MPG Patch WORKS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG Patch WORKS!

One of the things that has annoyed me the most when playing solo is the miserable Go To command! I have installed the patch (see link under the "Welcome" topic) and Civ2 Ver. 1.1b1 now has a WORKING GO TO COMMAND! I stressed it over the ocean, mountains, plains , roads, rivers and several different units and EACH AND EVERY UNIT WENT EXACTLY WHERE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO GO! No funky paths. No running off roads. No crashing into trees or mountains. Just the cleanest and quickest path to the appointed square! Next on the agenda is testing and stressing the LAN. If that works maybe I'll finally try the net play!

WOO WHO!!!

------------------
    Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad
    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

The Mac Civ2 MPG patch is now officially available from MacSoft!
    http://www.wizworks.com/macsoft/mact...IGold_ftp.html

------------------
    Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

The Mac Civ2 MPG patch is now officially available from MacSoft!
      http://www.wizworks.com/macsoft/mact...IGold_ftp.html

------------------
      Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

Hooray! Thanks for checking it out, MacUser! Btw, I noticed that MacSoft say on their site that the patch

"Fixed problems when quitting the application."

Uh, what problems? Does anyone know what this means?

Comment

Some people have gotten the message"type2 error has caused civ2 to unexpectedly quit"when they quit playing.It did not seem to effect saved games thankfully.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Hmmm... I guess I always just lumped all the various crashes together, and got used to it! ;-P

Well, more news on the testing front: my MP game over an ethernet LAN between an iMac and a Performa 6300 worked PERFECTLY! We traded, explored, chatted, exchanged techs and maps and even used the GO TO command! All worked with nary a single bomb or crash! Plus I had FileSharing active and about a bazzillion extensions loaded!

ON TO THE NET!! LET THE GAMING WORLD TREMBLE BEFORE MY LEGIONS!! (and or bribes ;-) )

Happy days are here again...

------------------
            Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

We'll have to wait and see how the patch works - remember, it is rare to get a game even close to the modern era and I've seen some unexplained crashes already. But, without a doubt, this is a vast improvement! I've yet to go up against pc's though, that is a major test.

Comment

Yes there still seems to be problem or two with joining and quitting.And the game runs better with 4 or less players but that is probably because of the machines rather than the game.All in all the jury is still out but it is MUCH better.
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

It's promising, all right. The total freeze when you trade with another human seems to have been fixed. We've had one crash - the game simply, suddenly shut down on the host computer - in mid-turn.
                  " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                  "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

On my LAN the host computer (iMac) has never crashed during a MP while using the patch. Although that may not mean much.

------------------
                    Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

And another total crash. Host computer again.
                      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Another post-patch glitch. Twice, while disbanding a unit in housekeeping mode - when others are taking their turn - the game froze then crashed. I don't feel like trying it again to see if it's an everytime event. Can't remember doing the same thing in the same circumstances pre-patch, so I can't compare.

And, opening the World menu to check the demographics, a freeze and crash. Again in housekeeping mode. The housekeeping mode seems to be the common factor.

Anyone else?

------------------
                        finbar

Mono Rules!

Comment

ya I've had the demography freeze a couple of times.It seems the more activity the more likely a freeze/crash.Too much chat, while not only annoying, also seems to cause problems on occasion.I'm for longer time limits and absolutely NO activity outside of your turn however nobody else is.

Comment

Well, if it's the only way to stop crash/freezes, it's the way to go. Just makes for a hellish boring time waiting while others do their thing. I might have to take up reading.

------------------
                            finbar

Mono Rules!

Comment

Smash, thinking about the chat-game from hell the other night, I think that you're right! Too many goofy comments gave the host computer a fright! Crashing servers and run-away players makes it hard to build a knight! Perhapes it would help, when chatting begins to count to ten before writting again.

(I'll stop here before the verse gets worse!)

------------------
                              Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

[This message has been edited by MacUser (edited September 09, 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                              X