Crash on Quit: still a problem for CYBERAmazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash on Quit: still a problem for CYBERAmazon

CYBERAmazon sent me the following PM regarding the crash on quit problem, and gave me permission to post it on the Mac Forum (the following are excerpts from multiple PM's):

I'm using Civ II, not the Gold edition (the latter nearly always crashes when quitting out of the program ... despite extensive testing and betas from Brian (Nesse), we were never able to solve that bug).

I replied that after upgrading to OS 8.6 and using the current Civ2 MPG patch ver. 1.1.1, my crashing problems seemed to disappear.

I'm using MacOS 8.5.1, BTW. I'm really antsy about updating OS files, though, because if the update goes wrong, the POOF! So much for having a working computer for the time being.

Brian (Nesse) didn't think it was an OS fault, though, because everything else in Civ II and Civ II Gold worked properly except for the that "exit" bug.

After cruising around old Mac threads, I found where Berzerker said that after reinstalling the OS on his Mac, the Barb Crash problem stopped (see the resurrected Barb Freezes thread). The reason I bring this up is that I performed a "clean install" of the OS when I upgraded to OS 8.6. That along with Berzerker's comment makes me wonder if cleaning up the OS was key to the problems.

So, is anyone still having the "Crash on Quit" problem? If your problem went away, what seemed to be the fix? Any correlation with Clean Installs of the OS?

------------------
    Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks who do that are the happiest lot!
    - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

I use 8.5.1 and do not suffer that problem with regular civ2.I still get the odd one with MGE though(patch 1.1.1).Fortunately it doesn't not appear to have any detrimental effect on saves or anything else for that matter.Norton asks me if I want to try and fix but I recommend just quitting the application.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I still play Civ2 classic on my system, OS 8.5.1 is quite stable for it, going to OS 8.6 is really just some kernel changes and improvements to usb/firewire and some ATI graphics support updates. OS 8.6 on my system did the same and after upgrading to OS 9 solved or just got rid of many things from memory leaks to stalls.

MacUser, currently I'm planning to clean start/wipe my harddrive as stuff keeps piling up etc.... I'll post back what happens :-)
      If anyone wants to know about my system its a iMac 333, 160mb(shipped with 32mb), and same old 6GB Apple hdd, it shipped with OS 8.6.1 cd only so most likely I'll just do reini and let the system restore zero data and instant restore. I'll quickly install OS 9 and then reload all my stuff back onto the computer
      (reason why I'm wiping my drive is because a few crashes caused major corruption)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MacCiv on 12-09-2000 12:54 AM
        I still play Civ2 classic on my system, OS 8.5.1 is quite stable for it, going to OS 8.6 is really just some kernel changes and improvements to usb/firewire and some ATI graphics support updates. OS 8.6 on my system did the same and after upgrading to OS 9 solved or just got rid of many things from memory leaks to stalls.

First, WELCOME! Nice to see a new face in the forum! BTW, love the name! To the task at hand, Finbar gave OS 9 a try and cursed for many a day before finally ripping it of the hard drive. Don't know if he ever went back to it or whether he tried the patches. I think his major problem was with MS Word. But it's good to know that OS 9 is Civ friendly since that Civ will be running in the OS 9 "Classic" shell of OS X. I'm still too cheap to buy 9 to then buy X for only a few months of use. I'll probably wait until the official release of X, or until the next computer upgrade; I have an iMac Rev b 233 MHz and a Performa 6300, 100 MHz.

quote:

MacUser, currently I'm planning to clean start/wipe my harddrive as stuff keeps piling up etc.... I'll post back what happens :-)
        If anyone wants to know about my system its a iMac 333, 160mb(shipped with 32mb), and same old 6GB Apple hdd, it shipped with OS 8.6.1 cd only so most likely I'll just do reini and let the system restore zero data and instant restore. I'll quickly install OS 9 and then reload all my stuff back onto the computer
        (reason why I'm wiping my drive is because a few crashes caused major corruption)

I feel your pain! I wiped the HD on the Performa twice to clear out goofy corruption that I blamed on poorly written children's software. I have banned all goofy-ware from my iMac and have yet to have any serious problems. Infact, with OS 8.6 I have not had any consistent crashing problems. Hope a reinstall clears out whatever corruption that you have.

------------------
        - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Hey macuser,
          Wow, I have a performa 6300 and an imac too, what a coincidence! This really is kind of off topic, I just was struck by it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Manning on 12-11-2000 09:16 AM
            Hey macuser,
            Wow, I have a performa 6300 and an imac too, what a coincidence! This really is kind of off topic, I just was struck by it.

LOL! As far as I'm concerned it's right on topic! How else are ya' gonna play? (PC's and game stations not with standing )

------------------
            - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,

Comment

Working...
            X