Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ 2 for mac - graphically better than the windows version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really, blackgryffin, the thing is that with CtP, CivII, and SMAX we Mac users can play with the PC users, and so there hasn't been much of a use for this board.

Whoever created this thread undoubtably was trying to get some more action started up in here... but there isn;t that much in the way of Mac Civving to discuss.

No CtP2 Mac people on the project? I'm not surprised, since we'd have to have a CD... and the ability to somehow create an app that would read all the files off of the CD and use them, and as we don't know how the original game worked, it'd be rather hard to port it ourselves, don't you think?

Likewise with CivIII. There's been discussion and complaint about the fact that nothing like Conquests has been ported over to our realm, but what can we really do about it? Complain. That's it.

About the only badge of Mac honor we have left is the civgroup MarkG made for us after some begging and me posting various icon ideas. I proudly wear the Mac badge, and go off and play CtP and SMAX with the rest of the PC crowd, because that's easier, honestly, than trying to get anything else done.

Though I do have a copy of the Carbonized versions of SMAC and SMAX if you want it, just PM me... other than that and the Transmogrifier, I'm not sure there's really anything left for us in the Civving world... there's MOO3, but that sucked, IMHO, no matter the platform you played on.
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

yes ... you are right ... and i'm really happy to share and play games with pc users ... i was just a bit angry with mac users ... lolololol
      b'cause argue about graphics is cool but reminds me how empty is our strategy games bag ... i know complaining leads nowhere !

but i really think we could benefit of the linux experience in such projects as the CTP2 source code project since mac osX is a based unix os ... i never said id was easy to create an app !!! sure it is not and i'm such an ignorant in programming stuff ... and i regret it but is this idea such impossible to realize ? it could be just ... great !
      • slytherin forever •
      http://www.wizardworkingonweb.net/

Comment

Yes, it could... but how many mac programmers do you know?

Comment

the 1 billion € question !

already posted some recruitments threads here and there i know ... i'm looking for the rare multicolor bird and i'm not optimistic but try is better than nothing
          • slytherin forever •

Comment

Very true... very true.

Comment

about SMAC, i tried once or twice and i must say i'v been ... disoriented ... but i know i have to try again is it true aliens crossfire brings a lot to alpha centaury ???
              • slytherin forever •

Comment

Completes the game, IMHO! You can't have SMAC without SMAX... there's just so much more SMAX adds that it's not even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by blackgryffin
                  but i really think we could benefit of the linux experience in such projects as the CTP2 source code project since mac osX is a based unix os ...
                  Wow, I gotta stop by here more frequently. I *know* I'm going to regret getting into this but...

What is the CTP2 source code project??

And, just FYI, Unix != Linux. It is true that they stem from the same basic root, but writing code for one isn't the same as writing for both.

The real issue here is that Linux and Unix are OPERATING SYSTEMS. If you are writing a command line tool, you're halfway there with the knowledge of one or the other. If you are writing a GUI application having a Linux background, or Unix one for that matter, isn't going to help you a whole lot.

Comment

hi insane !

yes, i know there are all different : different operating systems but if we consider the number of projects and applications made at sourceforge for mac os X too, ( that's never happened with mac os 9 ! ) maybe we can think X platform benefits of unix and linux projects ...

so ... as different as could be linux and mac os X, more people are involved in different kind of projecst for the mac os ! so ...

the CTP2 source code project : you can find all u want to know about in the main index of the forum, subject Call to Power 2

i'm sure u'll find this interesting !
                    Last edited by blackgryffin; July 29, 2004, 04:46.
                    • slytherin forever •

Comment

Actually, if we could somehow manage to get X11 involved in it... not too knowledgeable about X11, but that should be usuable to make it an easier port to OS X if it can get into a UNIX port...

Comment

speaking about X11 ... do you have panther installed on you mac flameflash ?
                        • slytherin forever •

Comment

X.3... whichever one that is... I don't keep up with the cat names, just with the features.

Comment

I'll probably check out Rise of Nations ... and continue enjoying Civ II, of course.

Gatekeeper
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                              I'll probably check out Rise of Nations ... and continue enjoying Civ II, of course.

Gatekeeper

Though wouldn't you have to get a new computer for that?

Comment

Yeah, I'm waiting to see what the new iMac models look like in September.
                                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                                X