Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you miss any of the features that were in the previous Civ games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you miss any of the features that were in the previous Civ games?

During the Civ series, features of the game have been dropped to make the games more approachable to more people. I've been wondering that do people miss these features? I miss most (although the civ franchise was owned by another company) the future that was in CTP and CTP2. IMHO the future technologies, wonders and units made the game extremely interesting after you had played the same game for many hours (even days) and the technological progress in the game still went forward. It sort of created this illusion of the world progressing during the whole length of the game.

Do you, and if you do (when you do ), what features do you miss most from the previous Civs?

yah, I would like more specific future stuff

Comment

I really miss the Caravans. It was always exciting to successfully get a trade windfall from successfully getting a Caravan to a faraway city.

Comment

The load map option of civ 3 is what I miss the most and the whole map editor. I also remember all the scenarios that came out with civ2 gold edition. I consider this the high point in ease of creating them. I think a way should be made to get back to this but some aid will have to be given in the graphics to do so. The edition which included the science fiction and Fantasy worlds took this away but it did allow for more meaningful changes. The versions of civ since then have made it even more difficult for the graphic elements. These graphics should not be a hindrance to scenarios. Perhaps some premade ones with a graphics editor to add them to the game would be in order.This would be useful for resources as well.
        Last edited by jlhughes; December 23, 2005, 16:31.

Comment

Part 2

I forgot, I would like the ability to add another age so that some science fiction elements could be used in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by tocon002
            I really miss the Caravans. It was always exciting to successfully get a trade windfall from successfully getting a Caravan to a faraway city.
            You can do that when you get with the Merchant Great Leaders.

Less flexible, but still available.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

From CTP

In CTP, I loved the submarine roads.

What a waste of time to still have to use transport to carry units from one continent/island to the other.
              OK, I know there are airports, but it is limited to one unit at a time.
              Si vis pacem, para bellum (9 mm)

Comment

I miss the covered wagon that was used for the settler graphic in civ1. Now that the settler is seperate from the worker unit, it could be used again.
                In CTP I miss the undersea cities and roads.
                I do like the idea of the supply crawler that was used in smac

Comment

Eh, I miss the caravan too, and some different way to manage city trade (non-automated). Perhaps they can add this as a mini-game in some expansions.

One more thing I miss is the newspaper columns from Civ 1 (but that is highly unlikely to make a return), and that simple view with citizens from Civ 1. they could perhaps add a sophisticated version of it.

One more thing that I miss from Civ 1 is the sinking of continents with global warming! That was sooo cool, and haven't seen it in Civ 4.
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

They didn't sink, they just got drier, plains would turn into deserts and grassland into plains. They did sink in SMAC though, or to be more precise, the water would rise. Damn, I played too much of this stuff

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                      One more thing that I miss from Civ 1 is the sinking of continents with global warming! That was sooo cool, and haven't seen it in Civ 4.
                      This can certainly be introduced in a mod scenario.
                      I remember that there was a pre-build scenario in CTP or CTP2 that did that - island sinking after a volcano eruption !
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum (9 mm)

Comment

I miss the food caravan option from Civ2. It was nice to help out a city which was surrounding by hills with a couple food caravans. Although I am glad they eliminated the option of being able to rush wonders with those caravans.

Comment

Simple interface

I miss the City tote from Civ2. The colour-coded names for cities in "We Love..." and disorder let you quickly do the rounds to cheer everyone up.

I also hate the way, in Civ4, the city tote reorders itself every time you go back to it from a city. If I want to see the cities in Beaker production order, that's the way I want to see them until I say otherwise.
                          Tim Bromige

Comment

Originally posted by oldmrsmith
                            I miss the food caravan option from Civ2. It was nice to help out a city which was surrounding by hills with a couple food caravans.
                            I second that, just loved that realistic option

Although I am glad they eliminated the option of being able to rush wonders with those caravans.
                            I love it though

In Call To Power I learned a neat little trick, perfectly legal

I would put a city on a wonder I knew would take a while when I knew it would take a while to research

Then on decent production cities build units like Calvary and send to that city and disband them, even though I would recoup all my investment, I could rush build the wonder that way
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I miss the quality of the wonder-movies in SMAC (they were the best)
                              I miss nuke wars
                              I miss the paper from Civ1
                              I miss the "animation" from Civ1, when a city finished a construction
                              I miss the spaceship from Civ1
                              I miss the more "dynamic" leaderheads in Civ3 (where they changed with age)

Originally posted by jlhughes
                              Part 2

I forgot, I would like the ability to add another age so that some science fiction elements could be used in the game.
                              Modding might be an option, I doubt we'll see the future (or just near future) in an XP to Civ4
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X