Clear All

• Mac Forum Viability

Smash writes in the Capital Conundrum thread:

Smash
    Civer

IP: Logged
    posted September 18, 1999 16:47         
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    End this forum.There is squat for topics and they are whining about spamming.Enough.Nice experiment.

MacUser replies:

Who is "Whining about spamming"? As for the topics I think that a central place to find the Mac patch justifies the forum! While I think that a Mac web page would be a better source for patches, bugs, extension conflicts, etc., this is the best we've got. MacSoft is NOT cooperative about fixing their site (see my customer service grip/post). Romulo seems to be hot and cold about resurrecting the web page; I REALLY didn't want to shove him aside and take over. And I know of no other place for MACINTOSH users to ask for specific help (WizWorks is WORTHLESS!)! The original goal, from my perspective, was not to duplicate the other forums but to provide a place for specific Mac issues. Fortunately, with the new patch and the design of the program it seems that the info and discussions in the other forums apply to the Mac and do not need to be discussed here.

Are there issues and readers for this forum? It is true only a handful of people seem to post here. Are there readers, or am I among only a few voices crying in the dark? What SHOULD be here? Smash, what would you suggest be discussed? I know that a lot of the GameRanger users don't realize that they can play with PC users or that there is a patch, much less know about ACS. Maybe it's time for a little evangelism.

Count off and post your comments!

------------------
    Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

flaming

------------------
    SPACE AVAILABLE
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Smash you are right that was a "flaming" tone, and I apologize. In no way was that an attempt to "flame," attack or offend you. I just reread what I wrote and it was an angry voice. However, I did not intend to direct it at you; it was more directed outward and not at any one person. The anger is my own stuff and may be an indication of frustration caused by beating a dead forum and web page horse! Truly, I too am disappointed with the lack of response to a Mac Forum. I honestly thought that there was a need. Perhaps I was wrong. Maybe the only need was to get people the patch. Maybe the forum did that and it should be finished. I honestly want other people to voice their opinion whether or not the forum is/was useful and should it go on. My asking you directly what you want and desire was earnest. No flame intended (even if the voice reeked of frustration). I am somewhat frustrated by a lack of input in what Mac users other than myself want. Look at my other posts where I ask for input. You were very skeptical of the need for a Mac specific forum from the beginning. Now I am asking everyone (if there is an "everyone" other than the approximately five to ten posters) if there is a need or do the regular forums fulfill the "need" that I originally perceived.

Seriously, I meant no offense and apologize for the sever tone.

------------------
      Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

I tried to read the capital thread. (FYI I reported this as a bug to B.Neisse the week after the 1.1b1 release).
        I have to agree with Smash so far that that thread went off-topic in a way I have seen much to often, for no obvious reason.
        Still I feel there needs to be a forum to discuss the quirks of the Mac version. Already on Romero's old site there was a discussion link, so I don't feel that there is need to motivate the special need for a Mac forum. But if I would mention one thing, then the special ways in which to create scenarios on the Mac certainly motivates a special forum. This part of Civ 2 Gold comes with it's own particular bugs and quirks.
        As long as Apolyton lets us use this forum and the message frequency stays above the embarassing (sp?) I say we need the forums.
        Just please stay on-topic. There is an off-topic forum :-)

Comment

This pot needsstirin'
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

The drift off topic came from me, and it was an apology to Ken who might (or might not, I don't know) have been a bit offended by something elsewhere, earlier. I hope not.

Whatever. I think the problem we've got is that the vast majority of our game-related stuff could just as easily be posted on the other forums. I know I've thought twice about whether to post here or elsewhere. My Capital Conundrum thing could easily have gone elsewhere. I posted here ... out of loyalty. (Insert blushing smiley face)

Sure, the real specifics of the Mac MPG belong here, but how many really specific differences are there betwixt the Mac and PC versions? Not many, I suspect. And we can gripe here forever about the lack of response to bug complaints, and maybe feel better, but it won't solve the problems.

I'm torn. On one hand, I like the fact that Mac is represented on this extraordinarily wide-ranging site. Congratulations and thank you to those who drove it. We exist. That's important. If self-concious. On the other hand, we lag way behind the other forums. Which is the bottom line. I fear we don't have a purely practical reason to exist.

I suspect reactivating Rom's site would be of much more practical use. Apart from everything else, his Challenges were a lot of fun. Though multi-player would seem to have made those redundant. (Has it?) If not for the fact that I know bugger all about such things, I'd offer to help reactivate it. (I'm always keen to learn new tricks)

My vote: unless someone can come up with a hell of a good reason otherwise, wind up this forum, thank ACS for their kindness, and get Rom's site going again under the ACS umbrella.

That's my sixpence worth. Now I've got finger cramp.

------------------
            finbar

Mono Rules!
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

You mean that after only a month, this forum has fewer posts than most of the others? Wow, thanks for the news flash! I guess it's up to Apolyton whether this forum survives, but I'd certainly like it to continue. I suppose I could have posted my questions/comments about scenario conversion in the creation forum, but somehow I have the feeling that most of the scenario designers couldn't give 2 hoots whether their work is available to us. It's discouraging that all the hints on the Sleague site assume you're using a PC.

There are 26415 posts in the Off-Topic forum. That's more than in all the Civ2 fora combined! It seems to me that if Apolyton has all that space for off-topic posts, they could spare our little patch of ground.

P.S. I've looked all over Romulo's site and don't see anything about "discussion". Please point me in the right direction.
              [This message has been edited by valmont (edited September 20, 1999).]

Comment

P.S. I've looked all over Romulo's site and don't see anything about "discussion". Please point me in the right direction.
                I assume this is directed at me. Romulo's old site had a link to a discussion server, close to the top. Appearantly it - the link- did not survive the move to Apolyton. In fact I cannot find any links on the new site. . Cannot find the old discussion link on my harddrive either.

Comment

Guys, it takes time to "build" a forum, e.g. to have lots and regular posters...

With the mac versions of CTP and SMAC, mac users will be more significant, so there is no intention in closing this forum...

------------------
                  Markos, Apolyton Civilization Site

Comment

Thanks for your kind words, Mark.

I found the link to the old forum, which might I add, while available was slow as a snail with it's kneecaps capped.
                    PS. Last post is from 98.
                    http://bbs.linko.com/bbs/bbs.cgi?id=B0009934

Comment

Working...
                    X