Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Civilization a God game or a Mortal Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Civilization a God game or a Mortal Game?

It's been said before and noted that Civilization is categorized as a "God game".

But is it really a God game? Does hovering above the world looking down on it and controlling everything make it a God game?

If it does, should Civilization even be a God game?

For those of you who have played MMORPG's (I'm not suggesting to make Civilization an MMORPG (or though that would be equally as fun) but I am just using MMORPG's as an example because of their huge open worlds), consider something like World of Warcraft, can you imagine being ONE of the people in your civilization, can you imagine fighting your own battles with your own soldiers? can you imagine standing outside your parliament house in 2010 looking over your massive advanced city?

What do people prefer? To be God or not to be God, that is the question.
    Yes, God Game is what Civilization is.
    71.43%
    No, Civilization is not a God game, but it should not be like an MMORPG
    17.14%
    A leader should be amongst his people, it should be like an MMORPG
    8.57%
    undecided/don't care
    2.86%
    be free

To be God, of course! If you want to fight use your king unit.
    "We, civilizations, now know that we are mortals...", Paul Valéry

Comment

Umm...what's the MMO in MMORPG stand for?

Whatever the case, I think Civilization should be a 'god game'. It is a god game, and always has been a god game. Anything else would no longer be 'Civilization'. (Not that 'anything else' couldn't make a good game though. )
      "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online
        be free

Comment

God or soldier? Give me a minute to think about it.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

God-definately

Although it'd be cool to be a person or a party in a couple of situations. For example if u wanted to state or propose something in your parliament.

Tomasz

Comment

Niether, it's a nation game. When I play a game like civ, I am the embodiment of it's people, it's leaders, it's culture. I am not an individual, but I am not disconected from my the civilization that I am controling, either.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

One game can't be everything. Civilization should do its best to be a nation game and leave the mortal game thing to Neverwinter Nights, or whatever we have these days.
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
                  One game can't be everything. Civilization should do its best to be a nation game and leave the mortal game thing to Neverwinter Nights, or whatever we have these days.
                  That's just it though, we DON'T have anything.
                  be free

Comment

not a God game, but it should not be like an MMORPG...

If it was a God game, you would control all civs. Maybe a god game, but still not in my mind. Too much "fantasy" and not enough reality.

MMORPG? PBEM/MP doesn't even come close... thank god.
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Civ a God game?

I don't see why it should be called a God game...
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

If being the supreme guiding spirit of a civilization is making it a god game(which I think), it is.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

God-They'd have a hard time getting over the fact that they couldn't call it Civilization IV. Either they or I would.
                          Red meat isn't bad for you... fuzzy green meat is....

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py

That's just it though, we DON'T have anything.

What do you consider a "mortal game"? Something like The Sims?
                            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Working...
                            X