Random Pollution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Pollution

Question: I am playing the original Civilization on Mac using system 9. When my population reaches around 70 million I start getting random pollution in cities with no visible pollution, no power plants, plenty of pollution controls, no problems at all. The pollution comes every turn, 1 to 4 instances per turn. Is this a bug? Is there a fix? Thanks.

Global warming?

Comment

I'm assuming you're in the industrial age or beyond when this happens. Do you have combustion and/or automobile? Combine this all together, and it triggers pollution, even if you have a city that isn't heavy industrial.

It's not a bug.

You can shut it off by saving the game as a scenario. If you don't mind having a big red "CHEAT" after your name in the Hall of Records, you can do it this way:

1. Begin the game normally.
      2. Go into the cheat menu and go under rules.
      3. Once there, toggle "no pollution" (or something like that ... I'm doing this on memory alone).
      4. While still in the cheat menu, toggle the scenario option.
      5. Leave.
      6. Save the game as you normally do.

That should get rid of your pollution problem.

Gatekeeper
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Skywalker, thanks for the info. I do not care about the cheat label. I just want to maximize the size of my world. I customized the world so that I would have maximum land space for maximum people. I whittled the opposition down to one city so that the game could be extended until my retirement date (emp. level) when my space ship arrives. In order to avoid pollution I have not built any factories etc. So here I am working on Future Tech 44, trying to build big cities, I am sure that there are NO smoke stacks in my cities, but still the pollution comes. I figure that the game is cheating. Now, how do I get to this cheat menu?

Comment

It's called "Cheat" and is located in the menu bar when you're playing the game. And it was I, not skywalker, who provided something other than a two-word response, thankyouverymuch.

Gatekeeper
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

My apologies Gatekeeper. There is no "cheat" on my menu bar. I checked to see which version of Civ I have, it is 1.1.2. Does this make a difference? I also checked the demographics menu to see if there was any "invisible" pollution. The pollution line showed ZERO. While I was in there I played one more turn and FIVE more pollution incidents occured. I suppose I could use the save cheat and the settler cheat to clean this up in a single turn, but I do not want to do this for the last 100 years of my reign. This is almost enough to convince me to buy CivII.

Comment

Goodness. You're playing Civ I on the Macintosh? I thought by original Civ, you meant Civ II, since Civ III is out and IV is supposedly in the works. (I wasn't aware Civ I ever came out for the Mac ... I only played it on my SNES.)

If that's the case, I can't help you, and my apologies for assuming it was Civ II (which is what my info was geared toward).

Gatekeeper

Comment

Thanks for the help anyway. I will probably bump up to Civ II anyway in which case I will probably be posting pleading for more help.

Comment

See ya 'round, then.

Comment

Wow, I didn't even see the "original". I thought he was talking about C3

Comment

Yes, back in the old days we soldiered along with a few Megs of beautiful software on very small, slow machines. There really isn't anything like the original.

Comment

Hah!

I first played Civ as a boardgame.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

That wasn't the same civ though

(why am I posting in the MAC forum?)

Comment

Yeah it was, the first computer game (which I played as soon as it came out) was a development of the boardgame from Avalon Hill.

I don't mean the Sid Meier boardgame, but the original Avalon Hill one designed by Francis Tresham that came out in the early 80s. It was a great game and a whole lot of fun the more people that played it.

Frankly, anyone who didn't start by playing the AH version in the 80s is a n00b. That includes you Ming.

I notice you got the 7000th post in the mac forum too.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                              That wasn't the same civ though

(why am I posting in the MAC forum?)

You came to us...

Anyway, is there a place I might buy the original version, it'd be nice to play it and I have an old enough comp collecting dust that it might actually work on that one. (Unlike my current which is running x.2 right now.)
                              I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Working...
                              X