Navy Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Revolution

While playing Civilization Revolution (DS) I've noticed that I build a very small number of boats no matter what victory type I'm going for. Why? The first boat does little to help explore (except for those pesky little islands that hog the Artifacts). When they can finally enter the ocean the only goal is to find Atlantis. The map is to small to make sea travel convenient (unless the last civ is on another continent), but one boat can hold all your units. I'm rarely attacking more than one city at a time and can easily move my naval support from one to the next. So, is there a good reason I need more ships? And if so, why does the AI (like past games) not put much emphasis on their own navy?

Well haven't played Civ:Rev DS (because somehow something went terrible wrong with the shipment to EU). I would say that you have described a common problem with Civ. The only civ I have fealt that I needed an navy was in civ 2.
    What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

Yeah, I rarely use navy either. Battleships and cruiser fleets are useful for naval support, but by the time they come around I usually have the game pretty much won anyway.

And I agree: why does the AI build a bunch of ships but not put them in fleets? And why do they send armies over to my shores 1 at a time, when a ship can carry as many as they have?

Comment

Well, I guess that it's just another stupidity of the AI. And I hope that in future games naval forces will become more useful in situations other than island hopping.

Does the lack of responses mean there are no good uses for ships?

Comment

Originally posted by FFCivFan
          Well, I guess that it's just another stupidity of the AI. And I hope that in future games naval forces will become more useful in situations other than island hopping.

Does the lack of responses mean there are no good uses for ships?
          I think the lack of response is more that there seems to be few Civ:Rev players on apolyton. I think most guys are playing Civ 4 here. Me personally is waiting for my copy to arrive and I am mostly playing SMAC still.
          What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

Working...
          X