Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figured out how to update to 1.1.1

Hi all,

I figured out how to update civ on the mac from 1.0 to 1.1.1. Before this, I just kept on running the updater and getting an error with a code number that made no sense to me or to anyone i knew. Then I tried this and it worked.

You have to rename the application from "Civilization II Gold 1.0" to "Civilization II Gold 1.1". Sounds stupid, doesn't it? But it works.

I just wanted to share that with you folks.

regards,
    salman

Painfully simple.Good job.I see what happened.We had a series of patches.1st patch changed the version #.Subsequent patches didn't have to.Or so it was thought.At least this seems to be the case with 1.1.1
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Boy that's odd! I wonder if anyone as MacSoft/WizWorks knows about this or will ever address it? It should at least be in a Read Me note!

------------------
      Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks who do that are the happiest lot!
      - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
      "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

You don't really want an answer to that question do you?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Insane on 03-15-2001 12:01 AM
          You don't really want an answer to that question do you?

No, I suppose not.

However, I WILL post a large bold face note on the ACS Civ2-Mac Patch page.

Salman, thanks for discovering and sharing this with the Mac Civ community!!

------------------
          - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

I have updated the Patch Read Me page and posted a News item alerting everyone to the renaming work around for the v. 1.1.1 patch.

Again, good job catching that CmdrSalamander!

------------------
            - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,

Comment

Well..I renamed my civ2gold into CIV II Gold 1.1, and I keep always this error message, and update 1.1.1 is still failing. So?
              Mike.doc

Comment

Are you using the french version? In that case another patch might be required...
                No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Did you name it CIV or CIVILIZATION?
                  It should read exactly like this:

Civilization II Gold 1.1
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Thanks for worry about me, fellows.
                    I use an american version and it is named Civilization II Gold 1.1.
                    Mike.doc

Comment

Ah..this is one of those puzzles you have to get one more piece before bed.

I'm pretty much stumped.Desperately fishing, I ask if it was drag and dropped or clicked?

Did you restart and rebuild desktop after the name change?

Have you zapped pram recently?

Did you try the re-install civ,re d/l patch and try again technique?

MACs aren't supposed to have troubles like this.

Do you have a windoze emulater?

Comment

Well, I guess that I'm about to blow the whole naming theory (well, partially at least). I have performed two complete installs of Civ2 MGE followed by the 1.1.1 patch. No problems. Initially, I updated the new/used iMac DV 400MHz (more about that on another thread ) with OS 9.1 followed by a few crucial apps (such as Civ) and related patches, and finally OS X. Civ2 MGE 1.0 updated to 1.1.1 with no problems.

Unfortunately, I had problems in general since I was stupid and did not format the HD after it was messed with as a display at Sears for over a year! So, format, partition and repeat. Again no problems updating 1.0 to 1.1.1. I have NO idea why others are having problems. One thing is that I started with absolutely clean installs of MGE and OS prior to the using the patch. Not that I'm recommending you format (initialize) your HD... BTW, I used the patch downloaded from InfoGames site (MacSoft-Technical Support-InfoGames path, can't get the URL correct right now).

Very odd stuff this patch problem...

ON TO AN OS X THREAD!

------------------
                        - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,

Comment

I apologise for my inability to function properly but I am not sure if I can use this patch.

I have Civilisation II there is no mention of Gold anywhere. So have I got the right game to update or not? It just says version 1.0 in the info screen.
                          Love enit love enit love
                          enit love enit large what
                          patt

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ollyt on 05-11-2001 03:27 PM
                            I apologise for my inability to function properly but I am not sure if I can use this patch.

I have Civilisation II there is no mention of Gold anywhere. So have I got the right game to update or not? It just says version 1.0 in the info screen.

Is you CD white and titled "Civilization II" - that's the original single player game and, as far as I know, it does not have a patch.

If your CD is literally gold colored and titled "Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition" (MGE) you need patch 1.1.1. This is the newest version and allows multiplayer games over LANs and the internet. It also contains the "Conflicts in Civilization" and "CIV II Fantastic Worlds" senarios and allows you to play the more advanced scenarios that everyone talks about.

To find out more about the differences between MGE and the original CivII browse through the older posts. Nearly everyone agrees that the AI (Artificial Intelligence) in MGE is much more hostile than in the original and makes single play and scenarios more difficult.

------------------
                            - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,

Comment

Working...
                            X