Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can somebody help me with Civ1 strategy here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody help me with Civ1 strategy here?

I've got a problem and I don't know how to fix it. A couple of my very large cities with granaries and surrounded by irrigated, railroaded squares are somehow, inexplicably, experiencing food shortages, and their population has plummeted with no end in sight. One of them is down to 7 (from 15!) and they're STILL having a food shortage. What the hell?!! How do I stop this bull****?

What's your government, and more important: do you have a screenshot of one of the cities?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Did some enemy units perhaps cross your territory, making the cities unable to harvest the squares, and did you forget to put the workers back after that?
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I found the problem, something I didn't even think about at first (it's been a long time since I've played): the city had too many entertainers/scientists/tax collectors and not nearly enough workers to produce enough food to support it.

Comment

As Maniac already mentioned:

If enemy units went over your land (and stopped there), the worker will be changed to entertainer. Sometimes quit annoying, if it happens every round.

Comment

Ah, I didn't know that could cause workers to be changed. The weird thing is, the enemy hasn't gotten anywhere near that city, ever. I'm way ahead of them in tech and while they were destroying improvements around one of my border towns, I started sending fast units to intercept and destroy their pitiful invasion forces before they even got that far. Anyways, it shouldn't be a problem again until I make contact with another civ; I just started blitzkrieg against them and they're falling very quickly to my vastly superior forces.

Comment

If you switched governments to go on the offensive, you may not have noticed that squares are producing less food then prior.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's fun to use the strategy against the AI as in Civ1 they don't seem to care when you siege their cities.
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

They don't care if you siege their cities, but I always thought dice for Sneak Attack was thrown once for each unit... so the less contact your units have with the enemy, less chance for Sneak Attack.

Comment

As a general rule, whenever I go into a city, I click in the middle square of the resource display, which re-sets the workers .. then fiddle to get the desired affect .. But if thats a little like hard work, you only need do it with the cities your losing food on.
                    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

a whole
                      civDOS (civilization for DOS PC) ( Sid Meier's Civilization )
                      subforum for
                      strategy hints:

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                        It's fun to use the strategy against the AI as in Civ1 they don't seem to care when you siege their cities.
                        Yes, but rarely is it the most efficive. Once you have the tech to build ancient offensive units, you can just clobber the opposition.

Comment

Working...
                        X