New Toy! MS IntelliMouse Explorer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Toy! MS IntelliMouse Explorer!

I bought myself a MS IntelliMouse Explorer for my wife to give me (5 buttons, scroll wheel and no ball - uses a LED and optical sensor) ! You can check it out at http://www.microsoft.com/mouse/ . So, relevance to Civ? Well, it is programmable for specific applications, so you could specify one or more buttons for often used windows like Tax Rate or an Advisor, but not lose the Control-Click setting for WORD. Also, the scroll wheel works in any window with vertical scroll bars, like the cities or attitudes lists or the ACS Forum Reply window ; horizontal bars don't work. Mostly, however, I wanted to mention the difficulties that I had getting the thing to work and save you the hassle and toll calls to MS!

First off, the mice on the market right now were shipped before the Mac USB driver was finished. Thus you need to down load the diver/extensions/control panel from MS, painless enough. However, while the requirements state that OS 8.5.1 is all that is required, I and the MS techie could not make it work. We did the extension shuffle and a clean install of the System Folder and nothing helped. I finally got a copy of the "free" OS 8.6 Update from a friend and lo and behold I'm a clicking' scrollin' fool! Thus far, I have not seen any conflicts with the MS extension or control panel. The biggest drawback is that it is right-handed only and is rather large for people with small hands; my kids think it's cool but swap it out for the iMac hockey puck. So, if you are considering a different mouse check it out. It may not help much for Civ, but it will make a huge difference in your overall computing.

------------------
    Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

As soon as you mentioned it in your email, MacUser, I trotted straight down to my Mac store. It's available here (in Oz) but they didn't have it in stock. They're getting one in for me. Too late to give to my wife to give to me for Christmas, so I'll just have to give it to myself. I'm not proud.

PS: I continue to despise the horrible little iMac mouse. My wife, though, loves it to death.

------------------
    finbar
    Mono Rules!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
    X