What I miss about the good old days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I miss about the good old days.

Civilisation one is perhaps the best game that ever came out. I miss it heaps. The graphics were shotty, the music annoying and the gameplay not as great as the current incarnations. However it was fun.

That and being nuked was funny, especially when you had the munchies.
    Don't tell a twisted person he is twisted, he may take offence. (THAT MEANS ME!)
    Founder of the Mafia Poly Series (THATS RIGHT I STARTED IT)
    Nesing, come and see what its about in the Stories and Diplomacy threads.

Being nuked was not funny, but Civ1 kept me playing nearly every day for about 8-9 years. I still have my old Amiga just for playing Civ1.

the gameplay not as great as the current incarnations.
    If you mean Civ3, then I have to disagree.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

How about being PBed Jamski
      Promoter of Public Morale
      Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Comment

Grrrr

I haven't forgotten...

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I have to agree, Civ1 had a magical atmosphere. I would propably still prefer playing it instead of civ2 and civ3 if it would be improved a bit. New storyline, scenarios, capitalization
          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

I loved Civ1 becasue it was the first of its kind (that I was aware of anyway.) Even bought the windows version for slightly better graphics. But Civ2 is probably the greatest game ever made in my opinion. It has NEVER lweft my hard drive since the day it came out.
            Civ 3? I play it but its a major disspointment. (As in the Moo series) sometimes changing a game for the sake of changing it DOES NOT improve it.

Comment

Civ 1 was magical because of the fact it was so new, and unlike anything I had ever seen.
              "Dave, if medicine tasted good, I'd be pouring cough syrup on my pancakes." -Jimmy James, Newsradio

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion

Comment

if you like it so much, play it

Comment

I do still play it.
                  Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I'm talking to Sheep. He could just start the game.

Comment

Well, it can be hard to start up old games sometime. you need to know how to configure them to make them run. Civ1 DOS version is no problem, you can run it perfectly with a boot disk. But the windows version might give a bigger headache.

Comment

Yeah, see other threads... there are many ways, compatibility modes, windowsmemory setting for DOs games, DOS boot, keeping DOs machines around at low performance...

Comment

Yuo shall not run DOS files from within Windows as it is very unstavle, and requires new VMs to be created in the memory. Which also means that in the 9x versions you would have problem with more than 512 MB RAM

Comment

I do Win98 and I have 384 megs'o'ram so that's not a problem

Comment

I miss playing it also. I have no idea where my copy of Civ1 is because I've moved around so much in the past few years. I still play Colonization quite a bit......and my copy of Civ II and Civ III have yet to be found also.

Comment

Working...
                              X