Do PC-CTP-MODS work on MAC-CTP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE

I just fully read http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum11/HTML/000540.html (the readme/forum for apolyton pack) and found some interesting notes about how the AI won't use CD's units/govermants if the AI data that gets put in the scenario folder isn't in the *real* aip folder (ctp_data/default/aidata I think). I'm not sure if this bug exsists on the better... err mac side, I'll be testing for it.
    [This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited February 17, 2000).]
    "God. Root. What is difference?" - <A HREF="http://www.userfriendly.org
    " TARGET=_blank>www.userfriendly.org
    </A>

Comment

Hey, Third,

Thanks for all your experimentation!

Glad to hear everything's working so well so far. Have you tried the Awesome AIPS mod yet?

Once I finish a game or two or three with the regular rules, I'm looking forward to installing these mods.

Tim

Comment

Hmm ok, I've found the first bugs.

Bug #1: Restoring games*This doesn't happen everytime*
        When you restore your game after installing the apolyton pack, you will get a barage of alerts saying various strings could not be intialized. My game didn't crash, but the slic alerts (i believe they're called TP's powerslic) returned ID strings instead of data.

I'm willing to bet that this is caused by one of the following: The slic stuff being in the scenario folder and not getting loaded correctly (this seems likely from what I've read about the apolyton pack), OR the slic stuff simply doesn't get loaded properly, no matter where it is, OR the mac version has a bug with slic.

Bug #2: Weird scenario loading errors
        When I tryed starting the map of the world scenarios again (last time I tryed, everything worked OK) and got some weird alert errors saying that various land types (tundra, plain, forest, etc) could not be found. No crash and it played fine.

As for testing other Mods: I really want to try awesome AIPs. So far the apolyton pack kicks ass besides the new found bugs, and I'm sure awesome AIPs is just as good. I want to figure out what's wrong with the apolyton pack, and hopefully figure out a fix before I try anythign else.

This is definitly gonna be harder than I thought, I'll post again tonight (or tomorrow morning, depending on if I find more bugs/fix them).

Please e-mail me if you have any suggestions, you can also reach me at irc.webmaster.com in #wotonline.com
        [This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited February 17, 2000).]
        </A>

Comment

hey TheThirdJesus, did you check the solutions about these problems on the readme? do they work?

Comment

I'll be extensively playtesting the dutcheese pack tonight (i have the beta with PBeM support).

I'' post my findings here tonight (UK GMT Time).

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 02-17-2000 07:04 PM
              hey TheThirdJesus, did you check the solutions about these problems on the readme? do they work?

Thanks for pointing me in this direction, I should have thought of this myself. I'm about to go try the fixs presented in the readme.

I was pretty busy last night, so I didn't get a whole lot of time to test/debug, i'll be hopefully doing that today.

[EDIT]Holy mother of god, it works... damn the mac version must have the same bugs as the PC version. If you save a game, quit the app, then restart the app and load the game it won't work right. But if you follow the solution that you start a new apolyton pack game, then load your old game, the bugs (specificaly the powerslic bugs) seem to be fixed. hmmm, I'm going go back to testing...[/EDIT]
              [This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited February 18, 2000).]
              </A>

Comment

I've found another bug and I think (fingers crossed) both of the earlier bugs are fixed.

Fixs:
                The instructions at http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum11/HTML/000540.html fixed the save game problem.

The "world" scenario problem is not fixed, but the work around is to make sure you don't have Debugslic=Yes in your userprofile.txt, with that off you get no errors and nothing seems to be wrong (no crashs, saves can be restored, etc).

New Bug:
                When a city is destroyed or a capital of a civ is taked over, the message box that displays the result will never disapear. This isn't really bad but I'm sure it'd be annoying late game when 60+ message boxs are sticking around talking about how City_Name was just destroyed ;-D

[EDIT]I just found a work around for this, when you want a message box to go bye-bye, just control-click it...[/EDIt]

I'm betting this is a slic problem (maybe Powerslic keeps all boxs from closing until it says to and it forgot this kind?).

Other stuff:
                I've been unable to start up a multiplayer game (TCP/IP or internet) without civ crashing (this is with and without the apolyton pack). So I haven't been able to test the alternative fix for the save game bug. If you guys have any idea why this would happen, tell me please.

If you're willing to live with the annoying boxs, the apolyton pack works (I highly recommend it too, I don't think I'd ever want to play without it again ). I'm going to finish a current game I have going with the apolyton pack, then I'm going to test awesome AIPs (which I'm looking forward to, the AI on deity is a pretty good challenge, but they make WAY too many mistakes).

I'm declaring this a finished mission.

Later :-P

------------------
                "God. Root. What is difference?" - www.userfriendly.org

[This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited February 18, 2000).]
                </A>

Comment

IT WORKS!... PART2: THE REVENGE

My testing of the dutcheese scenario pack with the PBeM enhanced beta has just been completed just now.

The PBeM feature works without flaw as do the other scenarios that come with it. Just make sure you copy everything across (i forgot the strings.txt file and experienced several database errors).

So when the patch is release featuring support for PBeM games i'd advise this purely for the ability to get cracking quick with loads of settlers, 20,000 public works and a ton o' gold.

Its a 646 Kb download from Apolyton but it works without fail. Make sure you read the readme even though its PC orientated.
                  http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ctp/files/download.pl?id=83

Hurrah - another success for the Mac!!!
                  [This message has been edited by Baston (edited February 18, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by TheThirdJesus on 02-18-2000 03:01 PM
                    The "world" scenario problem is not fixed,
                    you're talking about not being able to load correctly a game using the world map? did you try to first start a new random-map game(with the pack)?
                    quote:

but the work around is to make sure you don't have Debugslic=Yes in your userprofile.txt
                    yeah, but this way you lose powerslics
                    quote:

(which I'm looking forward to, the AI on deity is a pretty good challenge, but they make WAY too many mistakes)
                    check a recent thread in the ctp-general or ctp-creation forum. you can give more time to the AI to "think" his moves

Comment

Hey mark, to answer you questions/comments:

World Map: No, the bug was when you would start the world map you would get a couple of alerts saying something about land types missing, this didn't cause any problems, but was annoying.

Debugslic: hmm I turned debugslic off and powerslic is working fine for me. With it on their's no problem besides the world map which, as i said before, is not an issue.

AI: Yup, I've read all the important (or what seemed important) threads and will be tyring out all those cool AI changes in the future.
                      I think I might go quickly try out true terrain (this sounds really good, I hate how swamps are just dead tiles) and awesomeAIPs right now, I'll post if either works/doesn't work/has bugs.

By the way, are you guys planing on posting the non-exe versions of the mods soon (in the downloads area)? I'd be willing to help if you needed me for anything.

------------------

</A>

Comment

yes, could you come up with some sort of "apolyton pack on the mac: installation, problems and solutions" document that I could include in the zip file?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 02-19-2000 04:28 AM
                          yes, could you come up with some sort of "apolyton pack on the mac: installation, problems and solutions" document that I could include in the zip file?

Sure, I'll get to work on this tonight. I'm going to be gone most of today, so I probably won't be able to get it over to you til tommorow or late tonight.
                          </A>

Comment

I finished up the readme/packaging of the mac apolyton pack... you can get it at http://www.wotonline.com/apolyton/mac_apolyton_pack.sit (4meg download)

It contains an HTML readme, and all apolyton pack files. .sit is a common mac compression format, an expander can be found at http://www.aladdinsys.com/

I'd like to hear some feedback on if it's bad, good, or missing something.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited February 21, 2000).]
                            </A>

Comment

Working...
                            X