Anyone using OS X yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using OS X yet?

Just one more post tonight. I'm thinking of giving the OS X Public Beta a try. My life isn't difficult enough so I figured UNIX outta messed with my head! Plus, I could run the SETI@Home software a bit faster. However, I'm not sure that I'm willing to risk Civ2 for wild OS adventures!

So, anyone out there tried OS X? If so does Civ2 work with it?

------------------
    Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks who do that are the happiest lot!
    - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Since Civ2 doesn't directly touch hardware like "The Sims, Myth 1 and 2, and CTP you'll be safe in classic mode or OS 9 Classic like they called it back at MacWorld NY 2k. The downside with installing OS X Public Beta and even developer builds is you have to remove all extensions and panels which are related to things which check/poke at hardware directly(OS X doesn't allow it).

Just another warning is *never* use a Zip or SuperDisk in OS X PB, so far I've read in forums where people have lost all their data in carts/disks from OS 9 used in OS X PB. Public Beta doesn't have any USB drivers besides keyboard and mouse so 3rd party USB devices wouldn't be supported in the PB(loss of data can happen)..... I'm holding off on OS X up to 2months from its release(if Connectix doesn't carbonize VPC after several months OS X is final I'll end up sticking with OS9).
    If you want to be ahead of some news on changes and other news check out: http://connect.apple.com

Comment

EEP!!! I'm glad that you said that! I knew that my MS IntelliMouse Explorer wouldn't work, but I didn't think about my SuperDrive (or my scanner, or printer)! I had better wait until my goodies are Carbonized too!

------------------
      Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks who do that are the happiest lot!
      - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
      "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Working...
      X