Civ3 GOTM Installer (@ CFC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 GOTM Installer (@ CFC)

AlanH at CFC has written an installer for the Civ3 Mac version which will install everything you need to play the GOTM sponsored by CFC. It is very convenient. The current GOTM (#23) allows Mac players to play as the Arabs, plus PTW features are included. We're essentially getting PTW (minus MP) for free when plaing CFC's GOTM. You can get the installer here.

Also, a nice and clean way to run the GOTM is to simply copy your Civ3 folder to another location, change the name to Civ3_GOTM (for example), then install the GOTM23 packet. Yor're ready to go. Now, you can play the GOTM through one application and your personal games through the other. Also, to make things clearer, you can go into the text folder of Civ3_GOTM and edit in "GOTM" to the version text. This way, when you start up the application, you'll see version 1.29 beta 2 "GOTM" in the bottom left of the main menu screen.
    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

So, what does this exactly do?

I take it that it's only for those who are trying to play something or other at CFC?
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash
      So, what does this exactly do?

I take it that it's only for those who are trying to play something or other at CFC?
      Correct. If you wish to play CFC's GOTM, this installer will place everything you need in the correct folders.
      I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."

Comment

Hmm ... how's Bradman coming on an editor that's compatible with the 1.29 patch for Civ III Macintosh, dojoboy? Also, is there any word on Conquests and/or PtW minus the MP for the Mac version of Civ III?

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by dojoboy

Correct. If you wish to play CFC's GOTM, this installer will place everything you need in the correct folders.
          So I shouldn't download and play this for the heck of it?

Has anybody noticed that the newest version of the Civ III Mac patch (1.29f) is basically a crack? I don't need my CD inserted anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
            Hmm ... how's Bradman coming on an editor that's compatible with the 1.29 patch for Civ III Macintosh, dojoboy? Also, is there any word on Conquests and/or PtW minus the MP for the Mac version of Civ III?

Gatekeeper
            He is working on it is all I know. In fact, he mentioned recently that he just needs a little free time to complete the build. Concerning C3C, the feeling I get is its likely a mac port could happen. The thing that prevents my hopes from getting too high is that PTW is included. I don't know if that would be a "deal breaker."

Comment

So I shouldn't download and play this for the heck of it?
              No, go right ahead and play for the heck of it. You aren't obligated to submit your results. However, the install will alter your original Civ3 install, so copy the application and make it solely for GOTMs.

Originally posted by FlameFlash Has anybody noticed that the newest version of the Civ III Mac patch (1.29f) is basically a crack? I don't need my CD inserted anymore...
              Yep, isn't it grand! I've wondered if Brad did it purposely to bring some happiness to us macsters.

Comment

/me nods.

So the GOTM hack, you said that lets me have all the PTW nations, just not the multiplaye?

Comment

* FlameFlash nods.

So the GOTM hack, you said that lets me have all the PTW nations, just not the multiplaye?
                  Only when you play the GOTM our any past GOTMs since Mac inclusion. You can't generate a new game w/ the PTW civs and features. It is all specially generated by cracker over at CFC each month.

Comment

Ah, specifically generated monthly... then I won't worry about it, thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by dojoboy

Gatekeeper

He is working on it is all I know. In fact, he mentioned recently that he just needs a little free time to complete the build. Concerning C3C, the feeling I get is its likely a mac port could happen. The thing that prevents my hopes from getting too high is that PTW is included. I don't know if that would be a "deal breaker."
                      Well, that's some decent news to hang one's hopes on, anyway. I'm waiting for 10.3 to come out now before buying a new iMac, so I'm in no hurry (I've been angling for a new iMac since May, but they keep messing with the OS!).

Gatekeeper
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper

Well, that's some decent news to hang one's hopes on, anyway. I'm waiting for 10.3 to come out now before buying a new iMac, so I'm in no hurry (I've been angling for a new iMac since May, but they keep messing with the OS!).

Gatekeeper
                        Nice. Yeah, X.3 looks like it's really going to be good, and getting a Mac that comes with it preinstalled is always good. Just be sure to track down a OS 9 install disk since they don't prepackage 9 anymore to my memory.

Comment

^^^ I was under the impression that you could operate in the Classic environment — i.e., an OS 9 "shell" generated by OS X. One shouldn't need 9 to run programs that are capabe of operating in the X environment.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Right, that's true... but if you want to use the Classic environment you still need OS 9 installed on your computer.

Comment

Working...
                            X