Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperately Seeking ...

Everyone:

... help on how to prevent AI nations from building cities too close to each other. This happens quite a bit during later stages of the game; for example, the Zulus will build City ABC then, ten turns later, establish City XYZ three squares away.

It angers me because the city radius come right up to the actual city square of the neighboring city. And it looks aesthetically odd.

Is there anyway to prevent — or reduce — this from happening? Or is it hardcoded into the program and we're simply stuck with the end result?

CYBERAmazon

(P.S. Right now, I have to always activate the "cheat" menu, put a barbarian unit in the offending city, then destroy said city.)

------------------
    Resistance is futile. Lower your shields and disable your weapons. You will be assimilated into the Borg Collective.
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

I don't know. What I do want to know, however, is why it matters? Let the other AI civs mess up their cities; I don't see why you care.

[This message has been edited by adaMada (edited March 21, 2000).]
    Civ 3 Democracy Game:
    PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
    Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

AdaMada:

I care because I happen to be a Civ II fanatic who enjoys his games. Coincidentally, I seek the strongest challenge the AI can offer and despise seeing it shoot itself in the foot.

CYBERAmazon

------------------
      Resistance is futile. Lower your shields and disable your weapons. You will be assimilated into the Borg Collective.
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

The ai will always try to overlap it's outer perimeter if terrain allows.So you could try playing rugged maps since the ai won't build on hills or mountains and will irrigate forests first.This would probably make the ai even less competitive though.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Are they ever, ultimately, going to be competitive anyway?

------------------
          finbar
          Mono Rules!
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Smash:

**sigh** I suppose I'll just have to be satisfied with spotting the offending cities and destroying them as quickly as possible.

In regards to terrain which the AI builds on, I've seen cities set on forest terrain ... never hills, mountains or desert, though. Not even oasis squares.

Thanks for replying, Smash.

CYBERAmazon

//////

Finbar:

Hmm ... yes, the AI can be competitive. It acts strange, though, when it has the upper hand. Recently, I was playing the Amazons and Russia had massed its forces on my borders across southern Europe. I paid them nearly 1000 in gold for a cease-fire, which they promptly broke by nuking my capitol, Themiscyra.

Then they proceeded to hammer Sparta and Delphi into defenselessness with bombers and armor. But they never took my wide-open cities! I'm like, but didn't complain **L**.

Suffice to say, the game ended with the Amazons and Zulus — in alliance with each other — controlling the entire planet. And Moscow was nothing more than another city in my continent-spanning empire.

So, yes, the AI can be a good foe. Albeit a weird one.

CYBERAmazon

------------------

Comment

Mmm. Not taking the cities, as you cite, is pretty much evidence of the AI's limitations in my book. They're also, I've found, incapable of strategic battle - they don't fortify units in choke points to control key areas, they continually hurl underpowered units in kamikaze attacks against vastly superior defences, and so on. In short, the computer AI lacks what it can't, obviously, have - imagination.

------------------
              finbar
              Mono Rules!
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

>They're also, I've found, incapable of strategic battle - they don't fortify units in choke points to control key areas, they continually hurl underpowered units in kamikaze attacks against vastly superior defences, and so on.

Which nicely balances the big
                "Kill him, he is organic!" - factor of the computer AI. Of course I would prefer to see better AI and better diplomacy.

Comment

Working...
                X