Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to get a Delevent.exe to be converted so it can run on a mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way to get a Delevent.exe to be converted so it can run on a mac?

Hi! I'm a newcomer here and I have a problem on getting the Delevent.exe file to run on The Second Reich scenario. I've tried to do as the author said to do in the readme.txt file and I've also tried to use BBEdit Lite to try to compress the 5 text files into one large text file but that did not work. I've converted everything execpt the Delevent.exe file. Is there any way to convert or run this file using AppleScript or ResEdit?

This scenario has been has gone "To Hell and Back"
    with this problem! Pun Intened.

A file that is labeled "something.exe" is a PC "executable" file, similar to a Mac .app "application" file. The only way to convert that, to my knowledge, is to obtain the source code and then use a Mac compiler like Code Warrior or Code Warrior Lite to recompile it for Mac. In short, it would take REAL programming rather than light hacking with ResEdit or a text editor.

Any Mac programers out there want to comment?

------------------
    Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

MacUser is 400% right. Running an .exe file on a mac is the equivlent of running a windows program on a mac: there are some programs you can buy commercially which will allow you to do it, but unless you already have one, it's not worth the effort.

Sorry (I wish macs could run PC programs too…)

Civ 3 Democracy Game:
      PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
      Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

I was just sent a Mexican War modpack (scenario with events etc) to post and it contains a PC executable file too. The modpack seems to play okay except for the intro screen. So, my advice to BOTH of us is to write the original author and ask what the file is and does and do we need it or an equivalent file. My guess is that we do not. So far I have not heard of sepparate applications running withing CivII or MPG. And other than the events file I know of no other macros running in Civ. If I wrong someone please correct me.

------------------
        Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Grumpy?
          Sure you need the delevent.exe?
          My understanding is that it addresses a bug in Fantastic World for PC, but I am not sure that bug exists in the Mac Gold version.
          Playtest and find out.
          You can also check out http://sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/s...d_events.shtml

Macuser.
          An .exe file with a scenario usually means some modification of files, like switching files half-way through a game and asking the player to quit and reopen the saved game - thus using the new rules.txt or whatever. Asking the creator is a good bet.

Comment

Does anyone know what the delevent.exe in Red Front does?I'm thinking the changing seasons
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I also have redfront and what you are thinking of are the .bat files in the scenario. You would have to read the readme.doc using BBEdit (that's what I did.) Also I found out the Delete Event file is not an .exe it IS a .bat program in .exe format. Sort of like the .sit or .hqx like in Stuffit Expander. I have tried to access the Second Reich Page on Mike Jeszenka's website the author of the scenario, but I found out that the whole website is gone. It said Not Found on the screen. So again I'm at a deadend. I have used wulf's link and read up on it. basicly I've had to make several Scenarios from one Secnario. (examples like Redfront and Second Reich to load what the .bat file or files is suoppsed to do in the origonal scenario.) Also the winter terrain that you were talking about is suoppsed to be loaded by the first .bat file which replaces the rules, terain, cities, and units from the RF.Sav game, but THIS IS the PC version of doing it. What you have to do is make another scenario and drag and rename all of the stuff that needs to be renamed. Then it should work. If you are still confused like me when I first did it check wulf's link.

Comment

Does anyone know what the delevent.exe in Red Front does?

I can get it to work but its not working properly.I can negotiate and exchange techs which isn't supposed to be allowed.There are some transports in the middle of land and a few other oddities
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Everyone, go read Capt. Nemo's explaination in the Civ-Creation Forum under the Red Front thread. He explains both the delevent.exe and RedFront.bat files.

Now for the teaser: Wulf - YOU DA' MAN!!!

TBC....

------------------
                  Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

are you hinting at something?

Comment

Working...
                    X