Cross Platform MP Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Platform MP Settings

I've been trying without success to play a Internet game of Civ II MP Gold with my cousin online. When one of us tries to host a game, the client can't successfully connect. In fact, on the Waitng for Connections screen, no indication is made of any activity.

Both of have the latest updates installed. I'm using a Beige G3 466 w/ 160 MB of ram, with my provider being my local ISP. He's using at least a Pentium II 300, with AOL as his provider. As far as I know, as hosts we're both putting in the correct IP numbers, as verified by an IP detecting website.

Right now, I'm thinking that one of the problems may be that he's using AOL. However, he has been able to play a PC user successfully over AOL.

The other possibility on my mind is that perhaps the extensions on my Mac aren't set up properly. I'm running 8.6, with a pared down Extension set, consisting mainly of Microsoft, USB, and networking extensions. Here's the relevant Internet extensions/control panels I'm using:

Dial Assist
    DNS Plugin
    ICeTEe
    Idletime
    NetSprocket Lib
    Internet Access
    Internet
    Network Setup Extension
    All the Open Transport Extensions
    OT Autopush Support
    Shared Library Manager
    Shared Library Manager PPC
    TCP/IP
    URL Access
    All the Remote Access Extensions

What extensions are you guys finding to be successful?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Defian

I don't know of any extension conflicts with Civ2.I also have a ton o extensions.Most I don't need

Is one of you behind a firewall?
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Is this problem limited to the two of you playing each other? Have you each been able to use MP with other players? If you have never tried against someone else, we might try letting me host and see which of you can connect. That way we could narrow down which computer has the odd settings. I'm confident that it is not a PC vs Mac thing as many of us Mac users play PC users all the time.

As far as extentions, I tend to use the Base OS 8.6+MS stuff + AOL stuff (I load WAY too many extentions!). Also, it shouldn't be an AOL problem as I haven't had MP problems with AOL; although I'm bailing AOL infavor of cable access! You might try creating a set based on all the OS extns on and see what happens.

Let me know if you what to try to chase this down online via my hosting.

------------------
      Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad
      "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

OOO! Smash, good call! Firewalls (including the home-made 2 PC variety) can definitely prevent online gaming!

------------------
        Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

Neither of us is running a firewall, though with the internet becoming a more and more dangerous place, it might not be a bad idea.

I was in such a hurry to play with my cousin online that I bought the Windows version. I was able to successfully play online against him through my family's pc. Don't worry though, I'm still committed to getting Civ multiplayer working on my Mac. ^_^ After all, it'd be much more enjoyable that way.

Getting multiplayer working with the PC version gave me some ideas about how to get my Mac version working. Earlier, when I was trying to get Civ working on my Mac, I always got stuck on the "Waiting for Available Players" screen. I expected to see the names of available players, but all I saw was the netgame name. My cousin would try to connect, but I would never see his name. The exact same thing happened on the PC version. Experimenting, I decided to start the game anyway. Although it only reported one human player and the initial status screen, my cousin was able to join and the game ran without a hitch (once we turned off those Animated Heralds, they were annoying anyway =). We've since been able to save and continue our game and we're in 1000 BC.

Is the above experience typical of the multiplayer setup. If it is, it just seems so counter-intuitive (waiting for players that never arrive .

I'll try in the next few days to see if the same process works with my Mac.

Thx,

Defian

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Defian on 06-26-2000 12:30 AM

Earlier, when I was trying to get Civ working on my Mac, I always got stuck on the "Waiting for Available Players" screen. I expected to see the names of available players, but all I saw was the netgame name.

You mean the screen where players' names appear (or should appear) when they connect? Where did you see the netgame name on that screen? It should only have "Available Players" and the IP address along the top, above the area where the players' names are meant to appear, and "waiting for players" in the actual window.

Did you travel this journey (after the initial game preferences)?

1. Please enter your net name
            2. Please enter your game name
            3. Please verify IP address

After which should come the "Available Players:IP address ........" screen with only "waiting for players" in the window.

quote:

My cousin would try to connect, but I would never see his name. The exact same thing happened on the PC version. Experimenting, I decided to start the game anyway. Although it only reported one human player and the initial status screen, my cousin was able to join and the game ran without a hitch (once we turned off those Animated Heralds, they were annoying anyway =). We've since been able to save and continue our game and we're in 1000 BC.

Is the above experience typical of the multiplayer setup. If it is, it just seems so counter-intuitive (waiting for players that never arrive .

Sounds like your cousin hot-joined, which is a standard means of entering a game after it's started. But it's beyond me why he couldn't connect in the first place if he could hot-join.

------------------
            finbar
            Mono Rules!
            [This message has been edited by finbar (edited June 26, 2000).]
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

finbar,

I did go through the journey you mentioned to set up the Multiplayer game.

In actuality, I don't think there was a problem at all (at least playing PC to PC and probably Mac to PC as well). What confused me was that at the "Available Players:IP address ........" screen, all I saw was what I thought was the Net Game name. As it turns out, my cousin had brillantly made his Net Name the same as the Net Game!

While I still haven't tried playing Mac to PC (there isn't a phoneline in the room where the Mac is, so I have to run a really long phone cord), I think it should work, since I recall seeing him as an available player.

I'll let you know what the results are when I finally do play him from my Mac.

Defian out

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Defian on 07-06-2000 12:33 AM

As it turns out, my cousin had brillantly made his Net Name the same as the Net Game!

May I suggest a swift clubbing around the head for your cousin?

------------------
                finbar
                Mono Rules!
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Yo Cous!

------------------
                  Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

Working...
                  X