set our Macs to recognise the extension and create the Mac equivalent for the file. My point is, that if I recall correctly, several PC games use the PC extension .sav. I'm not sure how that is handled in Win95-98 and 2000. I know how identical extensions would be handled on the Mac, creating some problems. That's why I'd recommend people set the files manually after they download them. Honestly, ResEdit is an application any Mac user should be able to use. Directions to do what I recommend are quite simple.

1) Double Click on ResEdit
          2) you will most likely be prompted to open or create a file at that point, click on cancel instead
          3) Go to the File menu and chose Get File/Folder Info
          4) select the file you want to modify (?.sav)
          5) change Type: from TEXT to CTPg
          6) change Creator: from ttxt to CTP1
          7)Go to the File menu and chose Close
          8) when prompted to save before closing click yes

Yes, you will have to do that for every PC saved game or map file. But this way there is no risk of conflict with other games. Of course if you only run one cross platform game on your Mac, you might as well modify the FileExchange control panel.

TheThirdJesus:

As to what games use the PC extension .sav: America Invades; Crusader; Stalingrad; Allied General; Panzer General; Colonization; and Transarctica. The second to last game I expect can be considered out of date and barely anyone would have it on their machine anymore. The last game is probably unknown to most people.As a whole, the .sav PC extension is a common extension used by various games, including cross platform games. I'm not usre of Civ2, which I cited previously, I don't have my PC version of that game with me in the US. The best way to check would probably to have PC players check their system for files with the .sav extension and what programs they are associated with.

Comment

Skorpion59:

Don't change anything about the PC extension, it really makes little difference for the Mac. Until recently, .??? had no effect whatsoever on how the Macintosh recognised a file's origins. Now, we can set our Macs to recognise the extension and create the Mac equivalent for the file. My point is, that if I recall correctly, several PC games use the PC extension .sav. I'm not sure how that is handled in Win95-98 and 2000. I know how identical extensions would be handled on the Mac, creating some problems. That's why I'd recommend people set the files manually after they download them. Honestly, ResEdit is an application any Mac user should be able to use. Directions to do what I recommend are quite simple.

1) Double Click on ResEdit
            2) you will most likely be prompted to open or create a file at that point, click on cancel instead
            3) Go to the File menu and chose Get File/Folder Info
            4) select the file you want to modify (?.sav)
            5) change Type: from TEXT to CTPg
            6) change Creator: from ttxt to CTP1
            7)Go to the File menu and chose Close
            8) when prompted to save before closing click yes

Yes, you will have to do that for every PC saved game or map file. But this way there is no risk of conflict with other games. Of course if you only run one cross platform game on your Mac, you might as well modify the FileExchange control panel.

TheThirdJesus:

As to what games use the PC extension .sav: America Invades; Crusader; Stalingrad; Allied General; Panzer General; Colonization; and Transarctica. The second to last game I expect can be considered out of date and barely anyone would have it on their machine anymore. The last game is probably unknown to most people.As a whole, the .sav PC extension is a common extension used by various games, including cross platform games. I'm not usre of Civ2, which I cited previously, I don't have my PC version of that game with me in the US. The best way to check would probably to have PC players check their system for files with the .sav extension and what programs they are associated with.

Comment

Sorry for the double posts. I was disconnected while checking through my disks for material from various games. When I tried to post my message the first time, it didn't seem to go through so I copied my message and made a new post. And apprently both worked.

Comment

Actually, the easiest thing to do would be to use a file typer. It does the same job as ResEdit, but but with a simple drag and drop interface. I have one set up for CTP saved games if you're interested.

Ash

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by -Ashman- on 03-20-2000 06:04 PM
                  Actually, the easiest thing to do would be to use a file typer. It does the same job as ResEdit, but but with a simple drag and drop interface. I have one set up for CTP saved games if you're interested.

Ash

That's probably the best idea, could you send that to me so I can test it out?

quote:

Originally posted by Caranorn on 03-20-2000 04:24 PM
                  As to what games use the PC extension .sav: America Invades; Crusader; Stalingrad; Allied General; Panzer General; Colonization; and Transarctica.

These are all very uncommon/old games, it is unlikely that the average person is going to have a problem. I stand by the file exchange control panel as being the easiest way, with either ash's file typer or your resediting, you will have to do something EVERY TIME you download a new map. Ash's file typer is probably the best alternative solution for people who play other games that use the .sav file extension.

------------------

</A>

Comment

Agreed with both Ashman and TheThirdJesus, a drag and drop program to change the file type would be easiest and best. If it's freeware, maybe upload it to Apolyton and then put a note about the use of that application in the readme file for the maps.

Yep TheThirdJesus, those are older games, but I'm sure I'm not the only mac wargamer to still have them either on my hardisk or on a z swapable mount for fast access. Unfortunatelly we've not had a decent wargame since (some would name CC, but I hate the devil too much to pay for something I'm not 100% certain I'd like. And yes, this probably means that there is no problem with the file types either, as PC gamers will have discarded those games long ago, so it's unlikely to get saved games from them anymore. On the other hand, I'm quite certain that Civ2 uses the .sav format and it's still widely used on PC's and Macs, including multiplayer crossplatform games.

Comment

If this drag-n-drop file typer works and is freeware, could somebody zip it up and email me a copy so I can post it?

------------------
                      Don,
                      CtPMaps at Apolyton
                      Don,

Comment

ash hasn't sent it to me yet, but I'm sure it's freeware... I'll get it over to you ASAP

------------------

</A>

Comment

I'll email it to you this evening when I get home from work. It is freeware.

Comment

Ash,

I got the file, thanks.

One question, do you just put it in a directory and drag the .sav files onto it or do you have to do some kind of install with it?

------------------
                            Don,
                            CtPMaps at Apolyton
                            Don,

Comment

Just put it in the same directory. Anytime a file needs to be converted, just drag and drop the file onto the file typer. That's all there is to it.

Ash

Comment

Working...
                              X