New hi-res ver 2 is posted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hi-res ver 2 is posted!

After crashes, mistyping and general computer hell, the new HiRes Ver. 2 is available thanks to Smash! He passed it on to me and the Mac world gets it first! WOO HOO! Go check out the main Civ II or Civ II-Mac pages.

------------------
    Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad
    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Dont thank me.Thank Tim Smith.He did all the work

uh oh.I just did a test d/l and the units.pict and originalunits.pict are missing

I sent more copies of these files to Macuser so it should be corrected shortly.
    [This message has been edited by Smash (edited May 03, 2000).]
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

It is corrected!

MAC beats PC for a change.Gotta like that

note-there are 6 additional sounds that I failed to include in my conversion.Honestly,I didn't really like them.There are 13 new sounds included.If you want the other 6 you'll have to wait for the PC version to be posted(muhahahaha) or d/l the sounds from version 1(there was no sound changes in version2) and convert them to.aiff with something like SoundApp.

The extraunits.gif is a real "diamond in the rough" for scenario creators.These are unconverted as changes have to be done in the .gif format first,then converted.
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

What are you all talking about? And remember, I'm a real dufus with computers. Smash, who is this Tim Smith? I knew a Tim Smith back in San Francisco back in the 70's - he was a computer wiz then.

Comment

not sure if its the same guy or not.He is a computer person of somekind.He did HiRes as a hobby.His handle is mindseye

Basically it is all new terrain,resource icons, new units and new sounds.The game remains the same it just looks different.Photo quality unit icons are the highlight I guess.The settler unit for example is represented by a covered wagon instead of the little guy with a divining rod.The engineer is a D9 CAT type vehicle.
          My fighter unit is now a F4U Vought Corsair.My destroyer unit is now a Coast Guard cutter.

The terrain is richer with some beautiful new resource icons.

The HiRes rules.txt(not for use with MGE) replaces the explorer with a Zeppelin unit with becomes available with Flight.There are also new aircraft(Bi-planes-F15- B1 Bomber-Stealth) and a light armor unit that would have been seen in WW1 era.

Tim has included an original units.pict so it does work with MGE.Just stay clear of the rules.txt

Comment

Smash, I'm being dense. What's wrong with using the Rules.txt in the Mac MPG? I understand the DeventsomethingPcstuff.exe type files not working, but I thought that MPG contained the same functionality as the previous three PC add-ons (FW etal.)? What happens if you try the Rule.txt? Does it write "I LOVE YOU" emails...ohmygod...now what have I done????
            "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

I just had a look at both rules.txt and they do seem to be the same.I'm not sure why I thought they were different.The new rules.txt should work fine

Comment

Mmm. I heard a rumor the I LOVE YOU thing started in a back room in a chemist shop in Olathe, Kansas. Or was it the Phillipines?

------------------
                finbar
                Mono Rules!
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh! Trying to download the Hi Res thing, all I get is screeds of code in the window. Not this problem all over again!

Fear not, I'll sort it out. (Insert Brave But Stupid Smiley Face)

------------------
                  finbar
                  Mono Rules!
                  " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                  "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

hehehe....option click...option click.Should give a popup window "save as"

Comment

I'll give it a burl. But why shouldn't it download normally?

------------------
                      finbar
                      Mono Rules!

Comment

Did it! Downloaded a Simple Text file and unstuffed it. Forgive my density, but installing as a Mod Pack changes (amongst other things) the game, but installing as Graphics only affects the look of things, right?

------------------
                        finbar
                        Mono Rules!

Comment

The right click save as(option for us) is a fairly common method.I think it takes less nuts and bolts for them.Any time something doen't work right,try option clicking.

correct.Originalunits.pict and others is a "facelift".The other units.pict and rules.txt are the "mod" that adds a few new units.

Comment

I like the HiRes units, but I don't like Civ2 MGE. Can the HiRes units (just the graphics patch, not the rules file changes) be used with regular Civ2?

Comment

The whole thing is compatible with the original version

Comment

Working...
                              X