Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are There Any Mac-Enabled Unit Downloads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are There Any Mac-Enabled Unit Downloads?

CYBERAmazon sent me the following PM and gave me permission to post it on the Mac Forum:

Are There Any Mac-Enabled Unit Downloads?

Just what the subject line implies. I've done some scanning of the Civ II Mac page, but didn't turn anything up. So either they don't exist or I'm not looking hard enough (I prefer the latter possibility).

Basically, I'm looking for additional units (modern age) that I can add to the existing UNITS file. From there, I'm assuming it'd just be a matter of me adding in the prerequisites and other features in the RULES.TXT file in order to get any unit downloads into the actual gameplay.

BTW, I'm using Civ II, not the Gold edition.

My answer was that there are no stand-along unit Mods for Civ2 on the Mac page; I assume that HiRes 2 is out of the question since it was designed for MPG/FW. Outside of those in the posted scenarios, does anyone have any that they would like to post? Are there some PC unit Mods that we could convert and post?

------------------
    Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks who do that are the happiest lot!
    - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

ANY units.gif can be converted.HiRes' units are fine.You HAVE to know how to make a NEW units.pict using photoshop or some similiar application.Scenario League homepage has a guide that can be helpful.Pixels are the tricky part.They have to match exactly
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I take it that this is more involved than the typical conversion using GraphicConverter (.gif to .pict conversion)? Oh, and I though that MPG and original Civ2 Unit files were different in the number and positioning of the icons and were thus not interchangeable, am I mistaken on this?

edit - add a thought
      ------------------
      - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
      [This message has been edited by MacUser (edited December 07, 2000).]

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

No the slots are the same.MGE has more slots though.

Yes.I use Photoshop when I tinker.
        [This message has been edited by Smash (edited December 07, 2000).]
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I definately stand corrected! You see any of this CYBERAmazon?

------------------
          - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MacUser on 12-06-2000 07:58 AM
            My answer was that there are no stand-along unit Mods for Civ2 on the Mac page; I assume that HiRes 2 is out of the question since it was designed for MPG/FW.

HiRes 2 works just fine with Civ2 Classic on the Mac. It's just a matter of shuffling a few files and folders in the Civ2 Files folder.

Comment

Everyone:

So if I were to download the HiRes file and simply drop it into my existing support folder, it would work? Or would I have to remove the original units.pict and replace that with the HiRes version? If the latter is true, would that affect any of the linking to the rules.txt file?

Example:

Original Battleship stats in rules.txt would be linked to the icon of the battleship in units.pict via its slot position in rules.txt, correct? The HiRes Battleship icon would still be in the same slot in the unit.pict file so that the *original* stats in rules.txt wouldn't have to be shuffled around, correct?

CYBERAmazon

(P.S. I apologize for the delay in responding ... it slipped my mind for, um, gee, over a week.)
              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
              X