Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Font problem with Civ II Gold in Classic (Mac OS X 10.3.3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Font problem with Civ II Gold in Classic (Mac OS X 10.3.3)

Hi,

new to this forum. Very nice site btw.

Just one question:

Civ II Gold runs fine in my Classic environment. But: The font used in the game seems to be Chicago (the old Mac system font) IIRC. It should be soething like Times. I looked at another installation on a friends iBook (also Classic on Mac OS X 10.3.3) and he didn't have the problem.

How can that be?

Edit to add: I have version 1.1 of the game
    Last edited by clueless; May 20, 2004, 10:21.

I don't know the answer to your primary question, but perhaps *you* can help me: You say Civ II Gold runs great in the Classic environment. Do you physically have OS 9.x on the computer in order for Civ II Gold to run in the Classic, or is the Classic strictly generated just by OS X with no need for OS 9.x installation and/or discs?

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

[SIZE=1] Do you physically have OS 9.x on the computer in order for Civ II Gold to run in the Classic, or is the Classic strictly generated just by OS X with no need for OS 9.x installation and/or discs?
      Classic just means running Mac OS 9 inside Mac OS X. If you open the classic control panel in Mac OS X you see that it asks for a system folder. You just need Mac OS 9 (dunno if Mac OS 8.6 would work too) somewhere on your drive.

Panther (Mac OS X 10.3) doesn't include Mac OS 9 anymore. You have to buy that seperate. AFAIK new Macs also do not come with Mac OS 9. Panther includes the classic software but you still need a system folder and the other stuff. You can use any Mac OS 9 install and just copy it on the Panther hard disk.

Comment

Ah, that's what I thought. So I'd have to scrounge up a copy of OS9.x from somewhere in addition to a new computer.

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
          Ah, that's what I thought. So I'd have to scrounge up a copy of OS9.x from somewhere in addition to a new computer.
          Yup. What are you using now?

Comment

I tried to make this point before... I'll try again with pictures...

This is a picture of the contents of the Sofware Install and Restore CD that comes with a G5.

Notice the icon that is labeled "Install Applications & Classic Support"... This is all you need, and it ships with the computer.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Insane
              Notice the icon that is labeled "Install Applications & Classic Support"... This is all you need, and it ships with the computer.
              Huh, systems before Panther came with a seperate Mac OS 9 CD. I was under the impression that this "Classic Support" only installs the stuff to be able to run the old Mac OS. But I guess this the way to do it since new Macs won't boot directly into 9 anymore anyway.

Comment

I use 8.6 and have planned for a few years now to upgrade to a new iMac, but have put it off time and time again as upgraded Mac OS's came out seemingly every six months.

So, judging from Insane's pictures, if I get a new iMac G4, I won't need to pick up an OS9.x install disk? Everything I need will be on the computer and/or accompanying disks?

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                  I use 8.6 and have planned for a few years now to upgrade to a new iMac, but have put it off time and time again as upgraded Mac OS's came out seemingly every six months.

So, judging from Insane's pictures, if I get a new iMac G4, I won't need to pick up an OS9.x install disk? Everything I need will be on the computer and/or accompanying disks?

Gatekeeper
                  hi ,

yep , well it should be , ....

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

So ...

Anyone likes to help me with my font problem?

Comment

I'm not certain, but I think Civ II Gold uses both Chicago (Lucida Grande these days I believe) and Times in various places. Where in particular are you seeing problems?

The only think I can think of fontwise is the settings for font smoothing in the Apperance control panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Insane
                        I'm not certain, but I think Civ II Gold uses both Chicago (Lucida Grande these days I believe) and Times in various places. Where in particular are you seeing problems?
                        All over the place. On my friends iBook everything was in a serif font (pretty sure it was Times). Civilopedia entries, city names, dialogue boxes, everything. And all that stuff here is in Chicago. Wich makes it hard to read sometimes, because that font is not made for longer texts. And it wastes spaces on the map and in some windows where I can't see every line. I always have to fight with the lower right status window to see how much money I have
                        Lucida Grande? The Mac OS X system font? Where should that be in Civ II Gold?

The only think I can think of fontwise is the settings for font smoothing in the Apperance control panel.
                        I didn't know that that could affect the Classic environment too.

Here's a screencap:

Comment

Hmm. Is there a default font setting somewhere in the system that the computer falls back on when a program doesn't specify a font? On my system, there's an option to set the desktop/menu fonts from a control panel ... it almost looks like that might be the cause in your case. But, then again, I'm no Mac expert.

Gatekeeper

Comment

edit: insane pre-empted my rant.

How many more times.....

Re: the font problem. Put a copy of Times in the OS 9 Font Folder - it should be in the system folder. If it is already there, make sure that you haven't used Font Book to disable that copy of the font. If you have use Font Book to turn it on again.

Or look in the Classic Preference Pane in System Preferences and make sure that "Use Mac OS 9 Preferences" is checked.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by clueless

All over the place. On my friends iBook everything was in a serif font (pretty sure it was Times). Civilopedia entries, city names, dialogue boxes, everything. And all that stuff here is in Chicago. Wich makes it hard to read sometimes, because that font is not made for longer texts. And it wastes spaces on the map and in some windows where I can't see every line. I always have to fight with the lower right status window to see how much money I have
                              Lucida Grande? The Mac OS X system font? Where should that be in Civ II Gold?

This is not an OS X problem. Check your classic settings in system preferences.

I didn't know that that could affect the Classic environment too.
                              It can't.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X