Do I get the Civilization board game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I get the Civilization board game?

I'm a big board game person, especially historical and Risk-like games. Should I get the Civilization Boardgame? As in, is it a fun experience, or just a waste of time?

Thanks...
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

I have been curious about the boardgame myself.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I've been pondering getting the boardgame for a while. I have the original boardgame but have never played it. It seemed too complicated at the time and I misplaced some pieces. The new boardgame could be fun. I'd enjoy playing it with certain people who haven't played the computer game, and I think I'd enjoy playing it with other people who have played the computer game more than actually playing the computer game with them. The current boardgame may well be too complicated for a boardgame as well. I would likely end up only playing the quickest version of the game. In general it's much better to play on the computer so there's no problem with forgetting rules, accidentally breaking the rules, getting pieces scattered, or having to leave the board sitting, or having to work with someone else's schedule.

Comment

You should get the Avalon Hill's Civilization boardgame instead. Excellent game.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          You should get the Avalon Hill's Civilization boardgame instead. Excellent game.

It truly is an excellent game UR. You can download a freeware version of this game patched and ready to go here CivilizationAH
          You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
          We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

I just picked up a used copy on ebay, saving me a lot on the high retail price. After playing it some already, I'd say that if you like other board games such as Risk or Axis & Allies, you will probably like this one.

Besides conducting battles, you will also being dealing with and trading commodities as in the original Avalon Hill version, and will have to accumulate technologies, as in the PC version of Civ. There can be paths to victory other than by conquest.

Comment

No real surprises there, but still helpful information.

Comment

I've seen the board game before. To be quite honest, it didn't really seem like anything too special.

What is that Diplomacy board game like? I hear that one's a classic.

Comment

Did you get it?

Comment

What is that Diplomacy board game like? I hear that one's a classic

It can be but it depends so very much on who you play with. The actual game is really basic so it's the interaction between the players that makes it (or not).

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                      What is that Diplomacy board game like? I hear that one's a classic.
                      It can be but it depends so very much on who you play with. The actual game is really basic so it's the interaction between the players that makes it (or not).
                      That's true. The game itself is very simple. The uniqueness of the games comes from the interaction between the players....making alliances, setting plans, "stabbing" your allies.

That was what I didn't like about the game, not matter if I was the double crossed or the double crosser. I don't recommend playing it with friend because feelings can get hurt.

Comment

We could play a DIP forum game here if there is interest ... other boards (www.eventis.ws, www.mzocentral.net ) have such games already going.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Snoopy, I made a post in that thread. I might find some time for this now and again.

Comment

Working...
                            X