Capital Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital Conundrum

Started a game last night playing as the Americans. When I built my first city, which should have been Washington, it came up as New York. Had a palace and everything. Kept building cities and Washington didn't appear. Anyone got any idea what happened to it?

------------------
    finbar

Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Don't know. I've noticed lately that the American first-city capital isn't always Washington. I tend to play American simply because I easily recognize the names. I've started several AI games where I ended up changing the Capital name to Washington. I assume that there is a random element to this as in many other parts of the game.

------------------
    Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Several us from the Dark Side of the Micromachine world have noticed that this tends to happen if you have a game in progress and then start a new one with the same civ without ending the game entirely first. I've even had the Viking Queen start out by building various Roman cities that come after Rome in the Roman list of cities. It appears to be some kind of undetected memory allocation error.

Ken

Comment

In a current game as the Frenchies, my first city was Strasbourg! Then came Bordeaux, Naples(!) and a slew of European names from places other than La Belle France. Finally I got sick of it and renamed all my cities with the names we know and love. I had just played a game as the French and the next city i built would have been named Strasbourg. Could this have something to do with?

Comment

I have confirmed Ken Hinds observation. I greated and save several American game in a row and only the first one used Washington as the capital! I didn't try other civs but based on Valmont's note, I guess it would be the same. Good call Ken!

------------------
          Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Thanks folks!

------------------
            finbar

Mono Rules!
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Well, Hey I guess those of us who never been able to figure out the Mac are good for something after all.

Glad to be of help.

Ken

Comment

So, is there a way to fix it?

Comment

re-name city
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Ken - mine eyes have been opened. For what it's worth, I can't fathom Windows things, which infuriates me, because (a) I've been around computers a long time, and (b) all boiled down, there doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot of difference between them these days.

Off-topic, I know. Sorry.

------------------
                    finbar

Mono Rules!

Comment

WARNING OFT REPLY to Finbar.

Finbar, I've been using, programming, or teaching classes about them since 1968 and I've just got to have my command line. That was my original complaint with the Mac when it came out and why I really don't like Window that much either. These Icon thingees just are not that intuitive to this old dinasaur. Wrkjob, addlib, dltf all make more sense to me than these silly Icons do.

Ken

Comment

More OFF Topic! Actually how can you have a Mac forum without the compare and contrast thing...as long as we don't start l flaming! Maybe we need a new Topic!

I partially agree with Ken. Living with NT at work is annoying sometimes do to the lack of simple common DOS-like commands. While NT is a huge improvement in stability and allows the IS guys to lock stuff down tighter than a drum (another BIG annoyance), it feels difficult to hack, especially when adding third party cards. I miss the direct access that Sysedit and File Manager gave. But I definitely DO NOT miss the crashes of Win 3.1! If anything ever makes me jump ship at home it will be the lack of protected memory on the Mac OS! Apple has been putzing with a modern OS for WAY to long and I wish that they would hurry up and roll out OS X!

I think the main advantage of the Mac OS today is when stuff gets corrupted. It is very easy to find and replace files in the Mac OS. With Window (past and present) it seems that programs are loaded with a shotgun and when they get boogered-up it's impossible to find the damaged file. And if you are using Norton Disk Doctor on a Mac it is even easier. NDD will tell you which specific file is damaged, where it is and if it needs replacing or if NDD can fix it.

------------------
                        Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad

Comment

End this forum.There is squat for topics and they are whining about flaming.Enough.Nice experiment.
                          [This message has been edited by Smash (edited September 18, 1999).]
                          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Working...
                          X