Problems with OS9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with OS9?

I just installed OS9 and Civ II (single player) is crashing in the middle of platying with no apparent cause. Any ideas?

Are there updates/patches? If so, where?

thanks

Do you have any of the patches installed? The latest - 4 - is available from wizworks at
    www.wizworks.com/macsoft/mactech/CivIIGold_ftp.html

I'm not sure whether the earlier patches are archived there. Probably are. If not, plenty of people can email them.

But the patches are, I think, applicable to the Multiplayer Gold version of the game. Not sure about the original. Which version are you playing?

------------------
    finbar

Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I am running just plain old Civ II (not Gold). and I can't figure out any reason fro the crashes. I checked for confilicts, etc. ARGH!

Comment

Just FYI:

MGE Patch 1.1b4 will be available for download from ACS sometime in the next 24-48hrs.

----------------
        Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Hmmm...Let's pose this question to our new honorary member Mr. Nesse at MacSoft!

While the patches are intended (I assume - and you know where that usually gets U and Me!) for the MPG Ed., some of the problems that they fix might be from the initial port and possibly might fix plan ol' Civ II. If so, I'm sure Mr. Nesse would know and could tell use one way or the other.

Now, what he and the rest of us eager helpers need to know are the specifics about your system: hardware stuff like model and RAM and software other than the OS that might be running in the background (things like Norton Utilities - which by the doesn't seem to cause problems for me).

If nothing else this is another good excuse for me to buy OS 9; gotta stay current to find new software features (read bugs)!

------------------
          Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

I've just installed 9. The problem is, discovering what's compatible and otherwise is largely a matter of having things crash so you know it's not compatible. My Civ mate did a clean install and can't run word Word on it. Yet I can. Another can of worms, methinks.

I was happily playing with some PC people, including a couple of re-starts when they fell over, until the final time. When I tried to rejoin, the computer froze. Twice. Whether it's 9, or the new patch, or what ... who knows?

These things are sent to make us better human beings..

------------------
            finbar

Mono Rules!
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I am running Civ II on a PowerMac 7100/66. I have a NewerTech MaxpowerG3 whose driver is also causing problems, but Civ is craching regardless of whether the accelerator is in use. It crashes intermittently with no error message. The mouse is free but otherwise I can do nothing. When I try to use 'Force Quit,' even the mouse no longer works. Any ideas?

Comment

Mmm. My problems with the PC players seem to have sorted themselves out. I've emailed our friend and helper and guru Mr Nesse to see whether there have been any problems reported with OS 9 with either of the versions of the game.

Meantime, maybe you could check with the Mac site that deals with reported problems with individual models. MacUser pointed me in the direction of one of them - not your model - but I can't find the overall site link he sent me.

MacUser? Any thoughts?

------------------
                finbar

Mono Rules!

Comment

[Slightly OT] It seems like only yesterday I got OS 8. Not to be contrary, but what does OS 9 have that would make me want to get it?

Comment

Various (perhaps I would go as far as to call them) experts assured me that Mac only got its internet and network act together with OS 9. Opinions, of course, are subjective.

As reported elsewhere, a number of things aren't compatible with it. But, for the most part, upgrades of the incompatible things are available to make them compatible.

------------------
                    finbar

Mono Rules!

Comment

Topcat, this may seem rather obvious, however, do you have enough RAM for OS 9? The recent MacAddict recommends NOT upgrading unless you have more that 32 MB RAM and a fast processor (200 mHz or greater). Also, even if you have the minimum physical requirements, you may need more. Finally, make sure the brand/make of the memory modules are compatable. If you installed RAM and OS 9 at the same time, the RAM could be your problem. Then of course there is compatibility with the NewerTech card. You might want to touch base with them too.

The site that I mentioned to Finbar way back is the forum for specific Apple products on the Apple TTL site. I'll give a look later and send an URL.

HI HO HI HO it's off to work I go...

------------------
                      Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

1. I have 56MB of funcational RAM so that isn't the issue. The NewerTech card works for two or three restarts after a clean reinstall of the OS, but then its driver causes a conflict extension. Hopefully they are working on a solution. According the the complete Conflict Compendium, the are working on a solution (http://www.mac-conflicts.com/data/11/1137.html). They have posted a beta driver which is causing the problem (the old driveris incompatible). Civ II crashes irrespective of whether I am using the NewerTech card.

I have noticed that when I save games (before Civ crashes) Civ often has lost my Civilization folder. Could that be why it crashes?

2. I upgraded from 7.6.1, so OS9 should be worth the upgrade. I like Sherlock II, Multiple Users and KeyChain Access.

Comment

Losing the folder? Mmm. Bit of a worry, and possibly the key to it all. Do you mean the folder literally disappears? Or it wants to send you to another folder when saving? When I first played MPG with 9, I had to educate it where to put things.

Have you tried reinstalling Civ?

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if your Civ has problems with 9. So many other (even more recent) apps seem to.

------------------
                          finbar

Mono Rules!

Comment

Working...
                          X