HELP ME PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP ME PLEASE

is there any way to make PC SCN play on my mac? I mean the ones with modofied stuff?

------------------
    Ah man! Ghandi! New game.

-Genghis Al
    Don't invade Russia in the winter time.

Certainly, you need to make a few changes such as changing the unit icons to .pict format and the .wav sound files to .aiff. Check out the instructions by Amandeep Jawa on the Mac file page on the ACS database http://apolyton.net/civ2/tfgc2s/mac/cfm.shtml . You will need an application like clip2gif for the graphics and QuickTime Pro to convert and save the wav files to aiff (older versions of QuickTime might be able to save, Versions 3 and 4 require you to "upgrade" to Pro for the privilege of saving files; someone correct me if I'm wrong). Also, browse through the Creation forum for tips and links to available scenarios.

I keep threatening to write explicit instructions for converting files. Anyone want to help? I think that the Deep article may be a little lacking in explicit detail.

------------------
    Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Where can I find that pict. onverter program?

------------------

-Genghis Al

Comment

ok, here is the problem now, I went to the site you said, and I tried to download some stuff. But for some reason my computer instead of downloading the stuff, opened up a new window with like program languege or somthing. A bunch of weird letters you know... What do i do when that happens?

------------------

-Genghis Al

Comment

Checkout the Customizations link on the main page. There are specific instructions and links. I also have added clip2gif to the Mac site for converting graphics. http://apolyton.net/civ2/mac/utiliti...od_files.shtml Using clip2gif for .bmp to .pict converstion and QuickTime Movie Player for .wav to .aiff conversion, I was able to convert the Dune PC scencario to Mac in about have an hour (the time is due to my efficency and not the applications! ).

I admit that the Mac site is rather confusing, but surf through the Customization pages and you should find some instructions. I will eventually rework the site to be less of a maze.

As for download rubbish, try expanding the file a second time with StuffIt Expander.

------------------
          Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

I don't get anything when I downlaod. It opens a new page with a bunch of rubbish there is nothing to expand.

Comment

If you're using IE, try File->Download File... and put in the URL of the file you're trying to download. That might work, but it could still get fouled up if the server is reporting that the file is a text file.

_/\ C
              _/\ C
              Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Comment

Sorry, I gave a poor answer; can't expand with no file to expand! :P Well, let's see. I'll start basic. Have you successfully downloaded other files (shareware, patches, virus defns.)? Problems with those? What browser are you using; I assume the AOL default browser? What happens if you use a different browser? Are there preferences or options that might be preventing you from downloading to your hard drive? Periodically, I have had problems with sites, but I always thought it was the site server. In this case the ACS server seems okay since I can download the files that you are interested in. Hmm... Don't know want eles to say. You could try allowing the file to finish loading in a window and then Save As HTML doc and run that throught StuffIt Expander.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

------------------
                Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

or.....you can option click on the links....hehehe
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Genghis - I've had exactly the same problem trying to download things from this site. I remember trying to download one of the patches. Got a new window and a screen full of code. I had no idea why, and still have no idea. No one was able to help me.

On the other hand, and the bright side, I have also succeeded in downloading things from this site. Sorry I can't be of anymore help than that.

Sympathy from a fellow sufferer, buddy.

------------------
                    finbar
                    Mono Rules!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

if you option click you will get a pop up window "save as" or something.Try it
                      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Option+click should work like others have said; you also might want to try opening up the Configuration Manager if you are using MS Internet Explorer...make sure to have the protocol helpers set to apps that will download the file (i.e. set ftp to Stuffit Expander)
                        TheAppleGuy
                        ICQ 38916748

Comment

Almost forgot...if you are using Netscape also set the helper apps in the Edit>Preferences
                          TheAppleGuy
                          ICQ 38916748

Comment

Working...
                          X