Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Civ to the Next Level...

Taking Civ to the next Level...

From reading these some threads here and elsewhere, and from general knowledge, i see that Civ 3 was a disappointment to many fans. and although i appreciate the game for what it is, and acknowledge the better aspects of it, i must say there is plenty room for improvement, and addition.
    Civ 3 has a few new things to it, but these are mostly minor. it is basically the same game with no change to the gameplay. (though, the new Cultural Flipping is definetly a new, that should be done away with...)
    and i've read some complaints about this... a good many Civ fans seem to be looking for something more in the series, a sequel that isn't merely a rehash of its predesscor, the same story yes, but with whole new chapters.
    So far, there's nothing much new about Civilization (culture culture flip ),
    it seems Firaxis is trying to keep it as true to its past
    as possible - even mixing in some of the lesser aspects of SMAC such as seeing what the city is building
    (this needs to go, IMO) and the Diplomatic victory of being elected Sec-Gen of the UN. (Surpreme ruler of
    the World Council in AC)
    however, this was put in, but the overall functions of SMAC's world council was left out.
    and anyway, this victory condition is kinda lame... its not the UN runs the world, or the Sec-Gen has any importance. You wouldn't see Bush's aim as replacing Kofi-Anan. We all know who has a higher position of authority in the world...

So though the victory condition oughta go, the UN needs improving...

the upside is, not only the fans are noticing Civ needs to be taken to the next level.
    If you read Jeff Briggs interview with MSNBC, posted on the site here, or better yet, at Firaxis website itself, you'll see that he realizes this.
    making the UN something perhaps even better than the WC in SMAC is the first step of making something more out of the Civ series, something Civ fans are looking forward to. and though Briggs only brought up revamping the UN, there's potential for more. and not just on improving old things, but implementing new ones. perhaps even changing some ways the Civ game is played...

now its not the time to get hyped up, excited, or looking forward to a Civ 4. we still have more than a few good years of Civ 3 before us. (the thing with GalCiv is, its in the Galaxy, and Civ is Civ because its, well, Civ) there's mods to be made and played, Expansions and patches, and hours worth of Playing the World or the current AI left, hours upon hours.
    and nobody announced it or asked for our input. (but hey, we're free to dream of our ideas and
    suggestions - there's always a chance, you know...)

however, in response to those who were disappointed with Civ 3 and looking for something more or new in
    the game, that's what's this thread is about.

The question is, What is it you're looking for in a Future Civ, or a near-perfect Civ game?
    What new features, concepts, ways of play, etc. would you like to see?
    Where is it you want to see the Civ series go? in what way do you think it can be improved? What kind of civ game do you want to play?
    this isn't neccesarily another Suggestions for Civ 4 thread, but a question on How Civ can be taken to the next level.
    What is the next level?

Jeff Briggs proved that Firaxis isn't over with Civ, or closed eyed on making it a better game.
    He's on the right track.
    though most Apolytoner ideas were left out of Civ 3, some were implemented, in a
    way. and anyway, the List wasn't all to impressive - fantastic in content, poor in addressing itself. nothing was really specified and simply left at the mercy of time pressed coders.

i'm looking for an idea on what the fanbase is looking for...
    Last edited by altF18; May 2, 2003, 22:10.
    "Yesterday we bent our backs and paid homage to the kings, today we kneel only to the Truth." - Deus Ex

Re: Taking Civ to the Next Level...

Originally posted by altF18
    Taking Civ to the next Level...

From reading these some threads here and elsewhere, and from general knowledge, i see that Civ 3 was a disappointment to many fans. and although i appreciate the game for what it is, and acknowledge the better aspects of it, i must say there is plenty room for improvement, and addition.
    Civ 3 has a few new things to it, but these are mostly minor. it is basically the same game with no change to the gameplay. (though, the new Cultural Flipping is definetly a new, that should be done away with...) and i've read some complaints about this... a good many Civ fans seem to be looking for something more in the series, a sequel that isn't merely a rehash of its predesscor, the same story yes, but with whole new chapters.
    So far, there's nothing much new about Civilization (culture culture flip ),
    what about the new resource system? thats more than a rehash and it's one of the best parts of civ3

and for culture flips, it's a good concept, poorly executed. people should migrate, ie, pop points move to nearyby (possibly enemy) cities instead of a radical flip. smaller cities (ie, a size 1) would be able to flip.

it seems Firaxis is trying to keep it as true to its past
    as possible - even mixing in some of the lesser aspects of SMAC such as seeing what the city is building
    (this needs to go, IMO) and the Diplomatic victory of being elected Sec-Gen of the UN. (Surpreme ruler of
    the World Council in AC)
    however, this was put in, but the overall functions of SMAC's world council was left out.
    and anyway, this victory condition is kinda lame... its not the UN runs the world, or the Sec-Gen has any importance. You wouldn't see Bush's aim as replacing Kofi-Anan. We all know who has a higher position of authority in the world...

