hello there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello there...

don't have mac, but want one, which one should I get?

Hi. What do you want to do with it? I got a G3 minitower - 300 mhz - for the grunt to handle games at speed. I know people with the one step down version - about 260mhz, I think - which does a good job. I don't know anyone with an iMac, so I can't comment on them.

Apart from grunt, of course, RAM is the key. I got 128mb.

You're probably going to get a heap of suggestions!

------------------
    finbar

Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Finbar, of course you know someone with an iMac, ME! And basicly I love it! I have a Rev B which has a 233 mHz G3 and a 96 MB RAM (32+64). It runs like and dream and tears through anything that I throw at it. My only complaint is that everyone in the house wants to use it! My old Performa 6300 just doesn't cut it anymore! Actually the one thing I wish I had is a 17 inch monitor. I have one at work and 15 inchs at home feels small. Also you have to live with the fact that it is essentially non-upgradeable. The processor may be on a daughter-board, but when you look at the lack of upgrade options for the G3 towers (the current motherboard won't support a new G4), I would not expect any upgrads soon.

Perhapes overall price should guide you: can you afford over $2000 for G4 and monitor, or is a all in one iMac for around $1200 more in the budget?

As for the lack of a floppy, I bought a SuperDrive immediately. Actually I was excited about the SuperDrive a long time ago and really thought that the PC world would have totally moved to it by now. But guess what, they all still have floppies and use the smaller Zip Drives. I don't know, it is great for backing up the documents folder and using floppies, but no one else seems to use it! That's really a shame because zips are rather flaky and my SuperDrive has been rock solid (although mine is a little slow, the current model is twice as fast).

One last note, the 400 mHz G4 can be had for $1600 and $500 for a 17" monitor brings you to $2100, THAT'S $700 LESS THAN I PAID FOR MY PERFORM 6300 FOUR YEARS AGO!

------------------
      Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Games is one of the things I'll be doing, image manipulation is another (Photoshop), but programming is the big one (planning to do some heavy OpenGL programming)

Comment

Sorry, MacUser, forgot! :O :O :O

I've got a 17" monitor and I don't know how I ever did without it. Can't recommend one highly enough, Taal. It's like a big screen TV against an old 11" portable.

(MacUser - what do you know about Performa 6400/200s? My wife's has been an absolute complete total lemon from the day she bought it, one of the few Mac lemons I've come across.)

Taal, if you're getting into the things you're talking about getting into, sounds like you're going to need grunt. MacUser would probably know more.

------------------
          finbar

Mono Rules!
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I agree. Checkout the latest articles on using the G4 with Photoshop. Major speed improvements!

finbar, we'll talk Performas later it's bedtime!

------------------
            Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Sleep??? Huh!

------------------
              finbar

Mono Rules!

Comment

I'm up and awake, but have a cold or something...grrr.

Regarding the Performa 6400 question: Apple has a forum/discussion page for their different models. Here is the URL for the Performa 6400:
                http://discuss.info.apple.com/boards...0&Expand=10#10

Kinda long huh? If this doesn't work by cut/paste, try clipping just the part from http to .nsf.

What specific problems have you had with the 6400? Sony had a bad batch of CRTs, thus Apple sold alot of bad Multiscan monitors. We sent ours back twice, and my mother-inlaw's once (all under warranty). I had the hard drive die about a year ago and just had to replace the CD-ROM; Both of which probably just wore out from heavy use. Fortunately, I didn't have the mother board problem that plagued the 62xx/63xx series.

------------------
                Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

Is this on topic?

Anyway. The whole gamut. Freezes when using all sorts of apps ranging from Word to Netscape; snail's pace speed (my old LC 640 used to leave it for dead); often you can't shut it down from the menu; frequently it won't let you copy anything to a floppy. It's been back a number of times, reformatted and rebuilt, and it finishes up the way it was.

I've had a quick look at the discussion group. Looks like there's some mutual problems. Thanx for that.

------------------
                  finbar

Mono Rules!

Comment

Working...
                  X