downloading MAC scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• downloading MAC scenarios

I am having trouble opening the scenarios that I have downloaded from this site.

I am using Netscape Communicator 4.7, Zipit 1.4 and Civ II 1.1.1 on a Mac G4.

The downloading appears to go okay, and the unzipping appears to go okay, but when I try to open the scenario Civ II doesn't see the .scn file. The .scn file appears as a blank icon, and I am unable to open it.

What am I doing wrong?

I use stuffit expander with dropstuff for zip files.That changes it to a .HQX first.

You may need to make some changes in your preferences.See if there is a change to mac binary or something.There usually is a text option also.

These are the MAC converted scenarios from the MAC page?

sorry if this was no help at all.

Someone with some know how will be along.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

These are the Mac scenarios on this web site. I thought they would download directly, but they don't.

I tried unzipping the downloaded file with Stuffit, and that gives me a .scn file that I can open, but all the untis etc are screwed up and evenutally the scenario crashes on me.

The units, cities, terrain, etc files all end up as .gif files instead of .pict. I,ve tried changing preferences, but nothing I've tried works.

Comment

If you are getting .gif files then you aren't getting converted scenarios.There has been some problems with the DB due to a "non recently backed" up crash.I wonder if that has something to do with it.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Well, this may not be the help you were waiting for but....

Double check where you got the files. The ACS Mac page is at http://apolyton.net/civ2/mac/ . All of the Mac compatible scenarios on the Mac Civ II site are compressed as StuffIt files and have a ".sit" extension. If you downloaded a Zip file you most likely found the ACS Database for PC users. Now, having said that, some of us have found that some of the PC scenarios which have .gif graphics play just fine on a Mac. (see an old thread in this Mac Forum).

One other thing to try, if you are certain that it is a Mac scenario, is to open the Scenario file with ResEdit and make sure that the Type and Creator codes are correct. The Type for a Mac Civ II Scenario is Cv2S and Creator is Civ2. Sometimes all the encoding and compression loses these codes, resulting in the application failing recognize the file and also the file having the wrong icon.

If this was less than helpful, do write back. I just got back from BSA Cubscout-Webelos Camp and I'm not aclimated to "civilization" yet! So, we can try a better explaination later if you haven't solve the problem.

------------------
          "And now for something completely different..."
          - John Cleese
          [This message has been edited by MacUser (edited August 05, 2000).]
          "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Whoops! Apparently the sites I got to contained PC scenarios. But when I go to the Mac site (apolyton.net/civ2/mac/) I see a bunch of entries. If I go to the "scenarios" from there I get a page listing another bunch of comments about various scenarios (all with an intense blue background). If I click on the name of ascenario, I get a bunch of gibberish on the page that looks like some kind of machine language. About half the time when I try to get back to the "scenarios' page, I lose my Netscape window.

I'm feeling very dumb. Others apparently can download Mac files, but it appears virtually impossible to me.

Some how, I just don't get it!

Comment

Don't feel bad, many people seem to have the same downloading problem. There are several ways to to get to the same place (a successful download), each ending with StuffIt Expander. My usual approach, having a multi-button mouse, is to Right-click the link (the same as Control-clicking with a single button mouse) which opens a menu allowing you to select "Download Link to Disk." You then get a "Save file as:" window where you can direct it to your favorite download folder or the Desktop. The result is a file, usually with a generic document icon, ending in .sit; this is the StuffIt extension. Drag the file on to the StuffIt Expander icon, or use File>Expand from within the Expander application, and the decompressed folder with files should appear, ready for hours of Civ'in!

Alternate ways of doing this include double clicking or Option-clicking the link with a single button mouse (left-click) which usually dumps the compressed file straight to the DeskTop folder. Additionally StuffIt may automatically decompress without asking you first.

If your ISP does goofy things like AOL (a proxy service) and first compresses and/or encodes a file before sending it (that makes it a twice compressed and/or encoded file) it may appear to be junk or corrupt, but really needs to be run through StuffIt Expander twice! This is especially true of files sent as email attachments! (Note: that explanation may not be wholly accurate, but running it through StuffIt Expander a second time does work! Everyone, feel free to correct me if you can explain this better.)

If you don't have a free copy of StuffIt Expander, you can download it either from the Apolyton Civ Site (ACS) Database, or by going to Aladdin Systems site at Aladdin DownLoads .

I think that I'll add this explaination to the Scenarios page; assuming that I ever get access again!

Hope that this solves your problems. Please let my know if I can be of any further assistance.

------------------
              - John Cleese

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Ya any time you get a page of gibberish like that try mouse clicking while holding the option button.You should get a pop up window "save as" or something.

Comment

It worked! Thank you very much!

The control-clicking and saving the file did just that; it gave me an .sit file, which I then expanded with Stuffit. I downloaded a half dozen scenarios and checked out a couple and they open, and the units/etc seem to be okay. I never would have guessed about the control clicking and saving the link. That is new to me.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Comment

Yea! the Mac site justifies it's existence!

------------------
                      - John Cleese

Comment

Working...
                      X