So though the victory condition oughta go, the UN needs improving...
    definately agree, the UN should have real votes / real power. there should be pros and cons for being in the UN, and being a rogue nation.

I also agree that the Diplo victory condition is horrendus, and i turn it off when i play.

i dont know what you mean by "see what the city is building", and why "it must go". please elaborate.

now its not the time to get hyped up, excited, or looking forward to a Civ 4. we still have more than a few good years of Civ 3 before us. (the thing with GalCiv is, its in the Galaxy, and Civ is Civ because its, well, Civ) there's mods to be made and played, Expansions and patches, and hours worth of Playing the World or the current AI left, hours upon hours.
    and nobody announced it or asked for our input. (but hey, we're free to dream of our ideas and
    suggestions - there's always a chance, you know...)

however, in response to those who were disappointed with Civ 3 and looking for something more or new in
    the game, that's what's this thread is about.

The question is, What is it you're looking for in a Future Civ, or a near-perfect Civ game?
    What new features, concepts, ways of play, etc. would you like to see?
    Where is it you want to see the Civ series go? in what way do you think it can be improved? What kind of civ game do you want to play?
    this isn't neccesarily another Suggestions for Civ 4 thread, but a question on How Civ can be taken to the next level.
    What is the next level?
    thats what this whole sub-forum is for. :P

and it's not just civ. it's other games developed by kids in their spare time ::cough cough::
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

What do I look forward to / hope for? That maybe in the next game I won't have to move three hundred workers or formers every turn.
      Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
        What do I look forward to / hope for? That maybe in the next game I won't have to move three hundred workers or formers every turn.
        Maybe you should try a lesser genre.....Sim City for instance.

No, seriously, micromanagement should be reduced as much as is possible through having a good interface, but units like workers or formers are necessary parts of civ. As long as a good system of stacking is implemented it works fine IMO.

Comment

what about the new resource system? thats more than a rehash and it's one of the best parts of civ3
          true, but it could be improved...

for one, road connections to get a good is a bad idea, i say we go back to tile working for this...

and for culture flips, it's a good concept, poorly executed. people should migrate, ie, pop points move to nearyby (possibly enemy) cities instead of a radical flip. smaller cities (ie, a size 1) would be able to flip.
          culture culture flips
          now, the system you propose is what many civ fans would rather see, immigration.
          even flipping small cities might be an offset...

and like SMAC, i think borders shouldn't grow due to anything but your cities and land claims.
          culture could have some other effect...

i dont know what you mean by "see what the city is building", and why "it must go". please elaborate
          this is just a personal opinion of mine - you know the heading under the city name that indicates what the city is building, taken from
          Alpha Centauri? (Rome * Hospital)
          leave it with SMAC, IMO. it ruins the look and feel of the game.

anyway, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for new makeovers for the game.
          i was reading some posts complaining about doing the same old thing again, and still having to do this or that,
          or the same porduction system and all. instead if complaining, i look forward to suggestions like, instead of trade being a diplomatic option,
          a CtP like Trade Screen is introduced. ( )
          you know, constructive discussion.
          "Yesterday we bent our backs and paid homage to the kings, today we kneel only to the Truth." - Deus Ex

Comment

Originally posted by panag
            hi ,

we need the option to draw borders , ... they should not be culture related , .....

have a nice day
            yes. i'm fairly sure they'll do something like this in civ4. borders are great, and they give people a good reason to build culture. but in civ4, thery could find other reasons to build culture, and borders could be controlled by several factors.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

yes. i'm fairly sure they'll do something like this in civ4. borders are great, and they give people a good reason to build culture. but in civ4, thery could find other reasons to build culture, and borders could be controlled by several factors.
              hi ,

, one can only speculate as how it would work in gameplay , ...

but the main thats needed , and this can be done even now is to give us a tool in the editor to draw borders , .... great for mods and scenarios , ...

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
              X