downloading problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• downloading problem

why can't i download any scenarios on the mac site?! when i click on them to download them i just get a page with weird looking letters.

------------------

Yeah, that's code of some sort. I've had similar problems downloading from this site. The last time was trying to download one of the patches.

Sadly, no one was ever able to explain why I couldn't download from this site as per normal. Normal, meaning you click on the download link (or whatever), a little box pops onto the screen and monitors the download. (My browser is set to download to a designated folder on the HD) All I got, after numerous attempts, was pages of rolling code.

So, I can't help you. Sorry. I can only sympathise.

------------------
    finbar
    Mono Rules!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

option click on them and you'll get a pop-up "save as" window...remember-right clich(PC) = option click for us
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

that doesn't work, all does is save the link so when i open it i goes into the mac senario page and when i try and download there it gives me a nasty message saying that it can't download it, maybe you are giving me the right directions and i am just following them wrong

------------------

Comment

Are you holding down the option key while clicking on it?
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Well, I'm afraid that I don't know want to say, other than that it sometimes happens. Now and then I get junk when downloading and I really don't know why. Internet gremlins I guess. When I click (single or option-click) on a scenario or file link, it seems to work. Keep trying and if this continues to be a problem maybe MarkG might have a suggestion.

In the meantime, if you need me to mail you a file directly let me know. I have even been known to snail-mail diskettes when asked! E-mail can be just as frustrating, especially with AOL, but eventually files do get through, so we could try that too. Just let me now how I can help.

Finbar, I just re-read your post. When you said that after multiple tries on "this site" which files were you talking about? (I assume that you ment the Mac-Civ2 site and not files from the general ACS pages.) I'm wondering if I'm doing something to the files when I upload them?

Smash, have you sucessfully downloaded files? If so, which ones? I know that folks have sucessfully downloaded the Convertion AppleScript and some utilities.

------------------
            Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

[This message has been edited by MacUser (edited March 04, 2000).]
            "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

MU - I had the problem trying to download one of the patches from the ACS site - I think, from memory, the first ever patch. Certainly the Mac page wasn't up then.

Actually, I'll have another go at downloading and see what happens these days. Get back to you.

------------------
              finbar
              Mono Rules!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I can D/L anything at this site.The trick is making it into a simple text document.I use dropstuff to make .sit to .hqx and then stuffit comes into play.

Comment

"Keep trying and if this continues to be a problem maybe MarkG might have a suggestion"

You mean MarkG or I might have a suggestion, right?

As a matter of fact, I do!

My use of a "modern-day" Mac (I know two years on and off with the Apple II in elementary school does not count ) currently stands about 3/4 of an hour, so perhaps this does not apply to you, but when PC users have reported downloading problems from us I recommended that people 'right-click' to force the server to download it to your PC.

By the sound of things Calvin, and the others who have reported similar problems, your browser is trying to open the files within itself as opposed to downloading it for another app. to handle. So, I would check the file type associations within my browser for the extensions of the files you are trying to download from us, e.g. HQX and SIT.

----------------
                  Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Mmm. Couldn't find any such suffixes in the Applications section of the Netscape Preferences, but did Edit the "All Types" Description to have it save to disk, which is not the default option.

And it works. Now I can download from this site. Thanks DQ!

------------------
                    finbar
                    Mono Rules!

Comment

You're most welcome Finbar!

Anyone still experiencing downloading difficulties from ACS?

----------------
                      Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

"You mean MarkG or I might have a suggestion, right?" - DanQ

Yeah, that's what I meant! :-P

Definition for the day: "Faux-paw" to insert one's "paw" into mouth and chew vigorously!

Thanks for the help!

------------------
                        Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Calvin, I've got Communicator 4.6.1. Under Preferences, then Applications, run down the long list. I actually counted it as the 46th item on the list. Preceded by application/zip, followed by Pict Image and Microsoft Word Document.

I don't know which version you've got, and I know there are numerous differences between the versions, so here's hoping.

If it's not there, for whatever reason, maybe you could create it via the New button. I'll describe how mine reads:

Description: All types
                          MIME Type: *
                          Suffixes: *

Then select the Save To Disk button.

Let's know how you go.

------------------
                          finbar
                          Mono Rules!

Comment

Well, for all of my griping about AOL, I guess their browser must default to something like "all types". I can't seem to find a preference to check or change, but I rarely seem to have problems. On the other hand, I can't make the barbs crash my games either...go figure.

------------------
                            Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

finbar: i tried to do what you said to see if it would work so i went into the netscape preferences and into applications but i can't find "all types". where is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X