Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ II in OS10.3.x Classic Environment ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ II in OS10.3.x Classic Environment ...

... does it work properly? If it does, I won't have as much of a problem moving on up to that OS (and a new iMac). If it doesn't ... **pulls photon pulse rifle out** ... let's just say I'll have Issues to contend with.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

It worked OK in Jaguar. I deleted Classic as I never used it and it was just taking up space. It shouldn't make a difference as there have been no changes to classic for about 2 years now. It's just an OS 9 shell anyway.

As I said before, take your copy of Civ II into the shop and make it clear that a sale is dependent on you testing it on the machine of your choice.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

I concur with Agathon.

It should work.
      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

You two are absolutely sure? I've never been able to get a concrete answer about this on other forums — about as close as I got was, "it depends on the program."

I'd test it on a machine before buying, but I get my iMacs via UPS (I generally buy through MacZONE ... pretty good outfit), and there's no local Apple re-sellers in my area.

On the assumption that it does work, how would one go about editing files such as RULES.TXT and CITY.TXT? Would that be done with the Classic shell up and running? Also, could I simply copy those files onto a disk and transfer them to the new iMac? Furthermore, does Classic and OSX operate concurrently (i.e. I can surf the Web in X and play Civ II in Classic at the same time)?

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

The editing and such is still possible yes. Do it all the time.
          I have been having problems with MP games though, but I am not sure if it was me or the ones I tried to play against (both Windows machines, which usualy works fine but these problems *might* be caused by their fire walls).
          No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

So you have no problem with editing the files and playing standard SP games, Henrik? That's my main area of concern ... I don't play MP, so that wouldn't affect me so much.

Gatekeeper

Comment

SP works fine, somewhat slower but quite acceptable with 10.3. The screen updated anoyingly slow when playing civ 2 in classic on 10.2 and bellow though.
              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                You two are absolutely sure? I've never been able to get a concrete answer about this on other forums about as close as I got was, "it depends on the program."
                I got it to work on Jaguar.

I'd test it on a machine before buying, but I get my iMacs via UPS (I generally buy through MacZONE ... pretty good outfit), and there's no local Apple re-sellers in my area.
                Friends? PM Mono and ask him. I no longer have classic installed on my machine.

On the assumption that it does work, how would one go about editing files such as RULES.TXT and CITY.TXT? Would that be done with the Classic shell up and running? Also, could I simply copy those files onto a disk and transfer them to the new iMac? Furthermore, does Classic and OSX operate concurrently (i.e. I can surf the Web in X and play Civ II in Classic at the same time)?
                Classic opens within OS X (basically it just boots up an OS 9 shell). You get an overlay of the OS 9 interface when you select a classic application (so you get the classic menubar and classic themed windows. It switches back to OS X if you select an OS X application (by clicking in the dock or on its window).

You can do anything in X and play Civ II in classic at the same time.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This thread has been highly informative. I always feared that if I went to 10.3.x, I'd lose the ability to play Civ II, and that was something I did *not* look forward to, Civ III or not.

Gatekeeper

P.S. Are Civ III files easy enough to alter, too?

Comment

altering Civ III files?

You mean like creating a scenario or like just 'cheating'?

Comment

Yeah, alter as in like adding city names, customizing certain rules and so on. I don't play MP (and even if I did, I wouldn't host). I've tweaked the RULES.TXT and CITY.TXT files in Civ II for the better, IMO (I got the AI to use cruise missiles against cities and land units, for starters).

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
                        SP works fine, somewhat slower but quite acceptable with 10.3. The screen updated anoyingly slow when playing civ 2 in classic on 10.2 and bellow though.
                        My SP really laboured in 10.2.4. The screen used to wipe slowly when I moved around the map. In 10.3 it's significantly quicker, if not what it was in 9.x. At least the screen moves normally around the map now instead of wiping.
                        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

That's cool (on the cruise missiles) how'd you manage that, Gatekeeper?

What other modifications did you do? I might just want a copy of your rules.txt.

Comment

FlameFlash:

The modified code for the altered cruise missiles is: Cruise Msl., nil, 1, 12.,1, 18a,0d, 1h,3f, 4,0, 0, Roc, 001000000000000

I've made other, extensive, modifications to my RULES.TXT file, going so far as to incorporate the three "extra" units (a samurai, dirigible, and ship) into various eras of the game (and the AI makes use of 'em, too). I've also added in a few extra technology prerequisites that keep anyone from getting nukes too early (among other things). It's all an effort on my part to finesse the "balancing" aspect of the game and I'm mostly pleased with the results (nothing, and I mean nothing, will get the AI to effectively use aircraft carriers).

Touching back on the cruise missiles, I think that if a unit has three or more hit points, the AI will target it with the cheaper missiles. It's nice to see missile assault on cities, even if they're not always effective.

Gatekeeper

Comment

So... update... what happened?
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X