Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version name of Risk?

Hi all,

A while back I played a version of the boardgame Risk with some folks, and it was not the standard version I played as a kid. Now, I would like to buy this version, but I don't recall the name.

There was a Moon area, and there were countries in the oceans as well. There were also Leaders and a bunch of risk-type cards that applied only if you had the corresponding Leader unit.

Anyone know what this version of Risk is called?

I recall a place my son was at playing a risk board with the moon on it, and some other differences, I think it was called Risk 2020
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

?
      Administrator at
      www.quantum9.com
      Visit the forums!
      www.quantum9.com/forums

Comment

Re: Version name of Risk?

Originally posted by Kinjiru
        Hi all,

A while back I played a version of the boardgame Risk with some folks, and it was not the standard version I played as a kid. Now, I would like to buy this version, but I don't recall the name.

There was a Moon area, and there were countries in the oceans as well. There were also Leaders and a bunch of risk-type cards that applied only if you had the corresponding Leader unit.

Anyone know what this version of Risk is called?
        I've been thinking about buying that one for some time now. I think it's actually called Risk 2210. How is it? Since you want to buy it, can I assume it's a good game? I also just noticed two other versions: Risk Godstorm and Lord of the Rings Risk. Anyone played either of these? If so, how do they stack up?
        Last edited by Aabraxan; December 4, 2004, 11:52.

Comment

2210 looks cool. You can play the standard game with it. I've seen the game but not played it.

I have LOTR Risk and have played it a few times. I like it a lot. Obviously the map is Middle Earth, which I like a lot. You can play with standard rules or additional rules, but I've only played it with standard rules. It does seem that they left some things out of the rules, but that can be easily fixed with house rules, using the standard game as a guide. I like to play two player games as the bad guys starting in the south. You can only have up to four players.

I just want more Risk games, like Mesoamerica and Dune. And I wouldn't mind having LotR Risk on the computer.

Comment

Thanks. I've had the original Risk for years, but I'm curious as to whether the extras in Risk 2210, such as devastation markers, leaders, moon and sea colonies, improve game play. I have Risk on computer, but I haven't played it in years.

Comment

Re: Re: Version name of Risk?

Originally posted by GameGeek

Lord of the Rings Risk. Anyone played either of these? If so, how do they stack up?
              I have Lord of the Rings Risk and I like it better than the Original. You have to pay attention to the sea lanes, their utility is a bit surprising the first time you play if you don't.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Yep. I had thought that it was an advantage to start with forces built up in the south, but I guess with the sea lanes it's not such an advantage.

Comment

having seen the thread in Apolyton/community, now I am here.

My brother got Risk 2210 as a christmas present a couple of years ago. would have been better when we were kids, we would have played it more. But as adults, it's hard to get together and get a long board game together. So I have only played this game once.

In fact, because I've only played it once (and even then- I took over for someone midway through the game), I have forgotten alot.

I would say it's better than risk simply because it has more options and I'd say it has more strategy because of it. Too much of classic risk relied on luck of the cards. And the one cool thing (if you don't like spending forever on a game) is the time limit. The one thing I do remember is some cool strategy the last turn of the game. People saved up some cards they never thought they'd use, but they came in handy.

I'm not sure it's better than the original. But maybe I say that because of nostalgia sake. But it's worth checking out imho.

Comment

Well, the real problem with Classic Risk board game is that Australlia had only one direction attacks could come from.

By comparsion (% of border territories)

Australia : 25%
                    North America : 33%
                    Asia : 42% *
                    South America: 50%
                    Africa : 50%
                    Europe : 56% !!!

* Asia border length can be graeatly reduced by:
                    1. Owning Ausralia
                    2. Defending Central Asia from the Ukraine in Europe.

That would combine to reduces the border percent to 18%
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                      * Asia border length can be graeatly reduced by:
                      1. Owning Ausralia
                      2. Defending Central Asia from the Ukraine in Europe.

That would combine to reduces the border percent to 18%
                      The only problem with defending in the Ukraine is that you are subject to attack from way to many places. I feel like Asia is nearly impossible to defend.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

My father has a real ancient edition where the Ukraine territory is called "Sovjetunionen-Ukraina" (no, I'm not gonna translate that for you). I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a newer edition at a friend's in which it just said "Ukraina".

There's an online version out there somewhere that lets you play on random maps. Can't be arsed to find the link.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                          The only problem with defending in the Ukraine is that you are subject to attack from way to many places. I feel like Asia is nearly impossible to defend.
                          Grabbing Ukraine is a must if you want to hang on to Asia. Then again, nobody managed to do it in all the games I've played. Including me.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I never even attempt Asia (unless I'm forced to because most of my territories are there)

I'm more fond of the smaller continents, and try to to a slow steady rise to the top. Australie and S. American are 2 of my favs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              I never even attempt Asia (unless I'm forced to because most of my territories are there)

I'm more fond of the smaller continents, and try to to a slow steady rise to the top. Australie and S. American are 2 of my favs.
                              I like those two as well. I do try to innocently build an army in some out of the way Asian territory (Bringing it to fruition with a book). The small continents are simply feints until I can unlease my Asian hordes!

Comment

Working...
                              X