Mac/Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac/Windows

Well, I've just returned from a two week sojourn in the UK. I spent one day fixing my Uncle's computer, which runs Windows XP. Would you believe that there were at least 70 security updates and fixes required to keep it up to date?

What's worse is that his computer kept freezing at boot time because XP thought he was a pirate. I had to reinstall everything since there was no other alternative for getting it to work again.

I'm no great techie by any means, but I tend to be a person that friends and family turn to for fixing computer problems since I can usually find out what's wrong and get it working again.

Over the last few years I have done a fair bit of work on computers owned by colleagues and friends. On the Macs I have fixed, the problems have always been those in which the person just doesn't know how to do a software update or connect to an ISP or some simple thing like that. Not one time has there been an actual technical failure. But among the computers running XP (2000 seems better) there are no end of technical problems that have required reinstalls or other costly software solutions. Even when there is a simple problem (like stopping messenger spam or the endless prompts to use MSN Passport) it is caused by XP's default configuration.

My question is why do people bother with this ****? If you are an ordinary non-techie user all that XP seems to cause you is endless heartache. Many people don't even understand that they need virus protection which is testament to the poor performance of salespeople who should inform their customers about the danger from viruses. Such people would be better off with a Mac. I returned home to find about 10 emails containing the sobig virus, but my computer just laughs at them. I hate to think how many home users of XP have unwittingly spread this thing around the planet.
    Only feebs vote.

/me applaues.
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

I switched to XP when it first appeared and I have never had any problems..well I did have a bad HD but that wasn't XPs fault.
      Its as easy as cake to keep up to date.Only klez snuck in once but that was my fault for clicking an e-mail(dumbass move-easy fix)
      I think its actually closer to 90 updates

Throw aside the vulnerabilty(stupidness and laziness are the vulnerabilty).The reason I like XP is because it remarkably similiar to MAC OS.
      Every OS has major vulnerabilties.Only a complete loser would attack MAC or Linux etc so that remains a big advantage.

One thing I will say after about 2 1/2 years in the Windoze world is there are ALOT of people that shouldn't be allowed to own or operate a computer
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I don't think it's much like the mac os. Trying to find your stuff is a pain in the backside.

I like OS X's dedicated folder structure and home folders.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I only went as far as 8.5.1 and found the similiarities remarkable.Certainly no coincidence either.I had absolutely 0 experience in Windows and was quickly navigating smoothly.

I don't understand what you mean by finding stuff.Its no easier or difficult for me.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

btw-I do like MAC OS much more but it was the old software thing for me.

Would you believe I switched because of Civ3?.....what a joke that turned out to be

Comment

Civ III didn't turn out to be worth the switch, eh?
              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Not exactly considering its been uninstalled for about a year and a half

Comment

Ouch! Hmm ... ever think of giving it another try, what with the release of PtW, its patches, and the upcoming Conquerors? Did you apply the 1.17, 1.21 and 1.29 patches to the original Civ III?

Gatekeeper
                  "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Smash
                    I only went as far as 8.5.1 and found the similiarities remarkable.
                    That's because Uncle Billy was furiously copying Apple. Things are a lot more different since the advent of OS X.

I don't understand what you mean by finding stuff.Its no easier or difficult for me.
                    There is a folder called "Program Files" in which Applications are to be found on XP. The problem is that finding the actual icon you use to start, say, Outlook Express can be a pain since it is usually called something else. You also have to uninstall programs through the Start Menu rather than the more intuitive method of dragging them to the trash.

In Mac OS X all apps are in the "Applications" Folder which is accessible from just about anywhere on the mac. They mostly come in packages which show up as just one icon. In any case all are clearly labelled and can be uninstalled by dragging to the trash.

Navigating through XP shows me a crapload of folders I'm not interested in. X is user based, you spend most of your time in your home folder or in the apps folder.

Windows always seems to me like a cheap and sleazy home stereo as compared with an audiophile system. There's too much useless crap everywhere.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                      Windows always seems to me like a cheap and sleazy home stereo as compared with an audiophile system. There's too much useless crap everywhere.
                      I think that sums it up nicely.
                      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Oh I see now.Well,I just use desktop shortcuts so not a problem for me....cept maybe once
                        I've found good and bad points in both OS.In a perfect world I could run my 8.5.1 forever and everything would work on it but it ain't a perfect world.

I did go as far as 1.29 patch for civ3 but that made the game worse if anything.Whoever thought that 40 turns to research a tech was a good plan was out to lunch.The tedious part of Civ games just comes on way too early..like 2000BC!
                        No PTW for me.I saw nothing that spiked my interest.MP is a bust and I wouldn't have liked it anyway as I don't like the game.
                        I have one small hope that someday it will have the ability to use events.txt or something.Scenarios would be great I think.Imagine a Red Front with bombarding,unit capturing etc.That would be awesome.

Comment

You'll be happy to hear there has been 2 more updates this week

This sucker is kinda like the blob.It just keeps growing and growing.....

Comment

Working...
                          X