CtPers can use my maps. Also, does the Mac version have the same Cheat Menu
    map import/export option? If they can't use the existing files, could they
    if the format was changed? Any help or guidance in resolving this would be
    much appreciated.

Don Blevens
    CtPMaps
    ctpmaps@apolyton.net
    CtPMaps.Apolyton.Net

I tryed the maps and was unable to get them to work, does anyone have any suggestions?

------------------
    "God. Root. What is difference?" - www.userfriendly.org

"God. Root. What is difference?" - <A HREF="http://www.userfriendly.org
    " TARGET=_blank>www.userfriendly.org
    </A>

I got the same e-mail -- maps work fine on mine -- but only as saved files / sceanrios.

Comment

First of all, I want to say thanks to Baston and TheThirdJesus for their help so far on this matter.

Second, could I get any Mac users to work with me on this?

If anybody tries this, could you tell me what happens when
      a) you try to load the .sav saved files via the Load saved game option and
      b) try to import the .inp import file via the Cheat Menu /importmap option.

Any information on what happens, doesn't happen, error messages, etc., would be appreciated. I would like to make this available to Mac users.

Don Blevens
      CtPMaps

Update: Baston, it looks like our forum posts crossed. Were you able to load the saved maps, the same as any other saved game? I want to add Mac instructions if they are different than the PC instructions.

[This message has been edited by skorpion59 (edited March 10, 2000).]
      Don,
      CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

baston: I'm betting it's the file type thing, since you've already ran into those problems and fixed them is why you can use the saved maps. I'm gonna do some resediting and see if that works for me.

------------------

</A>

Comment

I just got the .sav file to load, it's completely barren though, no goods/rivers/civs; is this normal or did something mess up? I tryed planetX by the way.

I didn't get any error messages, or anything else nasty.
          ------------------

[This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited March 10, 2000).]
          </A>

Comment

TheThirdJesus,

Yes, that is normal. I had to check the file to be sure. That is a development map. It is used as a basis for someone to build their own custom map or for me to build a custom map for them. That way I can set the number of Civs they want to use, the amount of trade items & goddy huts, etc. When I have the Mac problem figured out, I will start putting the custom maps out.

Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

Also, does the Mac CtP use the same standard map sizes of 24x48, 48x96, 64x128 & 70x140?
            And can you change the number of Civs to more than 8?

One note on the .inp files. On the PC side, the file HAS to be in the same directory as the executable for it to be imported thru the Chat Window by using /importmap mapname.inp.

Don

Don,

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by skorpion59 on 03-10-2000 05:02 AM
              Also, does the Mac CtP use the same standard map sizes of 24x48, 48x96, 64x128 & 70x140?
              And can you change the number of Civs to more than 8?

Mac CTP does use the same map sizes, and although i have seen maps offer more than 8 civ's i have yet to try them, but reading through the readme (i have the 24 player activision one in mind)i think it'd be very straightforward to actually implement. I will try when i get home tonight
              [This message has been edited by Baston (edited March 10, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by skorpion59 on 03-10-2000 04:09 AM
                Update: Baston, it looks like our forum posts crossed. Were you able to load the saved maps, the same as any other saved game? I want to add Mac instructions if they are different than the PC instructions.

I can load save maps, the same as any other PC player. The Mac instructions for the 8 player map were no different. Just load the save game from the single player menu.

Interestingly enough, and i could send it to you later, i amended the 8 player map for more realistic geographic starting locations (some of the original ones were nuts!) and stuffed into a mac readable archive (i know mac users can unzip zipfiles but i thought i'd be mac friendly).

Comment

baston, you're totaly right about everything else, but the pc map sizes are the same as the mac map sizes. I ripped this out of the default const.txt

MAP_SIZE_SMALL 24 48 2
                  MAP_SIZE_MEDIUM 48 96 2
                  MAP_SIZE_LARGE 64 128 2
                  MAP_SIZE_GIGANTIC 70 140 2

As for doing anything special, yes you'll have to use a file typer/resedit/the file exchange control panel to get the .sav files working right (this is a weakness in the installer of civ CTP I think). The more then 8 civs thing works as well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited March 10, 2000).]
                  </A>

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info so far. I have to say I have a newfound respect for Mac users and their problems in a PC world. So much so that I now actively recruit PC ModMakers to only create Mod Install program using Zip files instead of executable files.

Would it be possible to send me the typer/resedit/the files(s) and info on how it works so I could put it and the instructions on my site?

Could you tell me what extension Mac saved games use? Maybe if I used that, it would work without using the typer/resedit/the program.

Also, Baston, could you send me a zipped copy of your map so I can see if PC users can open and use a Mac altered/created map?

The PlanetX map is a non-standard CtP size so CtP would have to be altered to load it through the Chat window. Could you try the Wld1-70x140R .inp file. Put it in the same directory as the executable (I hope that is how it works on Mac). Start a new game on a Gigantic map, open the Chat window, type /importmap Wld1-70x140R.inp and let me know what happens.

------------------
                    Don,
                    Apolyton CtPMaps
                    Don,

Comment

Can anybody tell me what version of Resedit you use? I think I found a V3.0 but most info I find pertains to V2.1.?. Since I don't have a Mac, there is no way for me to tell.

Is Resedit where you do something like the following (which I saw in another thread). If so, what are the parameters?
                      PC Extension = CSG
                      Application = Civilisation-Call to Power
                      File Type = CTPg

------------------
                      Don,
                      Apolyton CtPMaps
                      Don,

Comment

skorpion: I'm kind of in a rush right now, so I can't write a detailed response, but resedit shouldn't be needed, I'll get back to you tommorow.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited March 12, 2000).]
                        </A>

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to rush you. I figured you guys thought I could understand from the threads here. When, I actually have no idea what you guys are talking about.

File exchange options, file typers, resedit, resource forks, all are Greek to me.

What about CtP patches? Are you doing this with the CtP v1.2b Mac Patch?

------------------
                          Don,
                          Apolyton CtPMaps
                          Don,

Comment

Don't worry about it man, I'm here to help

Ok the best solution would probably be to instruct mac users to follow these directions before unzipping:
                            *Open up their file exchange control panel
                            *Create a new file mapping
                            *Enter the following:
                            Extension: sav
                            Application: Civilization-Call To Power
                            File Type: CTPg
                            *Unzip the files and follow the directions for loading a .sav game.

This works for me using stuffit expander (a very common mac program for decompressing .zip and .sit files) and zipit,another common mac decompresser. Oh and be sure to refer to this thread for mac troubleshooting.

As for patchs, the patchs for mac so far seem to only have to do with crashs and music bugs, I was running all PC mods on the unpatched version. It's probably best to suggest that people use the latest patch.

Good luck with everything.

------------------

</A>

Comment

TheThirdJesus,

Thanks for all your help and taking the time to figure this out. It is much appreciated and exactly what I needed.

------------------
                              Don,
                              Apolyton CtPMaps
                              Don,

Comment

Working...
                              X